Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Yeah, Nintendo has long been a pioneer and don't get credit where due at just how much the other two have taken their innovations to implement and become standards across the board.

NES pretty much saved video games as we know them after the crash.
    SNES pushed technical boundaries for the most part, but also introduced shoulder buttons. Introduced addon to allow handheld play on TV.
    N64 brought introduced the thumb joystick and trigger on the controller and increased buttons to 9 plus joystick plus directional pad. Introduced rumble pack.
    GameCube [introduced the dual joystick on a controller, added additional shoulder buttons] < incorrect. Continued handheld play on TV.
    Wii introduced motion controllers, of course.
    Wii U was a miss on innovation, basically a good idea that landed a bit too late and a bit off the mark with a tablet connection.

So we've got:
    Shoulder buttons adopted as standard.
    Joysticks and directional pads together on controllers are standard.
    Haptic feedback for vibration is pretty standard now.
    Motion controls have become standard, if underutilized, and are a major factor in VR at the moment.
    Vita TV was a modern iteration on the Super GameBoy and Advance Player on GameCube, which are all stepping stones towards what Switch is doing.

Switch is taking haptic feedback to a new level with the variations it's supposed to give you a sensation of. This could be an iterated on later with others. The tv to handheld will likely become a standard expectation as tablets become more powerful in the future.

Now this isn't to say every one of these was 100% a Nintendo first and Nintendo exclusively, but Nintendo certain brought most of these to the forefront of attention and made them common enough to become standard expectations.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-02-21 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Marked incorrect point noted by Kazela

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Yeah, Nintendo has long been a pioneer and don't get credit where due at just how much the other two have taken their innovations to implement and become standards across the board.

NES pretty much saved video games as we know them after the crash.
    SNES pushed technical boundaries for the most part, but also introduced shoulder buttons. Introduced addon to allow handheld play on TV.
    N64 brought introduced the thumb joystick and trigger on the controller and increased buttons to 9 plus joystick plus directional pad. Introduced rumble pack.
    GameCube introduced the dual joystick on a controller, added additional shoulder buttons. Continued handheld play on TV.
    Wii introduced motion controllers, of course.
    Wii U was a miss on innovation, basically a good idea that landed a bit too late and a bit off the mark with a tablet connection.

So we've got:
    Shoulder buttons adopted as standard.
    Joystricks and directional pads together on controllers are standard.
    Haptic feedback for vibration is pretty standard now.
    Motion controls have become standard, if underutilized, and are a major factor in VR at the moment.
    Vita TV was a modern iteration on the Super GameBoy and Advance Player on GameCube, which are all stepping stones towards what Switch is doing.

Switch is taking haptic feedback to a new level with the variations it's supposed to give you a sensation of. This could be an iterated on later with others. The tv to handheld will likely become a standard expectation as tablets become more powerful in the future.

Now this isn't to say every one of these was 100% a Nintendo first and Nintendo exclusively, but Nintendo certain brought most of these to the forefront of attention and made them common enough to become standard expectations.
    Dualshock came to market first in regards to dual analog sticks on a controller. 3-4 years ahead of the GameCube.

That said, there's no denying the Dualshock was the evolution of the SNES controller.

I don't know if the switch will do well like the wii and 3ds or flop like the wii u, but I can appreciate them taking risksnand not just making the same system but with better hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Dualshock came to market first in regards to dual analog sticks on a controller. 3-4 years ahead of the GameCube.

That said, there's no denying the Dualshock was the evolution of the SNES controller.
    Good catch, I figured there was one I would have out of order there.

I actually forgot about the Dualshock for Playstation. I always had the joystick-less Playstation controller and didn't get fancy til PS2.

It also added the dual shoulder buttons before Nintendo did.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-02-21 at 07:42 PM.

Good catch, I figured there was one I would have out of order there.

I actually forgot about the Dualshock for Playstation. I always had the joystick-less Playstation controller and didn't get fancy til PS2.

It also added the dual shoulder buttons before Nintendo did.
    No biggie. I just remember being jealous of the Dualshocks vs the N64 controller simply due to the analog sticks not wearing out after 3 months of use...at one point my dad thought I was intentionally breaking the controllers until I showed him different ones in various stages of analog stick wear.

Meanwhile friends with Playstations had to buy a new controller maybe once a year at worst.

Hell I don't think I ever had to replace a NES or SNES controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    No biggie. I just remember being jealous of the Dualshocks vs the N64 controller simply due to the analog sticks not wearing out after 3 months of use...at one point my dad thought I was intentionally breaking the controllers until I showed him different ones in various stages of analog stick wear.

Meanwhile friends with Playstations had to buy a new controller maybe once a year at worst.

Hell I don't think I ever had to replace a NES or SNES controller.
    Um....I... still have my original N64 controllers and they're all in great shape. BE JEALOUS!

Um....I... still have my original N64 controllers and they're all in great shape. BE JEALOUS!
    not a mario party fan?

Definitely, because I was wearing those things out every 3ish months, as I mentioned there...lol. Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark being the primary culprits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I don't know if the switch will do well like the wii and 3ds or flop like the wii u, but I can appreciate them taking risksnand not just making the same system but with better hardware.
    Honestly the WIIU would have done FAR FAR better if it was not called the WIIU. So many thought it was an add-on and not a new device it is scary

It's not ever going to happen. The switch is no more powerful than the WiiU which is on par with the ps3 and they are dropping the ps3 support for the game. The switch can't handle it, nor can it handle any other popular games with multiplayer like battlefront. Xbox will never happen because microsoft for whatever reason have tiny dicks and try and fuck with sony to compensate for it.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly the WIIU would have done FAR FAR better if it was not called the WIIU. So many thought it was an add-on and not a new device it is scary
    It also unfortunately has a pitifully small library compared to its competition. Granted, much more of that is exclusive.

Given Nintendos history with censoring questionable content, I wonder if they'd just put a Lock on Balmung