Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Thats the problem kiddo, they will.

Here I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't see it as a problem. I feel our military is already inflated too much. It could use some trimming.

The right way though. Not in a way like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    What pros does this hiring freeze have? He is making it harder for the next generation of federal workers.
    You understand it's temporary, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

You didn't answer the question though.

What are the pros?

The never-ending chant of the trump supporter.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Yeah but Trump was suppose to be the support the military guy, because Obama supposedly hated the military.

So far this 1 policy has hurt troops in 2 ways. 1 by hampering the VA and now this.
    Obama didn't hate the military, he just hated using them. If he hated them, he would not have allowed the Middle East to burn for years; he would have put them to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    “all men and women in uniform will have the supplies, support, equipment, training, services, medical care, and resources they need to get the job done incredibly well and perfectly"

Unless their children are also being shipped off to war, then this still stands.

Not advocating for this, just saying that if you take the quote literally, this decision doesn't make a soldier unable to perform their duty to the military.
    Last I checked, ensuring that your family is provided for through services and resources such as this is a rather important part of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Oh i guess then they suspended production of those F35's and that 12 billion dollar carrier and those missiles....till they can assess the situation.....and....oh wait....nope just some daycare, vet support and stuff for poor people.

Guess those programs had to fill out forms to get an exemption too right?
    Shitty comparison, buying a equipment vs a temporary hiring freeze is not the same thing lol. If our vets are poor then I guess we need to pay them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    “all men and women in uniform will have the supplies, support, equipment, training, services, medical care, and resources they need to get the job done incredibly well and perfectly"

Unless their children are also being shipped off to war, then this still stands.

Not advocating for this, just saying that if you take the quote literally, this decision doesn't make a soldier unable to perform their duty to the military.
    Pretty sure that providing services for military personnels' families falls under the "support" category.

Deleted
    Why do they even have childcare anyway? Not saying they shouldn't, I'm just curious why they had it in the first place, they get a salary don't they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Why do they even have childcare anyway? Not saying they shouldn't, I'm just curious why they had it in the first place, they get a salary don't they?
    Military salary isn't exactly 6 digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    The never-ending chant of the trump supporter.
    Really? Are the Trump supporters in the street chanting, "It's only temporary" I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    You don't make a whole lot in service. You don't really need it and end up having plenty of extra money due to so many services being provided freely and cheaply (even more so if you take advantage, stay at the barracks and eat for free at the hall, which is actually pretty good imo), but childcare is expensive. Losing that resource is a pretty big blow to a lot of people, adding a fair amount of stress and definitely makes the campaign promise untrue.

Most people I know from the military knew Trump is a lying shithead already though and didn't expect any differently. He talks shit about POW's, obviously has no respect for individual lives. This is just par for the course, no surprise coming from Trump, am definitely not a fan of this recent trend of presidents who have never served at all.
    I'm fully aware of how little is made, I served my 6 years and was making a whopping $1400 a month When I got out. I got the standard entry level job making 32K a year, but this was in Washington DC. I don't think there was anyway I could have stayed in DC and tried to raise a kid if I needed child care until a few years later. Ft Knox on the other hand is a much cheaper area to live in and their child care service is about quarter of that of the DC area, which is pretty high

I'm no Trump fan, but I think it's still a little early to say he won't do good for the military. This is an unfortunate side effect of addressing a different problem. I'm sure we would all prefer to have avoided this, but shit happens.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-02-22 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Obama didn't hate the military, he just hated using them. If he hated them, he would not have allowed the Middle East to burn for years; he would have put them to work.
    That would be why I used the word supposedly :P

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    How do we have such a high military budget and yet this happens?
    Because we keep buying up tanks even though we have a surplus of a few hundred that have never seen anything other then the shop floor in Ohio and the desert sands they are parked on in Reno. We keep making them so some factory can stay in business and we can pay people to make things we don't need/want. Meanwhile we shit on everybody actually in the military. Of course as a nation we have a never ending history of treating our military like shit all the way back to the revolutionary war.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Military salary isn't exactly 6 digits.
    A lot of jobs aren't, but they don't have childcare included.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of jobs aren't, but they don't have childcare included.
    Yes, and those other low paying jobs often struggle to find affordable daycare. In Canada (at least when I lived there, haven't checked in the past 5~ years) daycare is straight up subsidized to help lower income families.

Als, those other jobs are a little less dangerous than military. It's only fitting they get better benefits.

Really? Are the Trump supporters in the street chanting, "It's only temporary" I had no idea.
    Yes, I was, of course, being absolutely literal about it being a chant...
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Pretty sure that providing services for military personnels' families falls under the "support" category.
    Falls under, but not exclusively limites to.

Think like a slick trickster, or a spin doctor.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The salaries are poor relative to the skill-sets and risk involved for typical soldiers. The benefits are many and hard to quantify monetarily, but it's not really a job that lends itself well to a straight compensation-for-service model. You could construct it that way, but a quick look at what it costs to hire private soldiers reveals that it'd cost a lot out of pocket. Realistically, it's better to offer current soldiers and veterans a array of benefits that gives them some measure of security than it is to say, "well, you can have $150K/year, but if you get shot and die or take an IED and can't walk, tough shit for you and your family".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The salaries are poor relative to the skill-sets and risk involved for typical soldiers. The benefits are many and hard to quantify monetarily, but it's not really a job that lends itself well to a straight compensation-for-service model. You could construct it that way, but a quick look at what it costs to hire private soldiers reveals that it'd cost a lot out of pocket. Realistically, it's better to offer current soldiers and veterans a array of benefits that gives them some measure of security than it is to say, "well, you can have $150K/year, but if you get shot and die or take an IED and can't walk, tough shit for you and your family".

What skill sets are required for being a grunt that they don't train you for?