Thread: stormblood

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    What more does it take to realise that this is not the topic?

No ones stopping them to like the story, peeps want a way to avoid the backlog though if they start the game now. And I'm already frowning about the possibility that I have to run old, outdated, not being updated - content to see the new stuff. And the new stuff is why I buy Stormblood, not the old stuff.

The last few pages here do really smell like ass, so much ass sniffing and kissing, it's nearly unbearable.
    We see this daily in several WoW threads, where people try to defend the current system because *they* like it, even though a different system that has been brought up wouldn't affect what they like in any way whatsoever.

I mean, quite literally, there is a person here that doesn't want additional players in his game, because his social awkwardness and insecurities tell him that this is a bad thing or something.
    We all want more players..players who will want to play the game without being all gogogogogogo and will enjoy the story so it can continue

And old content should not be abandoned by anyone and the fact SE encourages it to be run is GOOD not bad

Again you crave a wrpg not a JRPG

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    this off topic rage is adorable.. but annoying.

"OMG EVERYONE WHO LIKES THE MSQ SYSTEM IS HORRIBUL AND THE GAME SHOULD CHANGE TO FIT MAH NEEDS"
    "OMG YOU ARE A SCR00B AND WRONG!"

We get it, different opions, get over yourself.

I am enjoying the MSQ system, because it actually forces me to follow the story, to see what impact events have on the world and their inhabitants. i never cared much about stories in MMO's until now. And I really hope that Stormblood will continue that.
    Although it will take me a bit to get there, currently on my second char (other server) and working on the Titan questline (level 30-40)
    Pretty much my view on it. I enjoy the MSQ. Apart from all the fetch between 2.0 and 2.5 but apart from that one of the best stories I've experienced in a long time.

I mean I don't mind a jumping potion in the game but personally I'd rather not see one added. Plus if we go by the Heavensward MSQ the Stormblood one will be just as toned down.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-22 at 10:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    We all want more players..players who will want to play the game without being all gogogogogogo and will enjoy the story so it can continue

And old content should not be abandoned by anyone and the fact SE encourages it to be run is GOOD not bad

Again you crave a wrpg not a JRPG
    What the hell are you talking about, this has nothing to do with jrpgs or wrpgs, the difference is how the story is written, not how the game is being played.
    I've probably played more JRPGs than you will ever see, who knows.

Also, there are people that skip the MSQ and any cutscene/text anyway, I certainly skipped through 80% of it too, because it's shallow trashtalk most of the time, it doesn't take a genius to understand what is going on. The "gogogo" mentallity is already there anyway, it never was absent. Wishful thinking. People leave after the 1st/2nd wipe on a primal or don't even bother certain duties because of the experience they had in the past. Like that one with the bridge and the huge dragon, can't remember the name, even though they've nerved it into oblivion.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-22 at 10:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, quite literally, there is a person here that doesn't want additional players in his game, because his social awkwardness and insecurities tell him that this is a bad thing or something.
    Oh come on, do not be so daft. I am fine with additional players, I am not fine with a game, any game, changing core design choices to lure in players who would not play it otherwise for any reason, double so when the game is successful the way it is currently doing things.

But those last pot shots were cute, try to pretend you know more about me this is amusing.

On the topic of jump potions, almost every friend I have on Balmung who currently is asking for a story skip are not new players. They are veteran players who want to Role alts for RP reasons, and feel because they've already done the story once they should be able to skip it the 2nd time around. Of course that does not account for everyone, it might not even account for a size able amount of players who want to skip the story.

People who are advocating the story skip in this thread seem to have the idea that the only content in this game that matters is level cap content. Which... to each their own, you can't put a definition on what one finds fun.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-02-22 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    Oh come on, do not be so daft. I am fine with additional players, I am not fine with a game, any game, changing core design choices to lure in players who would not play it otherwise for any reason, double so when the game is successful the way it is currently doing things.

But those last pot shots were cute, try to pretend you know more about me this is amusing.
    The game doesn't change with the addition of such a potion. Dur.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-22 at 10:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, by the very definition of change, the game would change.
    Slight the change would be, but change it still is.

