Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am good with 80, anything past that I will be a burden on my children.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It's not so much that they can't afford it as there are no stores nearby for them to purchase it from. Food deserts can be pretty bad in certain areas.
    Which is not something normal either. I live in a freaking frozen wasteland. Why can i still buy Bananas for 60 cent a pound? It sure as hell aint growing here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Any from a Latin American country besides Chile? China? What about the US is unique among all those countries mentioned?
    It has one of the highest GDP per Capita...while all the countries you mention dont even have 1/4 of it lol. Thats why USA is on the list. As for your question, i think its simple. If the Average is only 80, it means most people dont even reach that, because some reach way beyond 90s and some in their 100s. You also contradict facts, living older also means you have a longer productive life, because you stay healthy longer. Someone dying 70 is usually pretty sick early in their life. Someone that dies at a 100 probably retired in his 70s in some case even later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    It will once immigration will be corected and contraception will be wildly used. Negative natality countries should worry more about life expacancy. For US it's better for people to die faster, after their retire.
    Ye, to most that is a negative thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I am good with 80, anything past that I will be a burden on my children.
    Retirement funds?

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I think the issue is that people do not like being told what to do (diet/exercise wise), they would rather take a pill.
    There's definitely a lot of that. The ''don't tell me what to do!!'' attitude is present everywhere, but seems especially prevalent in the US. It might be another factor contributing to early deaths; no one likes being told the simple truth that they would get less fat if they stopped eating junk and actually exercised more than once every two weeks. I know I hated it before a friend of mine dragged me to the gym kicking and screaming.

Doesn't help that a lot of people assume fast food and high-fat/calorie products are cheaper. Which might be true in places (especially food deserts) but certainly isn't everywhere. I saw an appreciable decrease in my weekly food bill when I started to replace chips, white bread and cheese with brocoli, bananas and oranges and stopped drinking soft drinks in favor of water. The former especially is cheap, very easy to prepare, and pretty damn good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Can I ask the question why we want people living past 90 on average? Can we not only talk about the cost of supporting these people on extended social security, but also health care. I don't know too many 80 year olds dying who want 10 more years. I'd gladly take 75 years in the US against 80 in Chile. But as other have pointed out, demographics matter. Notice any African Countries on that list? Any from a Latin American country besides Chile? China? What about the US is unique among all those countries mentioned?
    Retirement age will be increased, obviously.

but but its obamacare's fault.......

has nothing to do with us being unhealthy....obamacare is the reason for all our problems in healthcare!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Life expectancy to break 90 barrier by 2030
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39040146

Everybody happy the conservatives and alt-right are killing the national healthcare plan?
    Roflmao that's not national healthcare hahah

Can I ask the question why we want people living past 90 on average? Can we not only talk about the cost of supporting these people on extended social security, but also health care. I don't know too many 80 year olds dying who want 10 more years. I'd gladly take 75 years in the US against 80 in Chile. But as other have pointed out, demographics matter. Notice any African Countries on that list? Any from a Latin American country besides Chile? China? What about the US is unique among all those countries mentioned?
    They did 35 countries. Mostly in Europe with Chile, US, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, and Japan in there as well.

The US only beats eastern Europe and Mexico.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Alcoholism?
    Well then Germany and Finland are fucked.

its pure non affordable. broccoli on sale for 99 cents a pound is a joke. not only is it usually not on sale, but it will take an extremely high number of pounds of broccoli for a low income person to reach the 2000 calories they need every day. $20 dollars a day on vegetables for somebody earning min wage or welfare? lol.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    its pure non affordable. broccoli on sale for 99 cents a pound is a joke. not only is it usually not on sale, but it will take an extremely high number of pounds of broccoli for a low income person to reach the 2000 calories they need every day. $20 dollars a day on vegetables for somebody earning min wage or welfare? lol.
    How the fuck do you eat $20 of vegetables in a day? Tell your mom to stop doing your groceries plz.

"And it is the first country that has stopped growing taller, which shows something about early life nutrition."
    So fast food?

to be honest I don't think I want to live to 80+ anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    to be honest I don't think I want to live to 80+ anyway
    Why not? My grand parents seemed to be doing fine? They had lots of free time to travel around and keep their kids kids during holidays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Need more regulation. Time for the government to get more involved.

Yeah, the time it takes to prepare that meal is not free either. Working two minimum-wage (or lower) jobs doesn't leave much time for meal prep with your raw broccoli.

Food deserts are definitely a real thing. This is a good start if people are interested: http://americannutritionassociation....s-food-deserts

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Your diet is only slightly worse then Canada and UK. The real difference is healthcare at this point. Someone being told multiple times by their doctor and pointed toward help eventually helps some. It happens all the time here, we have almost just as many obese, they still live longer or get better more often, because they got access to help they need.
    Keep in mind that the actual longevity differences aren't really very much either though. We're looking at ~2 years, which is enough to matter when thinking about it from an epidemiological perspective, but is much less striking than what people tend to think of. The most recent OECD data shows ~35% obesity for the US and ~25% for Canada - this is a pretty decent sized difference! Alone, this isn't sufficient to cover the full two year difference and there are undoubtedly other mediating factors (race is another relevant one), but it's important to consider.

Anyway, I don't disagree with your core point anyway. I'm board with universal basic healthcare. I just think people are far too excited about it and many political hacks (like OP) bandy about numbers that they don't know shit about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    I def think you need to ban corn syrup. Processed sugar is already bad enough. Im not sure why your country allow people to substitute the substitute with literal waste. Its like heroine being cut with cement powder.
    We could start with at least not subsidizing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Need more regulation. Time for the government to get more involved.
    That's what they do in Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    We could start with at least not subsidizing it...
    Whichever party suggests that will forever lose the rust belt.

Frozen broccoli is pretty typically ~$1/pound. The broccoli shouldn't be the primary caloric source in a meal, of course, it's where decent nutritional value comes from. Caloric filler can come in the form of rice, potatoes, or other starch. Using chicken thighs, pork, or eggs give a meal body, protein, and fat. Altogether, this is cheap, easy, and healthy.

If people followed the basic dinner plan of making something starchy, something green, and something meaty, and not overeating it, nutrition would be basically fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    You know as a guy right now I'm a bit more concerned of why men have generally much lower life expectancy.
    Some combination of biology, stressors such as total number of hours worked, and an increased likelihood of young fatalities from workplace accidents and murders.