10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Preparing to get married atm.
    Nice, congratulations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Doesn't apply to Balmung anymore, unfortunately. Had a friend of mine simply trying to create a toon here; even tried within 5 mins of servers going back up following maintenance, had appearance data saved and ready to go...nope.

As much as I like being here, we the community definitely need to prop up other servers as viable alternatives. I'm not an RPer, but that seems to be the main reason so many people flock here. I'm only here because the friend that got me into the game was also on here.

I've entertained the idea of "would I move off Balmung if they offered free server transfers". No way would I pay to move away...hell I'd have to buy up all sorts of shit just so I could try and get my gil back thanks to their archaic 1 million gil limits (I suppose those are in place to prevent someone from instantly getting a house on a new server in addition to RMT reduction).
    Alot of players actually use the Allegan coins abd buy them off the marketboard to sidestep that.

As for the server thing UT us also probably because people think nit being one of the super servers means all the others are ghost towns with no interaction or other players. Which in this games case I have found to nor be true at all. Others just gate medium to small pop servers. I even had a guy unable to understand why someone would like that.

Holy crap I just came back this week and decided to catch up on the story... did the story dungeon Balsar's Wall (?) and I have to say its one of my favorites in the entire game. Final boss was epic. The place was somewhat challenging too with my groups gear average of 235.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Holy crap I just came back this week and decided to catch up on the story... did the story dungeon Balsar's Wall (?) and I have to say its one of my favorites in the entire game. Final boss was epic. The place was somewhat challenging too with my groups gear average of 235.
    definitely one of the best dungeon bosses this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    definitely one of the best dungeon bosses this expansion.
    I literally yelled and said "YOU NEED TO FUCKING DIE NOW"

I honestly wasn't expecting him.

The scorpion boss in solm alm? Is fucking nuts though, my first time there we one shot it but the fight lasted 10 minutes because the dps sucked. It was intense
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    It is an annoyance, to put it mildly, how the only way to get a character on a non-low pop server is to log on in the morning before going to work or such in order to make a character where you want to be. It's bad enough that it makes it really hard for me to recommend this game to friends, because they will naturally be inclined to play where I am, and people often scoff at the idea you have to basically pay extra to do so.
    See people forget servers other then those can have decent populations. Medium pop medium high pop and instead people keep transferring to those servers. Though I think the new data center wide party finder helps I do dislike the lack of server community that will emerge..also I do like cross server fc abd friebds list but I have very massive mixed feelings as well..will be nice I guess if megaservers become a thing(I prefer medium to small pop servers easier to know people abd feel a sense of community)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    Me and my buddy decided to return to 14 after getting tired of legion already. We where able to convince 3 friends to come with us and try it out. One was able to get on our server (Gilgamesh). The other two could not after a week of trying morning afternoon and middle of the night. I believe they ended up getting their copies refunded. As much as i love the game, it blew my mind that they would let people walk away from their game then to figure out a way to let people play with their friends. Horrible planning on their part. Refer a friend should guarantee access to the same server.
    Did you guys ever consider going to a smaller server with your friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Alot of players actually use the Allegan coins abd buy them off the marketboard to sidestep that.

As for the server thing UT us also probably because people think nit being one of the super servers means all the others are ghost towns with no interaction or other players. Which in this games case I have found to nor be true at all. Others just gate medium to small pop servers. I even had a guy unable to understand why someone would like that.
    Those particular Allagan coins are marked up anywhere from 12k up last time I checked. I'm far better to buy up grade 5 materias and other items to resell were I to want to move elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Did you guys ever consider going to a smaller server with your friends?
    Well, the problem with that idea is that, we're now leaving our network of friends we've made over the year, to join two people that may or may not take to the game. If we'ere talking server transfers, we would rather just pay for the two of them to come us instead of all of the people that would need to transfer over.

