Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My FC (guild) in FF14 uses Discord now. Works fairly well, except for one of our people, who will at random times be unable to hear any of us speaking, yet we can hear him. We've spent hours troubleshooting, trying different drivers and such, reinstalling, but no dice. He's the only person who has the problem, so while I'm convinced it's something to do with his PC, I haven't been able to help pinpoint the issue. Rather irritating; were it not for that, we'd all be as happy as could be using Discord. It has built-in volume control (where it will lower game sounds when someone speaks); the only way to get that with Teamspeak, last I checked, was a plug-in from 2010 that hasn't been updated since (and TS itself has been 2-3 times, I think).

One nice thing with Vent was it took all of 15-20 minutes to set up by configuring the text file. But it's archaic as all hell with it's 8 user limit (for the free server, that is). Not to mention the sound codecs...

My guild did the switch some time ago, and it's been working flawlessly so far for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    So because it's an American company they are inherently insecure? That's a load of shit.
    If privacy is your concern it's true.
    There's lots of companies that take security and privacy very serious.
    I'm sure there are, but US laws undermine just that.
    The difference is there are laws in the US that require you to disclose breaches if enough people are affected. You're not even obligated to report a data breach in Germany unless it is credit card related. So right there you're already left in the dark.
    Nope, you're are obligated to report data breaches if personal identifiable information leaked to third parties, pretty much the same deal as in the US.

and btw. is yahoo an american company and would >1 billion accounts suffice for the number of "if enough people are effected"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Discord is the best voice program I have ever seen. It completely annihilate Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Mumble and Skype.

Mostly due to how simple it is to use, with amazing UI and menus.

Last guild I was in used Discord, I hated it. Mumble all the way plz.
    Hi Sephurik

We switched to Discord, then some people got annoyed that there are no real sounds for example "user joined channel" etc. You would just get another *woop*, *babling* ...*woop*... what the f*ck happened? Guess I have to check my discord window...everytime ...
    and yeah, that was the end of Discord. :O

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the chat functionality of Discord above Vent/Mumble/TS.
    We got rid of a dedicated website because of that.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Deleted
    for some reason we use teamspeak for voice and discord for announcements/chatting/progress related stuff

channel gifs might be a reason to stay with teamspeak

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    I like the chat functionality of Discord above Vent/Mumble/TS.
    We got rid of a dedicated website because of that.
    Same here, before we had a Vent server and also a webpage for forums etc, but now we use Discord exclusively.
    We used it for raid signs, tactics, tank/healer-discussions (only those flagged as tank or healer have access to these channels), general text-chat, and ofc voice chat.
    Its a wonderful little program imo, and the fact that I can have it on my phone or log in through the browser at work to let the others know if I´m gonna be late/cancel a raid is a great extra feature.
    We´re pretty casual, and several members have the app installed on their phones, and use it to shoot pictures of their work-day etc and post to off-topic.
    Like now, two of our members are on holiday in Thailand, and we can keep communicating with them as usual through Discord, instead of them only having contact with those they have the phone numbers of, etc.
    They can post pictures of the pool for the whole guild to be envious of

All in all, I love it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styxore View Post
    If privacy is your concern it's true.
    I'm sure there are, but US laws undermine just that.

Nope, you're are obligated to report data breaches if personal identifiable information leaked to third parties, pretty much the same deal as in the US.

and btw. is yahoo an american company and would >1 billion accounts suffice for the number of "if enough people are effected"?
    He was referring to his private server in Germany. They have different laws than the US when reporting data breaches. In fact they are far more lenient than the US. Yahoo btw is not discord. Yahoo has been one of the most hacked companies for the last two decades. That's common knowledge in the IT community. It's only the media that acts like their latest data breach is something new. Yahoo failed to report it for years which is why they are being sued. If you want to be 100% anonymous you should unplug the internet.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

I rofl when i see a raid pug saying "Vent is required" hahaha, wtf bro i wont install that piece of shiet on my pc and NEVER will put those IP PORT NAME PASSWORD and whatever the program ask u to enter the server.

If u are not using discord by this date, is because you have problems with changes. Can remember the first day of discord in my guild, ALL DOOM, ALL WRONG, ALL UNACCEPTABLE.
    Now im at work and im sure they are hanging out in discord channel.

Dont be afraid to changes .- Shonist 2017

Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    If u are not using discord by this date, is because you have problems with changes. Can remember the first day of discord in my guild, ALL DOOM, ALL WRONG, ALL UNACCEPTABLE.
    Now im at work and im sure they are hanging out in discord channel.

Dont be afraid to changes .- Shonist 2017
    Or prefer better sound quality then discord could offer, which is why we only use discord for chat (in lieu of a website as others) and returned (yes - went back to) mumble due to the better quality. Sure, I love discords extra features and it's by far the easiest to jump into - but it's also not doing it's job as a competitive voice com (given it's a gaming voice com platform) particularly well. If we could self host the servers until they sorted it out, that would be much preferred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    We tried using Discord as a guild, was all fine untill more than 5 people joined the channel and the sound quality became absolutely horrendous. Literally like talking through a tin can.
    We instantly switched back to Teamspeak and never looked back.

The functionality is great though, if they do add a (paid) option to improve the sound quality / use a different voice codec we will definitely switch, untill then, no thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    We tried using Discord as a guild, was all fine untill more than 5 people joined the channel and the sound quality became absolutely horrendous. Literally like talking through a tin can.
    We instantly switched back to Teamspeak and never looked back.

The functionality is great though, if they do add a (paid) option to improve the sound quality / use a different voice codec we will definitely switch, untill then, no thanks.
    That sounds like a latency issue with your ISP and the discord server which is possible. The channel streams at a fixed rate so additional people wouldn't cause this to happen. The max bitrate is 96k but most people have it set at 64k. It uses the same codec as Mumble and I believe Teamspeak also.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Or prefer better sound quality then discord could offer, which is why we only use discord for chat (in lieu of a website as others) and returned (yes - went back to) mumble due to the better quality. Sure, I love discords extra features and it's by far the easiest to jump into - but it's also not doing it's job as a competitive voice com (given it's a gaming voice com platform) particularly well. If we could self host the servers until they sorted it out, that would be much preferred.
    Last time i checked you could change the voice quality (bit rate i think) in discord. btw, bad voice com?? maybe you are a talented musician perhaps?

my guild is using discord now, because ts servers are too expensive and in general, discord is better and free

We are considering a move back to Mumble as we have too many issues with Discord. Randomly muting people mid raid and things like this constantly keep happening.

Deleted
    That sounds like a latency issue with your ISP and the discord server which is possible. The channel streams at a fixed rate so additional people wouldn't cause this to happen. The max bitrate is 96k but most people have it set at 64k. It uses the same codec as Mumble and I believe Teamspeak also.
    No latency at all, like i said on TS it's fine.
    The bad sound was literally for everyone in the channel. It's not good audio quality to start with but when there where multiple people speaking at once it just got atrocious. Not just for me but for everyone in the channel. So it's nothing to do with my ISP.
    No way that it's using the same codec TS is, the sound quality between Discord and TS is huge (in favor of TS).

15+ Year Old Account
    My guild did months ago.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Discords Voicechat is so unsanely bad
    My former guild tested it and we decided against it, was by FAR the worst raiding experience we ever had

Im happy that my current guild dont use discord