But I digress, I get this feeling you're not actually here for constructive conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Pretty much my view on it. I enjoy the MSQ. Apart from all the fetch between 2.0 and 2.5 but apart from that one of the best stories I've experienced in a long time.

I mean I don't mind a jumping potion in the game but personally I'd rather not see one added. Plus if we go by the Heavensward MSQ the Stormblood one will be just as toned down.
    I mean, I won't lose sleep if the jump potion is added, I don't like the idea of it of course.....but if it happens it happens.

I also have not seen any one bitch... -yet- about the HW MSQ only the ARR 2.0+ MSQ, maybe that will change when Stormblood comes out, but the HW story only took me two sittings to finish. The ARR MSQ end took me several days, and nearly burned me out of the game with how drawn out it was from all the damned fetch quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Jesus, you're cpt Off Topic today aren't you? Make your own topic if you want to stroke yourself to "omg I am so right and you're so wrong"

Deleted
    Jesus, you're cpt Off Topic today aren't you? Make your own topic if you want to stroke yourself to "omg I am so right and you're so wrong"

How is this offtopic Cpt. Morals, this is dicussing stormblood and it seems important enough that several guys here felt the need to write multiple, huge walls of text. I'm not even saying I'm right / he's wrong for the sake of pointing it out, I'm just freaked out about people that are so defensive and dense for *no* reason.

"My game needs to stay the way it is, because I dislike change (even though it wouldn't affect me in any way whatsoever but who cares, am I right?)"
    "The 1st step of the Relic-Q doesn't need to change, I had luck, so it's fine"

Same shit over and over again.

I don't have to silently ignore it if I don't want it, opinions are opinions, but sometimes opinions need to be told how bad/irrelevant they are and need to be reasoned with.

But I digress, I get this feeling you're not actually here for constructive conversation.
    What...? Obviously, you can tell me how the game would change (especially for you) with the addition of such a potion? Please share your thoughts... or is it you that isn't here for a constructive conversation?
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-22 at 11:02 AM.

I'm just freaked out about people that are so defensive and dense for no reason.
    Irony from the person who can't grasp the concept of different opinions.

Deleted
    What more does it take to realise that this is not the topic?

No ones stopping them to like the story, peeps want a way to avoid the backlog though if they start the game now. And I'm already frowning about the possibility that I have to run old, outdated, not being updated - content to see the new stuff. And the new stuff is why I buy Stormblood, not the old stuff.

The last few pages here do really smell like ass, so much ass sniffing and kissing, it's nearly unbearable.
    We see this daily in several WoW threads, where people try to defend/attack a certain current system because *they* like/dislike it, even though a different system that has been brought up wouldn't affect what they like in any way whatsoever. (or the system that was initially brought up doesn't affect them in negatively in the first place)

Also, who are you to say that "most" players play it for it's story? The crew I play(ed) with doesn't. The story is just part of the adventure, we have several other reasons why we play it. Style, music, bossfights, character progression - the story is just part of what we like, not the freaking reason.
    Saying that this is the minority, even though you have absolutely no data to back this up, is just ignorant :O. Especially since the question about a story skip comes up again and again and again, even in the past when HW was being released.

On top of that, several liveletters were discussing this very topic, so it seems like it's both important for the playerbase and the devs.. and since this is the case, maybe there is no significant majority either way, which means it should be possible to find a compromise. A skip potion would literally not affect anyone that likes the story (it's quite funny that you think the majority of the players who start the game NOW buy it for the story), it would cost money so people would hesitate to buy it, maybe they could give it for free if you buy Stormblood, maybe not. At least you get new and old players the possibility to access the content, where their friends are playing at, immediatly.
    But that is THE PREMISE of the game. The develpoers want you to see and do the story because its one of these types of games. Asking to skip the story in a mainline final fantasy game is like asking dark souls to have multiple difficulties.
    A final fantasy game's premise is the story. Its the selling point whether its an MMO or a single player. If you enjoy it for different reasons thats on you. A dark souls game selling point is its difficulty. Some people also enjoy it for its lore but you have to look for it it isnt presented to you.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, I won't lose sleep if the jump potion is added, I don't like the idea of it of course.....but if it happens it happens.

