Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Xaela Dark Knight origins; Ul'dah or Limsa Lominsa?

I'd like to return to Final Fantasy XIV, but this is a question I got caught-up on before. While playing an Au'Ra of any kind will always be "non-canon" -- at least until post-2.0 -- I put a lot of effort into trying to create characters that "fit" within the setting.

For most races and tribes -- with the exception of Midlanders -- one of the City-states is generally more common for them to be based. Au'ra are unique in that they have zero presence in ANY of the City-states. With virtually zero presence in the Main Scenario, as well, it creates a situation where you really have to just *guess* where you think they might fit in.

Well, I can't really come up with anything, which is why I'm reaching out to you guys to help me decide.

See, we know that the Xaela are part of some 50-odd warring clans. We also know that, unlike the Raen -- who are steeped in Japanese culture -- the Xaela are supposedly based on Mongolian culture. Knowing virtually nothing about Mongols, that leaves me feeling pretty lost.

Would they resonate more with Ul'dah and the Immortal Flames, as a city with a prized Colosseum and a renown gladiator as its general? Or with Limsa Lominsa and the Maelstrom, and a city founded by pirates and still very much values "individual freedom"?

Ul'dah makes a lot of sense in some ways. For one, it plays into the story *VERY* well, and the Domans first arrive in Vesper Bay. While we never see any Xaela come that route, it stands to reason that it would be closer than Limsa Lominsa to their former nation. Plus, being based in a desert, it seems a lot like I *imagine* Mongolia looks like (again; I don't know anything about it). However, Ul'dah is also a city that values money over all else, which might lend a bit of discrepancy to a Xaela "fitting in". Plus, even the trade-skills available in Ul'dah seem "frivolous" in comparison.

Limsa Lominsa doesn't seem terribly relevant to the Xaela -- or really, the story as a whole -- but the vibe might seem more welcoming to them. For one, Merlwyb seems more accepting of Lady Yugiri, and clearly there's the tie between the Rogue's Guild and Ninjas. Limsa Lominsa also seems a bit more welcoming to Beast tribes, which might make the Au'Ra feel more welcome. Plus, their trade-skills are a little more "hardy" and practical, from a cultural standpoint. However, Limsa definitely *is* irrelevant.

Assuming you can't do anything with connecting to the race, then you've got the Classes/Jobs.

Starting as a Gladiator, you eventually become a Paladin, which makes a pretty fitting narrative transition into Dark Knight (sort of a reverse of Cecil's story, with your hero becoming disillusioned after Nanamo's death and embracing the violent path of the Dark Knight). Plus, starting in Ul'dah, you witness Thancred's story-arc firsthand, giving the entire story a theme of constant betrayal.

Starting as a Marauder and becoming a Warrior, though, presents a character that's more in-tune with wielding a large, two-handed weapon. The Warrior Artifact Armor seems to have a bit of a Mongolian flair to it, anyways, plus you interact with Y'shtola earlier (and let's be real; is way more likable than Thancred).

Whichever City-state I start in, I would likely also choose their Grand Company (barring a compelling story-related reason not to). I don't know if that makes much difference or not, but it's certainly something to take into account.

I would *greatly* appreciate any input on this. As someone who struggled with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I find myself unable to even play or enjoy the game, as I'm constantly second-guessing which choice would be the "right" one. Obviously, there's no clear "right" answer to be found, but at least if one makes more sense that the other, I think I could be content enough to finally jump in and enjoy the game again.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Xaela are nomadic hunter gatherers. Most stay near their ancestral home of the Azim Steppes raising animals for meat and dairy -and warring with the other 50 of the 51 Xaela tribes, and the rest are just more nomadic and become adventurers, culinarians, botanists and so on. The game begins with you rolling into town on a wagon or boat, would make more sense for a Xaela than a fair few 1.0 races honestly. If they aren't with the tribe they are winging it.

Personally i went with uldah for the whole "for coin and country" adventuring privateer theme in 2.0 -along with BLM at the time- and everything with thancred, nanamo feeling way more connected to the player character and so on felt right still when i fantasia'd from Duskwright to Xaela but its up to you really, Adventurers really go where the gil is.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-02-14 at 12:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should also consider the tribe you picked too when considering a back story, the tribes vary in aggressiveness, and how nomadic they are.

