Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Season ended. Results and opinions.

Starting with good stuff - I got my first golden weapon. I play Pharrah a lot so I chose to spend my points on rocket launcher. Also I had very much fun playing Ana this season, may be switch to her in the future. Got a good set of skins during the rooster event and I am happy CTF is here to stay.

The bad stuff: I was never been able to climb higher then I was after qualification matches. I mean it. 2700 is my top season score and I ended at 2400. I know, despite the fact I was playing UT2003-4 professionally, aim getting old (36 atm) and will hardly be able to aim like when I was 18. Having a full time job its hard to get back at the game for 2-3 hours a day and always perform at 100% capability. But still. I always try to fill. I think I played tanks and supports more then my main this season. But it wasn't enough. People don't use voice. People don't adjust to counter pick, especially DPS roles. Genjis and Junkrats trying to kill Phara - I am looking at you. I practice some eastern kind of stuff. Usually I meditate a bit before game sessions. But hell some days I become so tilted I can't even go to sleep till early morning.

I understand that it looks like a vent/rant thread. I believe it does. But I am looking for some advice from more high ranked / skilled players - how did u overcome the problem of the player base. Are u just that good and able to carry the whole team, or is it a some kind of a different mind set.

cheers!

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hi there!

On PS4 i got to 3240+ in S3. Most of the time soloqueing. Rest of the time i played with my best friend and his clan. Most of the time i played support, because "the game can always use more healer", like Tracer said.. or.. something like that. I know im not a very skilled player, neither am I very high ranked. Just my two cents.

Only advices i could give you is to group up with ppl, look for a clan on social media and try to get rid of randoms as much as you can.

If you don´t want to be bound to a group of people, then stick with soloq and just give your very best Even when sticking in "ELO HELL", or lower rank.

It´s not about the rank, the points or the golden weapons, it´s about the fun to play a game you are enjoying

"ps: sry for bad english :X)

Quote Originally Posted by Useful View Post
    ... Are u just that good and able to carry the whole team, or is it a some kind of a different mind set...
    I didn't fare much better. Though, I feel that having a solid group that you play with regularly helps a ton. I have 5 RL friends that I play with constantly. We will jump into Quick Play to work on strats and communication. Sometimes we split into groups of 3 and do the 3v3 just to warm up or see how we can support each other. We will experiment with different combinations and even push each other to play different characters as the situation demands it. I don't believe in higher ranking you will see many people being carried.

I suppose my takeaway is play with friends and have fun. Without joking on the mic when you die or offering sit. reps. the game could get very boring and stressful, very quickly.

couldn't get out of diamond hell as solo que, people don't want to cooperate as a team on console. It's defense and 3 people go pharah mccree and genji? Really?And there is always a fucking genji

always

never not a genji
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Balancing silver and gold, playing casually. I had vastly different experiances in between those 2:

Silver:
    -No one on voice chat, sometimes one guy who sounds like a hurricane is ravaging his house
    -"2-2-2 or bust, we need Soldier to kill pharah!"

Gold:
    -EVERYONE on voice chat at all times
    -"Guys 4 dps 2 tanks? Don't we need a healer?" "Nah, I'm good with Soldier, just stand in circle"

Deleted
    I ended up diamond & master placement matches, there was people playing widow, mccree etc while I was playing Mercy. They asked me to swap because I was useless, so I picked Pharah for ult stacking(Main from day one). Well, after that I was retard, idiot, handicapped.

I switched to Lucio, well I was retard again because I couldn't heal I got my ~3.5k rating from placements, not going to play that shitty game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Couldnt escape plat, had 12 points from Diamond. Placed around 2700 I think, played about 65 games total.

Personally I think ranked is a complete shitfest, so everythings working normally basically. Outside of 6 stacking the game is kind of reliant on how cooperative your team is, the idea of "maining" a hero is very pervasive in this game which makes ranked a bit of a nightmare if you run into these players, which I did a good 1/3rd of the games. Sometimes it works and you can play around it, other times its unwinnable because of how impactful a single player can be, even as a distraction.

I tend to find I wasnt playing against total mouth breathers which meant carrying a useless team mate was very difficult, additionally Im more of a Support player so my carrying options are limited if no one capitalises.

This season though the best combination for almost every possible line up was: Zarya - Rein ________Zenyatta / Lucio_________ Soldier / Phara -_________Alternate picks Genji / Roadhog Substituting for a DPS. Mercy is an honourable mention on some maps like Hollywood Defence.

The Zarya Rein combo is absolutely disgusting, its completely inexcusable to not pick it, Ana was my usual pick at the start but I felt she kind of waned a little bit as the season went on. Phara is also completely ridiculous with her damage output and nigh invulnerability in the sky, 200 miles away from the fight but still making an impact.

TLDR: 6 stack or suffer - Listen to what the freaking pro's pick and play - Be versatile or fuck off to Quick Play.
    I'm going to get another smurf and get to Masters or higher playing just a support while solo queuing just for you next season.

Your opinion on Pharah stays fucking hilarious to me too, jfc.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2017-02-22 at 03:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only did placements last week. I had hoped/expected to rank gold after winning 8/10 and my stats looked pretty good; and looking at the gain/loss ratios for SR had I just started out on my old SR I would have done pretty comfortably. That's not how it works though, they are utterly pointless, so I ranked silver virtually where I abandoned last season after an awful lose streak, and with my matches over the weekend being 2-3 losses per win, my SR barely moved at all.