I also have not seen any one bitch... -yet- about the HW MSQ only the ARR 2.0+ MSQ, maybe that will change when Stormblood comes out, but the HW story only took me two sittings to finish. The ARR MSQ end took me several days, and nearly burned me out of the game with how drawn out it was from all the damned fetch quests.
    Dude the people are overreacting the ARR story doesnt take that long either especially if they want to skip cutscenes. And if they dont want to skip them the cutscenes are enjoyable so I dont see why they d think they are wasting time

Deleted
    Irony from the person who can't grasp the concept of different opinions.

Please stop talking, really
    It's already funny enough that you think this discussion is offtopic when in fact the very first post is basically asking for a potion to exist.
    You are just wasting everyones time.
    Rarely have I seen someone being so wrong in so few sentences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    But that is THE PREMISE of the game. The develpoers want you to see and do the story because its one of these types of games. Asking to skip the story in a mainline final fantasy game is like asking dark souls to have multiple difficulties.
    A final fantasy game's premise is the story. Its the selling point whether its an MMO or a single player. If you enjoy it for different reasons thats on you. A dark souls game selling point is its difficulty. Some people also enjoy it for its lore but you have to look for it it isnt presented to you.
    It's okay that they want me to see the story, but if I'm skipping through anything they throw at me, I'm not seeing it either way. So why no potion to basically eliminate that process in the first place? On top of that, the devs want me to do all kind of things, I'm pretty sure that they also want me to do sidequests and enjoy the sidequests stories, which are also part of the MSQ tbh because the MSQ alone doesn't even cover and close itself up properly.

It's also irritating that someone who picked up Stormblood, might have done so because he wanted to play SAM or RDM, yet he can only play these classes relatively late into the level experience instead of the start. Like, being forced to play something you don't even want to play, just so you can get to the class you actually want to play as isn't really what I'd consider fun, you know....
    So basically, there are these guys that aren't too interested in the story (because you know, the fetch quests etc. are real) and that aren't interested in the class they play.
    Like what reason do they have to keep playing? There is no redeeming point whatsoeves and that's just sad. Especially since the HW (MSQ) quests are so much better written/told as *most* of the ARR ones.

Dude the people are overreacting the ARR story doesnt take that long either especially if they want to skip cutscenes. And if they dont want to skip them the cutscenes are enjoyable so I dont see why they d think they are wasting time
    Meh, they take quite some time honestly, new players don't have any knowledge about the game whatsoever, and the quest design isn't something I'd call beginner friendly. Everytime SE releases a patch for this game, I'm having some serious trouble finding the new stuff and actually have to read up on it in the patchnotes, because the game itself does a very poor job in leading you towards the new stuff. And I know that I'm not alone on this one.

New players feel even more lost, my brother started this game and stopped somewhere in the mid 40s, he couldn't be troubled with all the fetching and talking MSQs that were extremely boring and long to listen/read through and when he stopped caring, it didn't even get much faster because it actually *does* take some time.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-22 at 11:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the hell are you talking about, this has nothing to do with jrpgs or wrpgs, the difference is how the story is written, not how the game is being played.
    I've probably played more JRPGs than you will ever see, who knows.

Also, there are people that skip the MSQ and any cutscene/text anyway, I certainly skipped through 80% of it too, because it's shallow trashtalk most of the time, it doesn't take a genius to understand what is going on. The "gogogo" mentallity is already there anyway, it never was absent. Wishful thinking. People leave after the 1st/2nd wipe on a primal or don't even bother certain duties because of the experience they had in the past. Like that one with the bridge and the huge dragon, can't remember the name, even though they've nerved it into oblivion.
    Try me on number of JRPGs no seriously try me.

And it kinda does you keep describing wrpg traits and insisting they add them. I really do think eso might be mire your style.

And yes it is here but much more rare then other games

And yes some do skip but not all and by doing so you are also skipping a large chunk of the games content. This game is built around the story abd honestly I lo e it many others love it abd sure not for everyone but I can see the game failing if they abandon it

10+ Year Old Account
    I've one player in FC (who has admitted at least) who skips story - it's always as hilarious when she asks why X character changed appearance or what happened to them. Take Thancred or Y'shtola for example.

While I myself can't wait to get more MSQ and cutscenes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Try me on number of JRPGs no seriously try me.