I originally planed on playing DRK when I made my Xaela and started as Warrior just to level but ended up falling absolutely in love with the Warrior class.

Honestly which city you start in (assuming you're talking chiefly about RP) Does not really matter that much, Ralqadar first landed in Limsa when he came to Eorzea from Othard. However how your character got to Eorzea is more important than the city they came from. Auri both Xaela and Raen are very very foreign to the land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

^That and the whole Astral/Umbral eras make history only go back so far before slates are wiped clean so theres always new things. Take Uldah itself, before the second calamity, the umbral calamity of flame Thanalan was a verdant jungle and now its a desert. The 'A Realm Reborn' theme goes along with the characters too, nobody plays a character in the story that was born in the city you start in, you are rolling into town for the first time no matter who you are.

True, neither city is your native origin. I'm just trying to figure, which would a Xaela be more likely to call "home", or fight to defend? Or what would otherwise work better for the overall story?

I'd say Uldah, Thancred and Nanamo are far more tied to the story and your character than the others are till late HW.

I'd personally go with Ul'dah regardless of what they resonate with as Ul'dah has been accepting refugees from everywhere since the calamity, so it would make sense for an Au'Ra refugee to end up there, without a real presence within the city of them, and have your character take up being a Gladiator for glory/ to get by.

Just my 2 gil.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The 'A Realm Reborn' theme goes along with the characters too, nobody plays a character in the story that was born in the city you start in, you are rolling into town for the first time no matter who you are.
    Not 100% true. You're asked if it's the first time in the city and you have the option of Yes, No, or "...." so you COULD be from the city and have been away and are returning to it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'd personally go with Ul'dah regardless of what they resonate with as Ul'dah has been accepting refugees from everywhere since the calamity, so it would make sense for an Au'Ra refugee to end up there, without a real presence within the city of them, and have your character take up being a Gladiator for glory/ to get by.

Just my 2 gil.
    Doesn't Ul'dah turn away the Au Ra BECAUSE they're already under strain from the other refugees they take? Not that Nanamo and Raubahn want to, but their hands are tied. Limsa is more welcoming and offers financial support as the Au Ra make their way, and later more of a home, in Mor Dhona.

That said, an Au Ra deciding the arena as a gladiator is a way to make a living in a city that isn't embracing them can still work.

I'd say Limsa, it's a port town and as such, more likely to have a wider variety of people, and a refugee from Othard would most likely at least arrive there before Ul'dah. A tribal person used to rules might be a bit overwhelmed by the debauchery and rampant piracy of the state, rather than the more strict and law abiding city of Ul'dah.. but perhaps more used to the climate in the desert city.

From an rp'ers perspective. I'd say Limsa is the easy choice but, not necessarily the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Doesn't Ul'dah turn away the Au Ra BECAUSE they're already under strain from the other refugees they take? Not that Nanamo and Raubahn want to, but their hands are tied. Limsa is more welcoming and offers financial support as the Au Ra make their way, and later more of a home, in Mor Dhona.

That said, an Au Ra deciding the arena as a gladiator is a way to make a living in a city that isn't embracing them can still work.
    I vaguely remember Ul'dah begin to turn away refugees at some point in the MSQ due to strain, but as a new player character they would not have reached that point in the story yet...so it's hard to reconcile a fresh Au Ra being turned away from a city before said city begins turning people away, it's confusing. In any case it's also not too hard to imagine a single Au Ra refugee being able to sneak through somehow and make it into the city, or to play that character not as a refugee but as a well established traveling merchant (or whatever else vocation you'd like to use) just visiting,or possibly moving in, or maybe you have an influential friend/ contact in the city who invited you inside to work for them. No need to play a fresh character as a lonely refugee.

7+ Year Old Account
    Limsa.

Its a port city with a very shady underbelly, its a great place to go un-noticed. Au Ra's don't like drawing attention to themselves which fits very nicely with the city

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind, according to the White Mage 50-60 quest line that the Xaela are met with distrust due to their nomadic life styles and tradition. If you really want to pursue the Dark Knight ideology you could easily jury rig their ideals of justice to the way Xaela are treated.