The sticking point is that no one wants to pay an additional 40 dollars on top of what the two just paid for the ce versions of the game. They are still very much interested in WoW, and enjoying legion. We where trying to convince them that 14 would be just as engaging, and they would still get to play with us. No one wanted to pay transfer fees for people that didn't know if they would like the game. If refer a friend worked the way it should, SE possibly would have two wow converts, instead they got refunds and have very sour feelings towards the game now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    Well, the problem with that idea is that, we're now leaving our network of friends we've made over the year, to join two people that may or may not take to the game. If we'ere talking server transfers, we would rather just pay for the two of them to come us instead of all of the people that would need to transfer over.

The sticking point is that no one wants to pay an additional 40 dollars on top of what the two just paid for the ce versions of the game. They are still very much interested in WoW, and enjoying legion. We where trying to convince them that 14 would be just as engaging, and they would still get to play with us. No one wanted to pay transfer fees for people that didn't know if they would like the game. If refer a friend worked the way it should, SE possibly would have two wow converts, instead they got refunds and have very sour feelings towards the game now.
    I mean, there is a pretty generous free trial they could have tried before they paid for the game.

Not defending the restrictive system, just before I was sold on the game I played the Trial to see if it was even worth my money. Though, my reasons for going to Balmung were more than just "I have friends" over here.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-02-22 at 12:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

After the original attempt at tackling the higher floors in POTD and having to stop at floor 171 due to a player leaving the game my group found a replacement and we managed to get back up to 141! We should hopefully be be able to go beyond our previous attempt next time we meet up again - and then finally hit floor 200.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    After the original attempt at tackling the higher floors in POTD and having to stop at floor 171 due to a player leaving the game my group found a replacement and we managed to get back up to 141! We should hopefully be be able to go beyond our previous attempt next time we meet up again - and then finally hit floor 200.
    Go get them G-ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Well, good thing I was starting to get back into XIV anyway after some burnout, stuff in 7.2 has me emotionally wounded enough to quit WoW, possibly for good.

So how 'bout that Stormblood?!
    Ive kind of hit the same spot on WoW as I did mid BRF in WoD. The game just sucks now. It isnt fun and feels like a job. Maybe its the fact that I have been playing and raiding for 12 years off and on, but the burnout just comes faster and faster. I loaded up FFXIV and finished the story and got to ilvl 245 and get this... WAS HAVING FUN. Both games have their grind but the grind in FFXIV isnt bad because you know youll get a great reward at the end.. IE the relic weapon and the loot isnt plagued with diabloesque rng. On WoW you grind for AP which lets you put points in a static weapon. Also WoW's story and immersion and graphics blow in comparison to FFXIV. Im not trying to hate on wow, I'm just saying that playing ffxiv these last few days has reminded me why I ever got into mmos in the first place. To have fun and feel immersed. Not play what feels like a job while being surrounded by a toxic community and diablo loot.

That is another thing I find great about FFXIV. The community is probably the best/most helpful decent community in the MMO market right now. You run into a bad egg here and there, but the opposite is true of WoW. You find a decent person here and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Nice, congratulations.
    Thank you ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'm back to floor 121, we got a bit demoralized after wiping twice at high end floors and running 51-100 is just so exhausting since there's no difficulty at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    I'm back to floor 121, we got a bit demoralized after wiping twice at high end floors and running 51-100 is just so exhausting since there's no difficulty at all.
    wait.... if you wipe after 100 you go all the way back to 50?

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    wait.... if you wipe after 100 you go all the way back to 50?
    Yep. Once you are at 101 and above, a wipe means you can't progress any further on that save. That said, 101+ is only available for fixed parties aka full premades. I'd love to see an option to start at 101 with a fixed party since 50-100 is a total snooze fest when you're at 90+ aether pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    That is another thing I find great about FFXIV. The community is probably the best/most helpful decent community in the MMO market right now. You run into a bad egg here and there, but the opposite is true of WoW. You find a decent person here and there.
    I wholeheartedly believe some of the restrictions that people rail against are the reason for this and fostering a positive community is at the forefront of Yoshida's mind. Just look at the weekend live letter when DPS meters came up again. He said he understands the desire to use them for self improvement, but even if you can only see your own DPS, it becomes "Tell me what your DPS is" and they feel it would be negative for the community. They're looking for ways to give players these improvement measurements for self use without injecting toxicity found elsewhere and I greatly respect them for it.

