Thread: WoW in Unity 5

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    I'd tip my hat if I was wearing one! Great looking stuff there

If you end up doing Orgrimmar next, the metal probably shouldn't be too shiny. It's Orcs after all, not Blood Elves with their mirrors!

Undercity might be interesting too, with the ooze canals and shady nooks and crannies.

I love that the Unity version captures the darkness of the sky so well.

Long time no update but I did something new, didn't feel like making new thread about it so I'll just post it here

Decided to recreate to the best of my abilities The Burning Crusade Login Screen but with a few updates to the portal, making use of the updated WoD models.

Here's a video of it in action

I am in the middle of a bigger recreating project (involves a map and gameplay) but let me know if there's anything you guys would like to see redone, or if there's any tips for me on what could be improved.
    Last edited by KaNNis; 2017-02-19 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    That's sick. Do want!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmoz View Post
    Unfortunately we'll never see stuff this cool in wow. There's too many cry babies that'll whine about it somehow affecting their game play.
    Well, so sorry for not being able to keep with up with the Jones.

Do you recreate the assets or use the existing ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Do you recreate the assets or use the existing ones?
    Using existing assets for the game, I tend to make extra textures for them since I can use tessellation & normal mapping or other standards. I tend to edit the models for my needs if I need to, so for this one I switched the giant anvil looking thing on the left and removed the towers which are part of the model usually, you can see them in the WoD login screen.

(doublepoooost) Quick update: After some feedback, I went back and changed some things on the Burning Crusade Portal video, it now uses the effect that the original one had since I was able to replicate it a bit more correctly (still not exactly, some transparency/illumination issues with it), I've updated the video & screenshot above and added them to the first post as well in case anyone finds this

Dalaran, will always looks like a turd no matter what.

Nice screenshots! Being set in Unity, I'd imagine that the game would run much the same as the browser does while scrolling down: one frame every few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by ozusteapot View Post
    Nice screenshots! Being set in Unity, I'd imagine that the game would run much the same as the browser does while scrolling down: one frame every few seconds.
    nah, once all the lights were baked and the LoD/Occlusion was set properly I had it running at 60 fps solid on a my Laptop GTX 660m, not sure how bad it went beyond that, I was aiming at 60 for my machine and left it there

Quote Originally Posted by KaNNis View Post
    nah, once all the lights were baked and the LoD/Occlusion was set properly I had it running at 60 fps solid on a my Laptop GTX 660m, not sure how bad it went beyond that, I was aiming at 60 for my machine and left it there
    Keep in mind you're talking about an MMO. That you can get your sandbox to run at 60 fps doesn't mean all that much.

I always love these fan hobby creations. From the this to Azeroth ported into minecraft, it's always nice to load them up and walk around to appreciate the work put in.
    I can't wait for whatever you make next. If you're still taking reccomendstions into consideration, I echo that one guy talking about the Undercity.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Keep in mind you're talking about an MMO. That you can get your sandbox to run at 60 fps doesn't mean all that much.
    It's a great point, I did play around with that also a little bit, admittedly with having a lot of dynamic objects such as players with would end up draw calling uncontrollably all over the place, I had 50 walking around in that environment randomly since I was working on a video for it, but I did drop dramatically since I couldn't dynamic batch them due to their polycount, my knowledge hit a brick there so I stopped for now and focused on other things. I definitely want to know how to handle a big environment with a lot of dynamic things such as players in the most optimal way (GPU Instancing? Texture swapping instanced materials?) will get there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    I always love these fan hobby creations. From the this to Azeroth ported into minecraft, it's always nice to load them up and walk around to appreciate the work put in.
    I can't wait for whatever you make next. If you're still taking reccomendstions into consideration, I echo that one guy talking about the Undercity.
    Thank you for liking it! I did start Undercity at one point, so this is a nice reminder to go back to it probably when I can, it could be a nice quick win

10+ Year Old Account
    we need individual solo player storylines using these awesome graphics. like caverns of time where we explore wow lore single player.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    we need individual solo player storylines using these awesome graphics. like caverns of time where we explore wow lore single player.
    I did start something similar recently, but it's going to be a slow burner, unless I get people to help me, here's just test shot

Essentially imagine Single-player Overwatch based on Warcraft lore/missions, I can't show much besides Jaina (totally not Mei) running around casting Frostbolts and regening frostbolts atm tho
    Last edited by KaNNis; 2017-02-20 at 09:59 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaNNis View Post
    I did start something similar recently, but it's going to be a slow burner, unless I get people to help me, here's just test shot

Essentially imagine Single-player Overwatch based on Warcraft lore/missions, I can't show much besides Jaina (totally not Mei) running around casting Frostbolts and regening frostbolts atm tho
    Looks really great man, both the original dalaran posts and I like the "heroes of warcraft" concept you got going. Keep at it!

Honestly never even heard of Unity 5 before (guess I'm out of the loop?), but definitely peaked my interest.
    So thanks for the post!
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    Looks really great man, both the original dalaran posts and I like the "heroes of warcraft" concept you got going. Keep at it!

Honestly never even heard of Unity 5 before (guess I'm out of the loop?), but definitely peaked my interest.
    So thanks for the post!
    Thank you! Don't think you're out of the loop, really, it's half my bad expecting people would know what Unity is, mostly because atm I'm surrounded by it and I use it at my job. Unity is essentially a game engine, like Unreal Engine/UDK/CryEngine, which anyone can use for free***, it does most of the heavy lifting for you by providing the tools to create a game so you don't have to worry about writing a renderer and systems on your own, Unity is usually preferred for mobile games and is in general the engine of choice if you're going for multiplatform games, while its still arguably not a capable AAA engine out of the box, it provides enough for a small studio to be able to get a project out relevantly quickly. For example, Blizzard uses Unity for Hearthstone and the WoW Companion App.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow that looks super cool.

I'm surprised blizzard hasn't attempted something like this, especially with the success of overwatch. Taking the engine and applying it to a single player campaign for overwatch or Warcraft universes seems like it could be a license to print money.......
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Wow that looks super cool.

I'm surprised blizzard hasn't attempted something like this, especially with the success of overwatch. Taking the engine and applying it to a single player campaign for overwatch or Warcraft universes seems like it could be a license to print money.......
    I'm sure they've internally played around with the idea, and I also think it would print money, while making an Overwatch clone doesn't sound plausible considering they would be going in competition with themselves, a singleplayer co-op game based first person Warcraft game based in the universe where it puts you in the shoes of the characters in a cooperative environment like Left 4 Dead, since anything Blizzard do seems to involve multiplayer seems like a dream to me.

Now that I'm talking about it, I'll probably go back working on the little prototype I had going using the idea and hopefully I'll have something to show soon.