Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Trump hiring freeze forces suspension of military child care programs

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-hiri...fa3#.9jcotl5ar

Trump has already reneged on a campaign promise to service members.
    Announcing his pick for Secretary of Defense last December, Trump promised that, when he became president, “all men and women in uniform will have the supplies, support, equipment, training, services, medical care, and resources they need to get the job done incredibly well and perfectly.”
    It’s not turning out that way.
    On January 23, Trump announced a hiring freeze for federal workers. While the freeze included exemptions for those “working in the military” and other national security positions, members of the Armed Forces are feeling the effects.
    At least two Army bases are suspending childcare programs, citing staff shortages related to the hiring freeze.
    In Fort Knox, Kentucky, garrison commander Col. Stephen Aiton sent a memo on February 17 immediately suspending new enrollment in the childcare program. He also announced that hourly and part-day services would be eliminated at the end of the month “until further notice.” Those part-day services includes preschool.
    Aiton explained that “due to the federal hiring freeze” the facility was “prevented from bringing on new caregivers” to replace those that are leaving. The freeze is making it a challenge to provide “quality childcare,” Alton wrote.
    Similarly, the Army garrison in Wiesbaden, Germany announced that it was suspending all part-day programs. Col. Todd Fish said the suspension was “a result of staff shortage due to the federal hiring freeze.”
    A Department of Defense memo implementing the hiring freeze exempted certain classes of civilian workers, including “child care to the children of military personnel.” But another memo from the Army required special permission from the service secretary before filing the positions. This has created an additional layer of bureaucracy in an already cumbersome hiring system, apparently creating shortages.
    UPDATE (2/22): A military spouse from Germany speaks out:

But remember guys hes for the people.....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

How do we have such a high military budget and yet this happens?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Right....

/10char
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Trump not realizing how the things he write work.

Trump, got it don't worry. Tomorrow you'll be praising him!

10+ Year Old Account
    Troops and their families are not tanks that sit to rot or planes that can't fly. The majority of our military budget is corporate and state welfare.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    “all men and women in uniform will have the supplies, support, equipment, training, services, medical care, and resources they need to get the job done incredibly well and perfectly"

Unless their children are also being shipped off to war, then this still stands.

Not advocating for this, just saying that if you take the quote literally, this decision doesn't make a soldier unable to perform their duty to the military.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Pro's and Con's happen during hiring freeze, more news at 11.

I know it's not a popular thing to say, but they'll have to take their kids to a civilian day cares. It's great when you can offer it, sometimes things get cut or suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    “all men and women in uniform will have the supplies, support, equipment, training, services, medical care, and resources they need to get the job done incredibly well and perfectly"

Unless their children are also being shipped off to war, then this still stands.

Not advocating for this, just saying that if you take the quote literally, this decision doesn't make a soldier unable to perform their duty to the military.
    You realize that having there children taken care of fallows under both bolded words right? Kinda hard for a soldier to perform there duty if they got to worry about how there kid will be taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Trump not realizing how the things he write work.
    Yeah, seems to me this is an unforseen consequence of the hiring freeze. The question is will he/his staff notice this is occurring and ammend the hiring freeze to accomodate these programs or will they cast a blind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Pro's and Con's happen during hiring freeze, more news at 11.
    Ya still waiting on them pro's you people keep talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    Yeah, seems to me this is an unforseen consequence of the hiring freeze. The question is will he/his staff notice this is occurring and ammend the hiring freeze to accomodate these programs or will they cast a blind eye.

Its Trump, don't count on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You realize that having there children taken care of fallows under both bolded words right? Kinda hard for a soldier to perform there duty if they got to worry about how there kid will be taken care of.
    Im only speaking from the mind of a heartless soul. So keep that in mind. I don't agree with what im about to say. But this is the way some think.

Services and resources for the person in uniform to perform their duty. Those could mean things the soldier themselve need, not those who depend on them. Services, such as medical care. Resources such as education.

Child care doesn't kill bad guys. And as for their emotions and concerns about their children. That means nothing to the person telling you who to shoot. They expect you to be "hardened" and able to focus on the current task at hand.

It is very cold hearted, but so is war.

Im only speaking from the mind of a heartless soul. So keep that in mind. I don't agree with what im about to say. But this is the way some think.
    And sadly our government is some of those people who think that way. (Some) Trump fans bitch about Obama not doing enough for our military and in the same breath are ok with Trump fucking our military over.

Its fucken sad really.

10+ Year Old Account
    And sadly our government is some of those people who think that way. (Some) Trump fans bitch about Obama not doing enough for our military and in the same breath are ok with Trump fucking our military over.

Its fucken sad really.
    I totally agree.

I feel if you are willing to sign up to put your life on the line for our country, you and you immediate family deserve as much compensation as possible. And child care definitely is part of that.

Because people are real, and actually have other concerns than the military, even when in service.

I totally agree.

I feel if you are willing to sign up to put your life on the line for our country, you and you immediate family deserve as much compensation as possible. And child care definitely is part of that.

Because people are real, and actually have other concerns than the military, even when in service.
    Personally I feel the same way, but IMO that counts even if you decide to be a cop or fire fighter.

But that's me.

he has to pay for those immigration and Muslim detention camps somehow.

He's also all set to order another 600 military jets!

Services and resources for the person in uniform to perform their duty. Those could mean things the soldier themselve need, not those who depend on them. Services, such as medical care. Resources such as education.

Child care doesn't kill bad guys. And as for their emotions and concerns about their children. That means nothing to the person telling you who to shoot. They expect you to be "hardened" and able to focus on the current task at hand.

It is very cold hearted, but so is war.
    If you want people to sign up to defend lives, including their own, you need to offer them the ability to live a life that is worth defending, which for alot of people, is a life with children. You don't need a heart in order to offer someone something that they think is worth risking their lives for.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-02-22 at 08:06 PM.

Ya still waiting on them pro's you people keep talking about.
    The pro is you stop letting people spend a bunch of government money until you assess the situation and see what we need.

That's the thing about government, it has no problem spending money that isn't theirs.