And as much as some are going to hate it, and disagree with me on it, I feel like the MSQ requirements for each expansion to move to the next is another factor that attributes to a more positive community, though I agree with them pruning the MSQ and adjusting xp requirements to speed up 2.x for new players wholeheartedly.

Here's my latest "I love this community" story:

We were in Dun Scaith last night. We're on Diabolos and my friend tell the tank "turn him away when he casts that" which was incorrect. The stacking debuff is based on mid-range hit, so you get at range or stack on him to avoid it, but my friend thought it was a direction attack. No big deal, really, but a monk decides the proper response is "ARE YOU RETARDED?" and it played out like this:

Friend tank: Turn him away from group to avoid that
    Monk: ARE YOU RETARDED
    Healer: That escalated quickly.
    Friend tank: You want the stacking debuff?
    Monk: CONFIRMED. RETARDED.
    Other player: Nah, it's mid-range based. Get close or at max range and you'll avoid it, it's not based on his facing the group.
    Monk: ^ FEEL RETARDED NOW?
    MCH (another friend of ours): Use a different word.
    Monk: Sorry, sorry. MENTALLY HANDICAPPED.

This was then followed by numerous players dogpiling the Monk with "wow you're so edgy" "Such edgy, teach me please" "There's no reason to be a jerk, just explain how the mechanic actually works" "No need to be an ass, man" and things like that.

We had another player during this expansion talking trash on people messing up on mechanics in one of the Alexander runs. That poor jerk didn't know that my FC had the majority of the party. He got the boot and we kept the ones screwing up. Had a healer (who wasn't messing up) speak up after they were glad he was gone and we proceeded to help the new folks learn the mechanics and down the run easy peasy.

So yeah, there are bad eggs here and there, but it does me proud to see most push back against them when I've personally come across them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    *snip*
    Fully agree with you. I was just noting how bad that license was implemented at US launch in XI because of the RNG server placement.

I wholeheartedly would like to have one in FFXIV. Currently I just tell friends that if they try it on another server and like it (give them room to play around on their own for a bit) I'll pick up the server transfer for them. Though I advise them to make alts first since it transfers the whole lot of 'em and they can fantasia later if they do decide to poke around on alts.

HOWEVER!!!!

We've not only got cross party finder, but Yoshida was talking about cross server FC membership at Fan Fest, making me think they want a way for other server players to access FC chat and eventually FC housing on a server they aren't on. I'm guessing they want to do like WoW and make server separation as invisible as possible for players wanting to play together, which could be interesting in time. Just doesn't help us NOW. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I wholeheartedly believe some of the restrictions that people rail against are the reason for this and fostering a positive community is at the forefront of Yoshida's mind. Just look at the weekend live letter when DPS meters came up again. He said he understands the desire to use them for self improvement, but even if you can only see your own DPS, it becomes "Tell me what your DPS is" and they feel it would be negative for the community. They're looking for ways to give players these improvement measurements for self use without injecting toxicity found elsewhere and I greatly respect them for it.
    Eh DPS meters don't cause toxicity. Players in this game already segregate and abuse people based on PERCEPTIONS instead of actual data. That's honestly a far worse problem. Hell I've seen shitty statics torn apart because they were failing fights and couldn't pinpoint who it was because no one had any idea on the data.

I don't think any game (let alone situation in the world) should protect a person from feedback. I mean imagine if you played dark souls, but when you died you got instantly ressed and got a damage buff... That's the game saying dying is not a bad thing, just keep playing. In FF14 that's the game saying its ok it doesn't matter what buttons you push, here's your participation medal.