And it kinda does you keep describing wrpg traits and insisting they add them. I really do think eso might be mire your style.

And yes it is here but much more rare then other games

And yes some do skip but not all and by doing so you are also skipping a large chunk of the games content. This game is built around the story abd honestly I lo e it many others love it abd sure not for everyone but I can see the game failing if they abandon it
    I know that you are a weeb, Dragneel. The thing is, that doesn't stop others from playing JRPGs on handhelds, consoles and PCs too. I was just trying to whip out your pitiful attempt (saying that someone is playing the wrong game) to shrug this discussing off. Especially when you use made up beliefs.

I'm pretty sure I can't skip the story in The Witcher either... what's the point of your remark? It's also build around the story, more so than FFXIV in fact, as it has barely anything to offer than the world and story it plays in, but I don't need to play W1/W2 to play W3 if I don't want to.

And what's that BS about them abandoning the story just because they release the potion for old content? Where is this even comming from? And why do you guys keep repeating it even though there is no reason to think they would suddenly stop thinking about new stories and quests?
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-22 at 11:39 AM.

New players feel even more lost, my brother started this game and stopped somewhere in the mid 40s, he couldn't be troubled with all the fetching and talking MSQs that were extremely boring and long to listen/read through and when he stopped caring, it didn't even get much faster because it actually *does* take some time.

Because your brother quit it's bad design? me, a few guildies from WoW, my wife and a good friend of ours all started playing and love the system, as I said earlier, you actually see the consequences of your actions. You see what your (in)action did or did not do. It makes the world feel a lot less static, and more alive.

Deleted
    Because your brother quit it's bad design? me, a few guildies from WoW, my wife and a good friend of ours all started playing and love the system, as I said earlier, you actually see the consequences of your actions. You see what your (in)action did or did not do. It makes the world feel a lot less static, and more alive.
    What "system" are you even talking about? I didn't talk about no "system". The MSQ and the content being gated behind it isn't really a system. I'm saying that there is no way around it, even though there could and no one would/should be bothered by it, because I'm pretty sure that your wife and friends will still enjoy the story, even after my brother was able to skip it.

Ch-Checkmate?

So yeah, bad design, because it fails to attract players that would/might otherwise enjoy the game.
    I'm not too fond of a 1-3h tutorial either, but most games allow to skip that stuff, most games even include important story in tutorials but I'm still allowed to skip it. They wouldn't even charge me for that but since this is an MMO, I can see why they would do it there.

I can also understand that people like the story and the tutorial, good thing most of it is optional in modern games (and even 10 year old ones). So both parties get to enjoy it what they want.

As for what your characters and actions did/didn't do... this is really no different from WoW or any other MMORGP I've played... I wonder why that is even worth mentioning because when I've beaten Primal X/Y or General Z/A, the dudes in that area will still act as if that guy is still alive. In fact, sometimes you even have to backtrack and fight the same guys again (not talking about primals/dungeons here)
    Not to mention that I'm actually doing it "solo" in the MSQ, even though I never tackle it solo and always with a group of other light-based beeings that help me out. Pretty sure that there was an explanation somewhere along the story line, could be wrong though. Either way... it's literally 08/15 MMO stuff. Nothing world-changing at all.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-22 at 11:58 AM.

Not really, you want the game to change to suit the needs of the minority. Don't like it? Don't play it, in the meantime there are enough people who enjoy the game
    Nobody is forcing you to play the game, there are enough other options around, from WoW to GW2, to Wildstar etc. You want a singular game that does this, to change because you (or your brother) don't agree with it. It just doesn't work that way
    Last edited by 8bithamster; 2017-02-22 at 11:53 AM.

Seriously, You didn't notice all the people who defined the definition you used are random ass western white folk?
    Academics, Philosophers and Game Designers, actually. Don't bother paying attention to what they have to say and just dismiss their points entirely on the grounds that they're "random ass western white folk".

