Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    The problem Blizzard have with this is that they often incentivise competitive modes by rewarding exclusive in-game items from them. It's a double edged sword, because while it does draw more people into the competitive ladder, it also attracts a lot of people who have no interest in being competitive and are just doing it for the rewards. This segment of the playerbase really doesn't mesh well with the competitive core, often creating friction and animosity when casual players who just want the rewards end up in games with people who want to be genuinely competitive and take every match seriously.

Personally I think that if a game has the potential for a genuinely good competitive scene, then it'll grow and thrive without the need for gimmicks like this to draw people in. I don't like that Blizzard feel the need to dangle shiny treats in front of casual players to try and make them play a mode that might not be at all suited to them. It's possible that in the grand scheme of things it's a good way of nurturing and growing the competitive scene, but my inkling is that it causes more frustration overall.
    What I don't understand, is why people would feel the need to do more games than the placement ones if they only care about getting the golden weapon? If you want to get it fast, it helps to try to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfluff View Post
    Where does it say comp is too win? Where is the rule book?

Wow playing games for fun who would of thunk it?
    Something being competitive implies the goal is to win. If you're good with offensive torb, by all means, play it, but if you just wanna practice then you should really do so in QP or AI. It's not fair to your team if you aren't trying your best to win in a competitive game, assuming everyone else is also trying to win.
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-02-22 at 12:20 AM.

"Do people actually play comp just for fun? Any other mode is for fun, comp is to win, there should be no one who doesn't understand this"

So you would jump into a competition just for fun? Like, really? This is one of the dumbest things I have seen in a while. Oh we're going to compete but not actually try to win. The only people with that attitude suck, know they suck and instead of trying to improve simply say, oh I'm just playing for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    So you would jump into a competition just for fun? Like, really? This is one of the dumbest things I have seen in a while. Oh we're going to compete but not actually try to win. The only people with that attitude suck, know they suck and instead of trying to improve simply say, oh I'm just playing for fun.
    its not its fault..

from what i am told, a lot of parents now teach their kids that participating is more important..

bwuahaheaheahaeahehahaehahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    I know having fun playing a computer game is a pretty bizarre concept. I didn't say I wouldn't try to win in a competitive game now did I? sometimes I like to get a draw so equal teams are not so traumatised if they lose which seems to be the case in nearly ever game ending in a flame war

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the biggest problems I have with the Meta is that it's simply incorrect at lower levels of play.

Metas form primarily around comps that have high degree of synergy with each other, and setups that directly counter the high-synergy comps. But at lower levels of play, you rarely get high degrees of team synergy even with the right heroes. Zarya's Ult wins games at the high levels when it's timed properly and comboed with a damage ult. But is not nearly as powerful if people are just throwing off their ults the moment they get them and half your team is off playing footsies with the enemy Genji back by spawn. Junkrat is bad in Masters because he mostly feeds Ana's ult if he's splashing damage on her team, and his rip-tire is hard to kill with on a team that is together, paying attention, and ready to shoot it. But he can murder people all over the place against an unorganized team in silver where half the people don't even seem to know that the rip-tire is killable.

The best example of this though is Symmetra. Symmetra at low ranks can walk through half an enemy team and kill them all, because they can't hit her while she's jumping around like a lunatic at close range. But the moment that you get into the ranks where you're up against people that keep their cool and can headshot you even while you're jumping, you find out that as high as your DPS is, it's inability to crit means you still lose too many fights for her to be used in a lot of scenarios. Ultimately, the meta only really applies in a high skill + high coordination environment.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Meta involves team composition and is much more than just champion picks in LoL. Duo bot is meta, mandatory ADC is meta, Min. 1 tank is meta. Go into Solo Q and try to change any of these things and you'll be flamed out of existence. Teams without tanks lose, teams without ADCs lose, teams without duo bot lose. None of these things used to be as set in stone though, if you remember - the meta has changed quite a lot even if we completely ignore champion balancing.
    Adc, support, jungler, midlaner and toplaner is not a meta but position and roles to fill. Mind you, you can play without a tank (pick composition or poke composition) and be very succes full. You can also run full ap or full ad teams (ziggs bot lane is still a thing).
    This style of game was created by eu scene, where in na there was no support but roamer. And na teams get anihiliated by eu teams. So everyone now play this way, because it is most efficient way to lvl and distribute gold.