And as much as some are going to hate it, and disagree with me on it, I feel like the MSQ requirements for each expansion to move to the next is another factor that attributes to a more positive community, though I agree with them pruning the MSQ and adjusting xp requirements to speed up 2.x for new players wholeheartedly.
    If you surround yourself with people who only think the same as you it might feel more inclusive and good, but you also never challenge your expectations or learn anything new. If you surround yourself with nothing but yes men it might be a more positive community, but is it truly better? Conflict/competition breeds innovation, in gaming that is true too.

We had another player during this expansion talking trash on people messing up on mechanics in one of the Alexander runs. That poor jerk didn't know that my FC had the majority of the party. He got the boot and we kept the ones screwing up. Had a healer (who wasn't messing up) speak up after they were glad he was gone and we proceeded to help the new folks learn the mechanics and down the run easy peasy.

So yeah, there are bad eggs here and there, but it does me proud to see most push back against them when I've personally come across them.
    I mean a lot depends on the circumstances here. Was it a PF group labeled as learning? If so he's in the wrong. Was it a farm PF group? If so people making consistent repeated mistakes are in the wrong. Was it just a DF group? In which case he's wrong. It also depends if he was ACTUALLY talking trash, or merely pointing out people making mistakes (in an effort to identify that maybe someone needs to explain mechanics to them).

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Eh DPS meters don't cause toxicity. Players in this game already segregate and abuse people based on PERCEPTIONS instead of actual data. That's honestly a far worse problem. Hell I've seen shitty statics torn apart because they were failing fights and couldn't pinpoint who it was because no one had any idea on the data.

I don't think any game (let alone situation in the world) should protect a person from feedback. I mean imagine if you played dark souls, but when you died you got instantly ressed and got a damage buff... That's the game saying dying is not a bad thing, just keep playing. In FF14 that's the game saying its ok it doesn't matter what buttons you push, here's your participation medal.
    By that thought process, you should be hard locked at minimum ilvl and de-leveled permanently. There should be no form or function to overpower save perfect execution of mechanics, otherwise you're just getting a participation medal. And bullshit DPS meters don't cause toxcity. It's been an observable phenomenon for years in WoW. Talk shit during fight, post meters after fight, talk shit on everyone who isn't above a certain level. Who cares that the group one shot the boss with no problems, someone didn't meet your DPS e-peen measurement, TALK SHIT ON THEM! POINT AND LAUGH, EVERYONE! The very definition of toxic behavior.

Though you make me ponder...which is more cruel? Dark Souls or classic EQ with the corpse runs, corpse decay, and xp loss + deleveling punishments?

If you surround yourself with people who only think the same as you it might feel more inclusive and good, but you also never challenge your expectations or learn anything new. If you surround yourself with nothing but yes men it might be a more positive community, but is it truly better? Conflict/competition breeds innovation, in gaming that is true too.
    Well I'm happy with the community in FFXIV, but you're welcome to enjoy the clearly superior community of WoW, I suppose. Clearly they have a better community with all the conflict and competition they've had of harshly differeng views of the game. :|

I mean a lot depends on the circumstances here. Was it a PF group labeled as learning? If so he's in the wrong. Was it a farm PF group? If so people making consistent repeated mistakes are in the wrong. Was it just a DF group? In which case he's wrong. It also depends if he was ACTUALLY talking trash, or merely pointing out people making mistakes (in an effort to identify that maybe someone needs to explain mechanics to them).
    They were both duty finder runs. And no, we wouldn't kick someone pointing out mistakes and explaning how to deal with them. Why would you even think we'd kick someone helping? No, honestly, what anywhere in what I said remotely makes you think they were just trying to help and all of us were in the wrong?
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-02-22 at 06:52 PM.

FINALLY! The nightmare of PLD is over, its 60. thats all 23 jobs levelled, every quest in HW done and my quest log is clean and empty ready for stormblood.

Now just gotta get my crafter and gatherer accessories for a the launch boost and i'm good to go