However, you can really do what ever you want at the end of the day I am looking at this as more of an Rper than anything else.
    I AM the victim.

That's sort of what I imagine the Xaela being; tribal, primative warriors and hunters. But... I can't figure if that aligns them more with Ul'dah -- namely, Raubaun and the Colosseum -- or Limsa Lominsa, with its more rugged culture, but really nothing else in common.

I almost wish they had another starter-area, based around the Au'Ra (or rather, involving their story; presumably would have been for low-level Heavensward jobs, near Ishgard).

Regardless, I'm definitely enjoying seeing you guys' debate. Still undecided on which route to go, but it's awesome seeing different points on each city, or different takes on what little we know about the Xaela!

Well they confirmed the Xaela homeland is coming in 4.0 so maybe that effects your choice now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well they confirmed the Xaela homeland is coming in 4.0 so maybe that effects your choice now?
    Makes me so excited.

Xaela, distribution: The Azim Steppe.

Raen, distribution: Yanxia (Doma), the Far East.

rev up those fantasias.

Oooooooooooh wow...

First off, that's going to be *AMAZING* to finally see them kind some time in the spotlight!

But... since there's presumably not going to be a new starter-area, I'm wondering what this would mean (if anything) to my choice. I assume we'll learn more about the Au'Ra then, but I wonder what they'll wind up being?

Well, any of you guys have any input on how this might ought to affect my decision? The Azim Steppe looks very much like what I envisioned it would, but it's nice actually seeing it. It makes me wonder, now that their home-land *WILL* be in the game, maybe I should focus more on which of the two City-states would be the more likely destination or point of arrival.

I mean, we know the Domans arrive in Vesper Bay, which is Thanalan, but then they also arrive by boat. Seeing as you arrive by carriage (I assume that's what those are?), I suppose there's a strong argument that you probably passed through the Shroud first, which brings more questions to mind. I suppose, unless Ul'dah was your actual destination, but I wonder what your "goal" would be for heading to Ul'dah would even be for a Xaela (I mean, beyond just "making something up").

Meanwhile, Limsa Lominsa seems an even further destination, but given that you arrive by boat, maybe that's important to note?

I know I'm probably overthinking this way too much, but like I said; I just want to try my best to pick the "right" origin for a Xaela.

I mean, at this point, I'm probably best just waiting to see what the Au Ra NPC's are actually like, and try to make a judgement call from that. Still, you guys' opinions and insights are much appreciated, and I love reading your reasoning behind each choice!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Well, any of you guys have any input on how this might ought to affect my decision? The Azim Steppe looks very much like what I envisioned it would, but it's nice actually seeing it. It makes me wonder, now that their home-land *WILL* be in the game, maybe I should focus more on which of the two City-states would be the more likely destination or point of arrival.

I mean, we know the Domans arrive in Vesper Bay, which is Thanalan, but then they also arrive by boat. Seeing as you arrive by carriage (I assume that's what those are?), I suppose there's a strong argument that you probably passed through the Shroud first, which brings more questions to mind. I suppose, unless Ul'dah was your actual destination, but I wonder what your "goal" would be for heading to Ul'dah would even be for a Xaela (I mean, beyond just "making something up").

Meanwhile, Limsa Lominsa seems an even further destination, but given that you arrive by boat, maybe that's important to note?

I know I'm probably overthinking this way too much, but like I said; I just want to try my best to pick the "right" origin for a Xaela.

I mean, at this point, I'm probably best just waiting to see what the Au Ra NPC's are actually like, and try to make a judgement call from that. Still, you guys' opinions and insights are much appreciated, and I love reading your reasoning behind each choice!

Keep in mind all the Xaela Au'Ra we will meet in the Azim Stepps are not like the player character if they're an Xaela.

They stayed behind to live the life their ancestors did.

While the player, left for one reason or another.

I'm actually curious Claymore, do you plan on actually Roleplaying with other people? Or is this all just for you?
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

Well my characters a Xaela and a NIN to boot so getting to Othard is a great 'coming home to free your land from the empire' in the same way it will be for Hyur players from the Ala Mhigan sub group, makes the expansion feel a bit more personal yknow?