Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    What skill sets are required for being a grunt that they don't train you for?
    Depends on the position. There are all sorts of engineering, medical, and other highly skilled positions. These generally don't pay very well relative to comparable civilian positions and carry more risk and inconvenience due to deployment. They get fantastic benefits though, so it's kind of a wash. Good choice for people that fit the lifestyle well.

If you're thinking strictly of infantry and other combat rolls, the training is there, but it's still a skill set. Someone can't just walk in off the street and do it without extensive training (or getting themselves kilt).

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Depends on the position. There are all sorts of engineering, medical, and other highly skilled positions.

If you're thinking strictly of infantry and other combat rolls, the training is there, but it's still a skill set. Someone can't just walk in off the street and do it without extensive training (or getting themselves kilt).
    All provided for if you are going for that position.

I went to apply to the national guard at one time. They were going to provide all the schooling required to become a wheel or tracked mechanic.

All provided for if you are going for that position.

I went to apply to the national guard at one time. They were going to provide all the schooling required to become a wheel or tracked mechanic.
    This isn't exactly true (people get degrees then join the military; I have friends with Ph.D.'s in biomedical research in the Army), but that point aside, I'm not really sure what your point is. Yeah, it's a career path where you commit your time, get training, then get pay that's lower than what your skills/risk would command on the market, but with significantly better benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't exactly true (people get degrees then join the military; I have friends with Ph.D.'s in biomedical research in the Army), but that point aside, I'm not really sure what your point is. Yeah, it's a career path where you commit your time, get training, then get pay that's lower than what your skills/risk would command on the market, but with significantly better benefits.

You do know what we are talking about people underpaid it's the average grunts not the specialized forces right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Trump, got it don't worry. Tomorrow you'll be praising him!
    Yup. Tomorrow he'll just make another promise.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If a Soldier has to leave to go pick up a child after school because they can't get daycare, and then leave work early because they have no one to watch the child, it's likely during duty hours, which can effect any training that was supposed to happen that day.
    As mentioned, Im with you. Im only speaking from the prospective of a douche bag.

Ever had a boss who won't let you leave work to pick up you kid? Ive seen it.

Someone may say, "you are here to do what I tell you, not live your private life on my time. You signed up, now jump when I say jump".
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

What skill sets are required for being a grunt that they don't train you for?
    You have no idea of the complexity involved in being a "grunt" or the amount of intelligence, bravery, and ingenuity required.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Military isn't about this. They have to support Soldiers who have families, and they don't tell them such things. Denying them basic On-Post facilities - which daycares are - isn't supporting them.
    Agreed. But what it may become is a different story.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You have no idea of the complexity involved in being a "grunt" or the amount of intelligence, bravery, and ingenuity required.

Good thing those requirement are listed in a place anyone can find them

http://todaysmilitary.com/joining/entrance-requirements

As for intelligence, nothing more than a GED or diploma.

Over the course of a couple weeks? Seems like pretty obvious bullshit. I'm unsurprised to see a government institution claiming that they couldn't possibly make do with even one person less though. This reeks of a politically motivated move explicitly intended to make service members feel pain in order to apply political pressure.
    The wife worked for a Early Learning Center (a fancy day care) and the state law requires 1 adult per every 10 kids, so while they may be able to easily get by with 1 or 2 less people, State laws may be part of the issue.

It does seem odd that inside of 1 month's time, Ft Knox is losing so many people that they have to suspend new kids and close down services after 28 Feb. Seems like really poor planning to me.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-02-22 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Military salary isn't exactly 6 digits.
    Military families are criminally underpaid. My dad was an airforce firefighter in the 90's and our family was living off of poverty level income.

Troops barely see any of the money in that bloated military budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnofiend View Post
    Military families are criminally underpaid. My dad was an airforce firefighter in the 90's and our family was living off of poverty level income.

Troops barely see any of the money in that bloated military budget.

A e-2 pilot in the 90's was making at least 800 a month which ends up being about 9,600 a year

In 1990 the poverty lvl was at 6,280. So your statement is false.(not the bloated part)

links if you want to confirm yourself.
    http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...pay-rates.html
    https://aspe.hhs.gov/prior-hhs-pover...ter-references

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh, he said his family, meaning more than one, which does affect those numbers.

If it was a 4 person family you would be right. for 4 people it was 12,700

Mind you though. I'm also only going with the second lowest rank in the air force with under 2 years served.

A e-2 pilot in the 90's was making at least 800 a month which ends up being about 9,600 a year

In 1990 the poverty lvl was at 6,280. So your statement is false.(not the bloated part)

links if you want to confirm yourself.
    http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...pay-rates.html
    https://aspe.hhs.gov/prior-hhs-pover...ter-references
    I'll agree and disagree. A lot depends on where you were station. Being in DC that pay was terrible if you didn't get on post housing, because BAQ wasn't really enough for the area. If it a more rural area, it was a decent little wage with BAQ and seperate rations factored in. One could and probably will argue, it's low pay for dangerous work, though I thought all fire fighters were poorly paid

Here's the link to that, which was included in yours - https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/stat...html#table3.e8
    According to this the poverty line for our family when I was born would have been around 12k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnofiend View Post
    According to this the poverty line for our family when I was born would have been around 12k.

When did your father join the air force?

cant say i have much sympathy since they got what they voted for.

Stop worrying guys, this is all fake news!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Good thing those requirement are listed in a place anyone can find them

http://todaysmilitary.com/joining/entrance-requirements

As for intelligence, nothing more than a GED or diploma.
    You don't think theres a degree of difficulty in learning how to be a proper infantryman?

Teamwork, coordination, proper procedures and protocols, ethics, ROE's, how to deal with intense stress...etc...etc.

So I guess you think being a SWAT member is easy? Much of the training is the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You don't think theres a degree of difficulty in learning how to be a proper infantryman?

Teamwork, coordination, proper procedures and protocols, ethics, ROE's, how to deal with intense stress...etc...etc.

So I guess you think being a SWAT member is easy? Much of the training is the same.

It's not as hard as you make it sound. Most of the stuff you mention is taught to them.

Sorry I don't think soldiers are the supermen you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Kind of hard to do your job well when you have to stay home with the kids because you couldn't find someone else to take care of them.

It's kind of hard to feel bad about it when these same people tell you tough luck get a better job when you say you have problems.