Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you owned a tehnology high enogh and take out all armys in the world (friend and enemy), to prevent them from fighting each other, then its posible.

In other words, 2 armys are fighting each other, you wipe out bouth of them, morale of bouth armys goes down and their public support fails. Without war founding (or being to expensive to replace losses), its not worth any more to wage war.

1.st person who advances nano-tehnology to a lvl, where you dont need living soldiers and units can be created from a surronding mass, will win and unite the world.
    When will this age happen, no1 knows.

Or that:

(massive mind control, people wouldnt realize they are controled and keep on with their lives)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    When we start exploring our own solar system perhaps. Too bad we will be extinct by then.

Not a chance.

I think nations may unite into so-called "super nations" in the future. But not a UE.

Deleted
    For some reason, i just remembered

"Then we will have peace in the galaxy"

as sentence. While reading this topic.

Only a tyrant could be able to "unite" the earth if we arent ready to leave it. Either from outside or one we made tyrant.

No. As much as it's trying to be forced right now, different cultures and beliefs will never coincide with one another. Honestly if we kept, beliefs, cultures, and religions all separated in their own parts of the world, there would be a far greater chance. No invading, no immigrating, just live with the others that share your beliefs

10+ Year Old Account
    Google needs to make enough control chips first.

Deleted
    It's possible, but it seems astronomically unlikely, on smaller scales countries essentially came together from different groups of people willing to work together after centuries of conflict either killed the opposition or suppressed their will to fight, Oda Nobunaga was betrayed after conquering so much of Japan, but eventually they established peace. There's no reason the same circumstances couldn't occur for the entire planet given a strong enough force. It would be something the world has never seen though, and I'd imagine it would take thousands of years and resources no one currently has.

Only once bad cultural traits are wiped out.
    Bad cultures are the biggest roadblock towards this.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not in the forseeable future.

The biggest issue is why we would even /want/ to do so. Most people who are proponents of a single nation world have the belief that their particular culture is the best, and therefore would obviously be the defining culture of this theoretical nation. They get a lot less supportive of the idea of having a culture other than their own being the one that the world unites under.

And lets not pretend that just being in a single nation would end conflict. There's tons of internal conflict in the US right now, and they've already had one civil war in the past. As it is it's almost impossible for a government to fairly and reasonably reconcile the needs and wishes of, say Seattle vs Memphis, simply because they're such different places with different people living in them. That only gets worse as you get bigger, it's pretty much impossible to do ANYTHING that would make the entire world happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander Rake View Post
    Hey guys,

Long term reader, first time poster!

A thought occurred to me the other day when I was watching Star Trek, and they stated that the countries of earth had put aside all of their past differences and united under one government for the advancement of mankind.

Now given all the current shit happening with ISIS and the attitudes towards Trump / The EU / Brexit, etc. Do you guys think a United Earth will happen?
    And more importantly, What is your opinion on the matter?

I for one, love the idea of the UE and of mankind putting aside all of its petty crap and working together for the betterment and advancement of us all.
    On the other hand I just can't see it happening, at least not in the next 100 years.
    I hope that never happens. That sounds pretty scary and Orwellian. People will always disagree about this or that. The only way to achieve agreement, is to do it North Korea style.

Also, Gene Roddenberry was an over rated hack. Star Trek sucked. It was just popular because it was the only show in the genre, and the original series had hilarious bad acting from Bill Shatner. His vision of the future was alarmingly naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Most people who are proponents of a single nation world have the belief that their particular culture is the best
    Some humans hold the belief that their culture is the best way/only way to sustaining life.

Science is a tool that ALL cultures could use to figure out if their beliefs are true or not.

That would require the desire of all humans to be focused on sustaining life, however, and all humans desires are not focused on this.

Doubtful, but I could see a series of mega-republics on a model similar to the US with significant local autonomy. A single unifying and supreme federal power isn't really something to strive for imo. Too much room for stagnation.

I don't think it's possible until we have nearly free clean renewable energy everywhere.

Everyone keeps saying religion, imo all the wars come down to oil and resources.
    Last edited by Pipebomb; 2017-02-21 at 10:54 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Some humans hold the belief that their culture is the best way/only way to sustaining life.

Science is a tool that ALL cultures could use to figure out if their beliefs are true or not.

That would require the desire of all humans to be focused on sustaining life, however, and all humans desires are not focused on this.
    There's a lot more to living than just being alive, that's a great part of where culture comes in to begin with. Art, entertainment, beauty, freedom, none of these are requirements for merely sustaining life. But I for one am willing to accept a certain amount of conflict to preserve a life where such things exist.

A global government is the end game for those on the left, hence their desire to break down borders allowing free movement and to inflate the UN's importance. But short of a catastrophic global event it would never happen.

I think it's inevitable, it's a natural step in our process of evolving society. But first we need to not blow ourselves up before that happens, and I have no idea what will unite us (hostile aliens perhaps?).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

if aliens actually would just show up and say hey im here then yes, Earth could be fully united after that.

GOTTA DO AWAY WITH RELIGION FIRST. proof of life outside of our little box should do it.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    There's a lot more to living than just being alive
    Sustaining life is not just being alive in all scenarios.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe after first contact with a benevolent, extremely advanced alien species. Otherwise, no.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

There isn't a tenable way to force the entire planet to think the same way and accept the lot given to them. As such, a theoretical United Earth would be an empire like any other and would have its share of dissidents, independents and revolutionaries. It would be a part of the process, not an end to conflict.