Meta is set in stone and change ONLY if game change. Riot just have lots of parts they can pressure to force shifts in meta.

But i derail, to stay on topic - widowmaker sniping other team support is contributing. If you snipe him opposing team is instantly at disadvantage (one less team member in case of fight), they propably would wait till respawn so it is buying time to take better position or push team even further away from point, it gives your team breathing room and advantage.

Widowmaker is not played because she is easy to shutdown (like tryndamere in competitive scene) but in soloq hardly anybody would do that (same as tryndamere, who is monster in soloq even in challenger).

In short, players should play what they want if they can play it. Picking meta pick and not knowing how to play him is much worse than picking up pick you actually mastered.

@Fluffyfluff:

Blizzard officially calls the game mode: Competitive mode. Striving for victory is in the definition itself.

Wikipedia:
    "Competition is, in general, a contest or rivalry between two or more entities, organisms, animals, individuals, economic groups or social groups, etc., for territory, a niche, for resources, goods, for mates, for prestige, recognition, for awards, for group or social status, or for leadership and profit."

From Merriam-Webster, the definition of Contest:
    "a struggle for superiority or victory : competition <a football contest between rival teams>"

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    @Fluffyfluff:

Blizzard officially calls the game mode: Competitive mode. Striving for victory is in the definition itself.

Wikipedia:
    "Competition is, in general, a contest or rivalry between two or more entities, organisms, animals, individuals, economic groups or social groups, etc., for territory, a niche, for resources, goods, for mates, for prestige, recognition, for awards, for group or social status, or for leadership and profit."

From Merriam-Webster, the definition of Contest:
    "a struggle for superiority or victory : competition <a football contest between rival teams>"
    victory
    ˈvɪkt(ə)ri/
    noun
    noun: victory; plural noun: victories
    an act of defeating an enemy or opponent in a battle, game, or other competition

victory
    ˈvɪkt(ə)ri/
    noun
    noun: victory; plural noun: victories
    an act of defeating an enemy or opponent in a battle, game, or other competition
    Yes, an enemy. In our case the opposing team.
    In Overwatch we have a direct indication when your team wins. Victory is written on the screen.
    It looks like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TGpYc2g958A/maxresdefault.jpg

Official link to rules on game mode and map types:
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20167051

"In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can earn new rewards that are only available through Competitive Play."
    Last edited by Raqubor; 2017-02-23 at 01:04 PM.

"Do people actually play comp just for fun? Any other mode is for fun, comp is to win, there should be no one who doesn't understand this"

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/st...93646209003520

Now shut up and uninstall please.

I play comp for fun... I also play to win but I do not force my opinions on what others should pick and I will NOT listen to anyone who DEMANDS that I play a particular hero.

If someone goes "Hey, Could you play Lucio? we need another healer." I'll let them know I'm not that good at Lucio, but I could play Mercy if they like. The second someone goes "We need Lucio, go Lucio" I'll not respond and play what I want. Not to the point of throwing the game but I'll be better playing a hero I'm good with.

I also use QM as a way to practice heroes that I'm not good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    Reported for verbal abuse

Depends what u mean by winning. I could win 3 gold medals and class that is winning. All depends on your interpretation
    Last edited by Fluffyfluff; 2017-02-23 at 04:58 PM.

Depends what u mean by winning. I could win 3 gold medals and class that is winning. All depends on your interpretation
    You are really trying hard now .

