Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Wait, so are you telling me you have any respect for a tradition that is all about sex segregation and inferior position of women in society?
    I accept that changing traditions will not start by being disrespectful towards them but by starting a dialogue including those that are subject to segregation. I also understand that religions have customs people are expected to abide by when getting in contact with. I´ll gladly make away with all religions, but as even the civilized world seems to be far from accomplishing that i see no issue with respecting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    I spit on such traditions and culture. They have no place in civilized world. If Lebanon wants to aspire to this civilized world, and establish contacts with its leaders, it is them that must reshape their backwards views, not us.
    Spitting on them will help nothing but alienating yourself from the people who follow those traditions and cultures, not very civilized of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

- woman refuses to subjugate herself to oppression;
    - is labeled Islamophobic.

Stay MMOC, MMOC. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AveMaria View Post
    And what better way is there than to show solidarity with the women that beg western feminists to refuse covering their hair?
    Show solidarity with the clergy that suppresses them?

As usual, its not about human rights, but trade deals. And some pesky women who get brutalized by the male population is not gonna stop anyone, not even
    "The worlds first feminist government"™!!
    It´s right in the quote, maybe read more than the first sentence?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Not possible. France never ceased to be great.
    I recall a period from 1940-1944 where France was not so great.

It is funny we expect foreigners to respect our traditions when they come to our countries, but don't respect theirs in return.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AveMaria View Post
    And what better way is there than to show solidarity with the women that beg western feminists to refuse covering their hair?
    Show solidarity with the clergy that suppresses them?

As usual, its not about human rights, but trade deals. And some pesky women who get brutalized by the male population is not gonna stop anyone, not even
    "The worlds first feminist government"™!!
    Oh and judging by your choice of avatar, name and location, you´re not really all that much into defending womens rights.

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so she'll wear a cowboy hat, to ride a horse at an event in public, but won't wear a headscarf due to another country's social norms.

Lord knows, those horses sure would have been insulted if she didn't play dress-up and cover her head.

Then again she thinks it's going to make her look strong and that's the only reason she's doing it. (Other than her disdain for their religion.) Just another charlatan playing politics. Nothing more.

Last edited by -Nurot; 2017-02-22 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Wow. Refusing to wear a headscarf. So bold.

Isn't she under investigation for fraud? Whatever happened to that.
    If you understood the repercussions of women in countries like that who refuse to wear their slave garb you would know it's a bold statement

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    So we should respect everyones culture simultaneously, even when everyone has a completely subjective subculture and all it really comes down to is "Hey I don't like X".

Personally I don't understand this absolute fascination with trying to change Muslim culture. Does anyone honestly think it's going to take anything less than a World War 2 style Japanese ending for Muslim culture to change so quickly? We are talking about thousands of years of enforced doctrine and ridiculous tradition being undone in a matter of years.

You can't do that without a large enough threat of extermination.
    Judging by pictures from iran from the 60s compared to the 90s, nope that obviously is not needed. Maybe we should look at what happened back then and try that again instead of becoming yet again waring idiots who think will accomplish anything other than making some folks rich and the majority suffer and die.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Shouldn't he respect her culture as well? you think?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe how much more progressive I am compared to some of our ultra left posters.
    If he visits her country then yes he should. It's like going over to someone's house and refusing to take of your shoes or hat at their request becasue that is how they run their home. You respect the places you visit. If you want to change something you start a dialogue, not piss on their traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureapex View Post
    Actually Nazi's seemed to be very focused on being Aesthetically pleasing. Communists are the disgusting ones.
    Nazi's had a very narrow view of what was considered aesthetically pleasing....most of them didn't live up to it.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Where did I say that? I don't believe any woman has to wear a dress.
    You said it's sexist to tell people what to wear based on their gender. You cried sexism.

I provided other examples, which you just basically ignored and said were off topic.

But again, you have no legal basis for this claim. My boss can require that I wear a tie to work, and I cannot sue him (successfully) on the ground of sexism.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Judging by pictures from iran from the 60s compared to the 90s, nope that obviously is not needed. Maybe we should look at what happened back then and try that again instead of becoming yet again waring idiots who think will accomplish anything other than making some folks rich and the majority suffer and die.
    You say that, but the rich will still get richer, and the majority will still suffer and die even with those good sentiments. At this point, war if anything is a catalyst for regional change. Regardless if that change is good or bad, subjectively, it's atleast change. Right now the middle east is a combination of warzone and stagnant.

Be progressive all you like, it hasn't done much in the last 8 years that wasn't undone by an orange idiot.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

I wonder how many are actually aware that the whole "cover your hair"-crap spawned from Christianity. <.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    If you understood the repercussions of women in countries like that who refuse to wear their slave garb you would know it's a bold statement
    Wow just completely clueless. Women are not required to wear a hijab in Lebanon.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    "Hofer will never win the Austrian presidential election"
    Wait, he actually did not.

The point is: Just because two countries had a similar trend in an election/votum does not mean that others will follow. Le Pen could theoretically become president, sure, but so could any of her opponents. Her chances of actually winning the second round (which is an important thing to keep in mind) are not that great, and pretending that she basically is already the certain next French president is not the most reasonable thing to do.
    Hofer is a better comparison than Trump for Le Pen, because:

1.) The election works similar. First round open for all, 2nd round is between the 2 winners of round 1.

2.) Neither Hofer nor Le Pen are from the big parties.

In the Austrian election, the other candidate was also from a small left party, so he got all the votes from the left. For the right it was a bit harder to decide. While the couldn't stand van der Bellen - a very left guy - Hofer still was one of the masterminds of the populist FPÖ and isn't electable for some conservative (guys like skroe). The problem for these far-right candidates is that in most countries they'll never get above 30%. Hofer had a shot because he was really soft-spoken, well mannered, the perfect son-in-law. That was the only strategy that worked, and ultimatley it wasn't enough.

Le Pen will face similar problems. If she wants to win she needs the conservatives, and again I mean the real conservatives, and the will not be happy with this kind of behaviour (not because the like the headscarf/imam/islam, but because it isn't presidential)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    It is funny we expect foreigners to respect our traditions when they come to our countries, but don't respect theirs in return.
    Yes, it really IS different for national figureheads who need to make judgment calls as to how they are wont to proceed in situations that require interpreting (this one didn't for her message as a politician).

15+ Year Old Account
    You say that, but the rich will still get richer, and the majority will still suffer and die even with those good sentiments. At this point, war if anything is a catalyst for regional change. Regardless if that change is good or bad, subjectively, it's atleast change. Right now the middle east is a combination of warzone and stagnant.
    Yeah, it accomplished oh so much for the segregated and suppressed. Let´s try what hasn´t worked for the past 40 years again, because at least it´s change.

Be progressive all you like, it hasn't done much in the last 8 years that wasn't undone by an orange idiot.
    I don´t follow.

Edited: Actually this was a misquote, disregard.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-02-23 at 02:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFS, ban political threads.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.