My placements in week last week, and matches on Monday night were all pretty good though however they turned out, so I think I will play some more comp next season; I'll just be avoiding weekends and school holidays - they seem to be the common denominator of where things go wrong.

I hope for S4 we have an option to just pick up where we left off rather than do placements again; unless they've made some significant adjustments to the placement system to warrant it there's just no point in their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I only did placements last week. I had hoped/expected to rank gold after winning 8/10 and my stats looked pretty good; and looking at the gain/loss ratios for SR had I just started out on my old SR I would have done pretty comfortably. That's not how it works though, they are utterly pointless, so I ranked silver virtually where I abandoned last season after an awful lose streak, and with my matches over the weekend being 2-3 losses per win, my SR barely moved at all.

My placements in week last week, and matches on Monday night were all pretty good though however they turned out, so I think I will play some more comp next season; I'll just be avoiding weekends and school holidays - they seem to be the common denominator of where things go wrong.

I hope for S4 we have an option to just pick up where we left off rather than do placements again; unless they've made some significant adjustments to the placement system to warrant it there's just no point in their existence.
    They've changed the way placements worked basically every time so far so I expect the same thing to happen again.

This season was a bit of a mess in terms of rankings/mmr, notice the incredible increase of people around the 3.2k~ish rating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    They've changed the way placements worked basically every time so far so I expect the same thing to happen again.

This season was a bit of a mess in terms of rankings/mmr, notice the incredible increase of people around the 3.2k~ish rating.
    Those rankings are tracked by third party sites that require people to look; and people will look when they hit a new ranking - particularly 3k because those are the sorts of players who actually care. That makes those stats horribly unreliable.

I think if they had any drastic changes in mind they'd have been quicker to get the news out of the door so that people knew. As it is "every time" is twice, two points don't demonstrate a trend.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-02-22 at 07:34 PM.

I only did my placement matches a few days before the season ended and I wouldn't have done it any other way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished my placement matches ended up around 2800 and managed to get a few good games in and get to 3070 at my highest but then droped to 2900 and not played for a few months. Can finally get my first golden gun, thinking of getting Genjis (Yes I know I'm "that guy") but I do generally play healer during competitive since my Ana is pretty good. Although one guy saying I must be trolling cos I didn't have a 50% winrate was quite entertaining.

Did my placements a month after season started, got placed at like, 2450 I believe.

Played like, 3 times I think to climb up to 2557, and then didn't touch Comp past that. It's not that I don't enjoy it, it's that whenever I have enough free time to play it, I'd rather do something else. Should be able to get my golden weapon at the end of the next season though hopefully, probably going to get Zarya's or Junkrat's. Unsure at the moment.

Didn't have any issues overall personally though. I mean, I had like, 2 matches where someone got mad, but that's about it. Otherwise usually either quiet, or just talk of people asking what others want for the team comp.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Placements put me at 2350 or something (probably because of my S1 rank, didn't play S2 and i only won 3 out of 10 placement matches), made it to a season high of 2978 but the ELO gods wouldn't quite grant me that last win to get to diamond. Ended up at 2880 or something.

I did improve over the season so with luck maybe I'll get into diamond right away from placement matches in S4.

Pretty much only had time to play comp enough to get 2500 for my 800 points. Got Widow golden gun as motivation to get better at her and because she's my favorite character aesthetically/lore/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

7+ Year Old Account
    i ended up with 2599 SR.
    with my season high being 2684, my career high 2715.
    got my golden gun, for widow, even tho i dont play her at all anymore.

what bothers me however, is that i couldnt get past 2680 this season.
    its like, every time i win, blizz personally puts me with people who do the smallest, most stupid and bullshit yet most game changing mistakes...

*got the point*
    "nice guys! now stay here, we gotta defend the point"

*watches silentily while the team is getting slaughtered at the enemy spawn entrance*
    ".... kill me please"

so many losses could've been avoided by just listening and regrouping, but nah.

Formerly known as Arafal

My friend who got me into the game didn't play competitive so I didn't try it until about 3 weeks before the season was ending so I didn't really try that hard at raising my rank or anything. I want a gold weapon so I'm probably gonna try alot harder this season to get it.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Meh...did my placements...got Gold...didn't really bother trying to even climb the SR ladder after that.

For me the reward for competitive just....isn't there. Golden guns? Yay? I mean they are shiny, sure, but they really should do MORE with it. Maybe make competitive skins you can buy with the points as well, or something.....

As for a Gold gun...I'll get one when I get one I really don't care about them so much as to put a ton of effort into seasons.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played more of the game in Dec and Jan than I had from May to Nov. Vast majority of it in comp as Mercy. I climbed, I got her golden weapons, and it was all quite satisfying in the end.

Mercy is far and away my favorite hero so I'm not sure if I'll play much of comp next season. I don't play anyone else enough to warrant another golden weapon grind atm.
    Last edited by Daws001; 2017-02-24 at 03:50 AM.

I didn't like this season, only played 23 hours, season 1 and 2 i played arround 80 hours each.

Placed 2500 ~, i have 2300 cp, do not know which golden weapon i'll get next, i have ana and roadhoag golden weapons