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    1) That's a wikipedia page, which is hardly a definitive source of information of any kind.
    True, but it does present the information in a handy bite-sized way. There are academic journals and publications online, but not everyone has access to those, and they're quite a long read for people who aren't interested in digging through a 12 page article for what can be condensed to a few bullet points. I agree, Wikipedia isn't the best source, but it is a convenient one, and is in this case accurate and clear enough to give everyone some common definitions we can work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Every game has parts that don't truly give the player a choice on how to proceed. Chess for example has "check" which forces the player to move in certain ways. In dodgeball, in most forms, you have no choice but to throw a ball at other people..you can't kick it, you can't roll it, etc... In baseball, you're forced to run around the bases in a very specific pattern, you're forced to use a bat to hit a little stitched white ball and you're forced to switch from offense to defense every three outs, football, basketball, ....there's no player choice there either.
    In Chess a check comes about as a result of choices made by the players. The rules regarding it also prevent players from accidentally losing the game by making a move that could result in their King being captured.

In your Dodgeball and Baseball examples, those are the game rules setting the boundries of the experience. They're necessary for the game to even take place.

In FF 14 the physical boundries of the experience are set by the geography of Eorzea in much the same way a football pitch is the boundry of that experience. The rules regarding combat and player interactions set the boundries of those experiences. Those rules are then completely ignored because it is the ineffable will of Square Enix.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    If people do choose to enjoy Final Fantasy for other reasons than the story? I've enjoyed doing things like the 122333 runs in FF 12 and No Sphere Grid runs in 10. Those weren't intended by Square, nor were any of the countless other challenge runs or Speed Runs and so on that players themselves can come up with. Developers do not get to say you "playing the game wrong"!

The only other Final Fantasy that has been this strict with the story was 13, and that was a very polarising game because of it. The rest have all allowed the player the freedom to chase whatever goals they wanted to in game.

Also Dark Souls games do have adjustable difficulty, it's not built into the interface, but the games mechanics themselves. You get to choose how diffcult the game is for you through your weapon and spell choices, or by opting into certain covenants. It's actually a very interesting topic to get into, and one that could very well be a feature of future gaming. Extra Credits did great summary of it, if you're interested.

Anyone wanting to play them for the lore and the world can do so at a drastically reduced difficulty if they so wish, (it scales so low that even my Mum has completed all three Dark Souls!) without it affecting players who are looking for that hard-as-nails old school kind of challenge. It's a solution that works for everybody.

I want Square to come up with a similar system with their MSQ, one that works for everybody. One that doesn't chase away people who would otherwise really enjoy what the game has to offer, but are put off by the story. One that lets players who love the story do it to the exclusion of all else.

Deleted
    Not really, you want the game to change to suit the needs of the minority. Don't like it? Don't play it, in the meantime there are enough people who enjoy the game
    Nobody is forcing you to play the game, there are enough other options around, from WoW to GW2, to Wildstar etc. You want a singular game that does this, to change because you (or your brother) don't agree with it. It just doesn't work that way
    Savage Alex or Savage in general is there for the minority too, no one is forcing me to do it either. So it DOES work that way.... god damn.
    But I'm sure you are able to ignore this just as well as all the other valid concerns.

I mentioned it before, you are being dense, that is all.
    You'd decline a free 5$ bill because, for some weird reason, you believe your life would change if you'd accept it. For certain however, these 5$ won't have an impact on your life at all, it would be nice to have though.

Don't like *SOMETHING* about X, don't play it!? My ass, don't be that guy, you are telling me the <1m subscribers FFXIV are happy with every little thing FFXIV has to offer?
    And what mfing minority are you even talking about, going with made up beliefs again?
    Damn your omnipotent knowledge about the numbers of people NOT playing the game because they couldn't stomach the gated content and boring MSQ design. What chances do I have. So weird that FFXIV has so much more Accounts than subscribers though, really weird *gasp*.
    And it seems really, really hard for you to understand that there is, technically, a perfect solution for both - but damn, why should others enjoy playing the game I enjoy, am I right?
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-22 at 12:37 PM.

Savage Alex or Savage in general is there for the minority too, no ones forcing me to do it either. So it DOES work that way.... god damn.
    But are there enough other things to do endgame besides Alex or Savage? Jep, is there enough other content to do besides the MSQ? Jep. oh snap

Yes you have to put effort into the game to progress somewhere, you have to follow the story to a certain point to progress, it just works that way. Don't like it? sure, more power to you. But you'll have to accept that there are also a lot of people who do like it.