It does not depend on my interpretation, it depends on Blizzards interpretation. Which means a team win, indicated by the Victory text on your screen.

Well my interpretation of you is that you're most likely awful at the game and people are mean to you on the internets *sniffle* so you come here to justify being a cunt in comp games by applying whatever shit logic you think you have to this thread. Winning is winning the game; not losing. I know that's a hard concept to grasp when you're trying to blatantly ignore truth.

And now you can report me with some substance to it, because I called you cunt. Twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please keep the thread on the OP, not on what it means to have fun in competitive.
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-02-24 at 03:58 AM.

Not sure what is the point of this post.

There are people that find moving pixels and colors to be considered fun, they dont care whether they win cause apparently winning isnt fun, pretty pictures is.

I think i had that logic when i was 14 moths old back in 1989.

There is nothing you can do about it.

Gaming companies promote "Do whatever you want as long as you give us money" and players simply do just that, they use the excuse that they paid for something and can do whatever they want with it.

When Blizzard itself doesnt install a system where it clearly states "You are gonna be playing support" "You are gonna be playing Tank" , then obviously the community thats all about entitlement is gonna do just that.

They just need to add a force system, thats all there is, let them wait in queue for 3 hours to play their sniper, not your problem.

But then again, thats where forcing a meta appears, and a new set of QQ appears and so on.

You simply cant win, there are 3 options.

Dont buy games where you have to expect other human beings to play as well or as dedicated as you (What i do).

Quit the game if you already bought.

Join them, when they pick something retarded, pick Mei, simply follow them around and block them.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-02-24 at 04:53 AM.

After reading a decent amount of responses I would like to point out some key facts that were made about the "meta" and also a little note to steer the conversation back to the OP? "Metas form primarily around comps that have high degree of synergy with each other, and setups that directly counter the high-synergy comps. But at lower levels of play, you rarely get high degrees of team synergy even with the right heroes" ~Lynarii. Additionally meta can also refer to characters that are just very powerful right now. However, as others have pointed out, meta characters are not necessarily required in order to get some good combos going or push/capture the objective. Now for the note, I did mention that I would make a thread for this but I thought I would post it here since it fits well with the OP. The reason I made this thread was to give players a way of handling certain players that are leaning towards not cooperating and even make it very clear in voice chat/text that they just want to do their thing solo. At the very start of the game when this player starts to show these signs, I call this the +1 or -1+ moment. The reason I call it that is because the team as a whole has a chance to gain a player and have a full team working together or lose 1 player and possibly many more. The way I highlighted in the OP can lead to the +1 but usually this is how it goes: the one player who is leaning towards not cooperating makes his stand quite clear. One person speaks up in a very straightforward but pretty aggressive way and continues to berate the person in voice chat/team chat for the rest of the game. At this point, there is a very low chance that the player is going to cooperate now. Additionally, the person who is now just screaming in voice chat is being a detriment as well because he is not focusing entirely at the task at hand and jamming up voice chat.

TL;DR: Meta isn't always the way to go like people pointed out. Also, there are other/BETTER ways of handling players who are showing signs of not cooperating.
    Discuss!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think one of the hardest parts is being nice to someone intentionally trying to screw you, takes some considerable willpower. I definitely think some encouragement can go a long way though. Like the WM point, it can be very easy to yell at a WM you constantly see on your death-cam chilling out, but a lot harder to notice their covering kills and give them a "gj wm". I think uncooperative people to an extent are looking for conflict, being nice probably throws em off.

Its my game I paid for it I can do what I like with my free time hows that? If I want to play torb every match I can, nothing you can do to stop me hahaha sucks to be you

Infracted - Major Trolling
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-03-01 at 07:22 PM.

sorry but unless you are paying for their copy of the game and time, its up to them to play who and how they want to play (unless it breaks TOS / griefing rules). You can ask them of course but good luck. Don't like risking that make sure to have a full team of friends that play like you do.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22