Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Why should non-Californians pay for this project? If California is the 8th largest economy, were they to secede, why do they get so much federal aid?
    Why shouldn't California get federal money when the state is the largest contributor?

Also, California getting some of its money back≠other states paying for California.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    IDK, why do Texans have to paid for all the other poor Republican states that get millions upon millions each year in aid?
    Trains are aid? Do you intend to eat the train, or live in it?

Also, your point is basically this: It's ok for the richest state to get federal funds, because the poorest states do also. GG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Why shouldn't California get federal money when the state is the largest contributor?

Also, California getting some of its money back≠other states paying for California.
    Because federal money should be spent on things that benefit everyone, not just Californians. This is a clear case of a huge pork project. Let me guess, it's in Pelosi's district?

Also, I'm not saying this is the only case of pork spending there is. I'm saying all pork barrel spending is bullshit, even that which I personally benefit from.

Because federal money should be spent on things that benefit everyone, not just Californians. This is a clear case of a huge pork project. Let me guess, it's in Pelosi's district?
    So, it's ok for the shit hole states that republicans ran into the ground to get a bunch of federal funding, but it's not ok for the biggest contributor to federal funding to get some of that money back?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Sadly, I'm 97.2362% confident it's payback or a middle finger gesture to Cali Democrats
    Which is petty and pathetic, i don't remember the democrats doin something like that against texas when they were up in arms and threatened to leave.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Trains are aid? Do you intend to eat the train, or live in it?

Also, your point is basically this: It's ok for the richest state to get federal funds, because the poorest states do also. GG.
    1. Federal aid also includes Highway and transportation money. But it's ok, I didn't expect you to put any thought into your post, or try to not be disingenuous for once.

2. That's not remotely my point, stuff your strawman back into your closet.

Also, I'm not saying this is the only case of pork spending there is. I'm saying all pork barrel spending is bullshit, even that which I personally benefit from.
    It's like you don't realize a lot of our goods are transported on roads.

California contributes more than it receives. Not sure what the issue here is.

So, it's ok for the shit hole states that republicans ran into the ground to get a bunch of federal funding, but it's not ok for the biggest contributor to federal funding to get some of that money back?
    Nice selective quote that omits my comments that refute your question. GG...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    1. Federal aid also includes Highway and transportation money. But it's ok, I didn't expect you to put any thought into your post, or try to not be disingenuous for once.

2. That's not remotely my point, stuff your strawman back into your closet.
    Then make your case better. /shrug

weather there is genuine concern for the costs or not this isn't that big of deal from what I see. well, save for the fact I don't trust Trump in the slightest.

Nice selective quote that omits my comments that refute your question. GG...
    Infrastructure spending isn't pork.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    It's like you don't realize a lot of our goods are transported on roads.

California contributes more than it receives. Not sure what the issue here is.
    The thread is about a passenger train, guy. Let's stay on topic.

Roads connect the states. This train doesn't leave the state. The majority of all road money is handled locally. The federal highway fund comes and goes, as politics swing.

Almost none of our infrastructure is handled federally. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Probably wanna hand out the contract to particular friends of the new administration as opposed to friends of the old one. Standard corruption in place, nothing new here.
    But but, what about draining the swamp??

I STILL BELIEVE! /rocks back and forth while foaming at the mouth like a madman

(sarcasm)
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

Infrastructure spending isn't pork.
    It's like you have no idea that most infrastructure, nearly all of it, is handled outside the federal government. Weird.

Why should non-Californians pay for this project? If California is the 8th largest economy, were they to secede, why do they get so much federal aid?
    The funding comes from the Highway Trust Fund which is funded through 18.4 cent/gallon gasoline and 24.4 cent/gallon diesel fuel plus general funding by the federal government. Most states received about 100 - 120% of what they put into the Fund (including CA). There are outliers, such as Montana, North & South Dakota, Hawaii, West Virginia and Vermont that received between 200% - 300% for every dollar that they contribute. Then there is Alaska which averages 500% of every dollar that they contribute.

BTW, CA is fifth largest now.

Also, the subject of the post and the link do not match. The linked article is about the high speed rail project which is still coming along. The delayed funding is to convert an “EXISTING” commuter train line between San Francisco to San Jose from diesel to electric. CA is putting up 1.3 billion and the Fed was supposed to provide a 647 million grant for the conversion project.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-02-23 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was previously approved. But now the Administration and their congressional allies want to play politics with infrastructure projects. That seems to be the one constant from Conservative politics. The need to punish people. Punish women for getting pregnant. Punish LGBT people for being born that way. Now they want to punish people based on what state or city they live in.

Just wait until the next Highway bill comes around. Those used to pass easily. Now it'll playing politics with people's quality of life and basic necessities.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Should be fine... I mean California is self-reliant enough to be its own country right? #Calexit

Actually they can

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/20...spending-trump

California pays about 13 percent of all federal taxes and receives about 11 percent of federal expenditures. It's one of 11 states with a deficit between what it pays the feds and what it gets back

An accumulation of data from various sources shows that California routinely pays more in federal taxes than it receives in federal spending. A 2015 study by the New York state comptroller found that in 2013 Californians paid $9,086 per capita in federal taxes and received $9,040 per capita in federal spending—or about 99 cents of spending for every tax dollar. (This is an improvement: The Tax Foundation found that California received about 78 cents in spending for every tax dollar in 2005, and Census and IRS data showed the state getting back 87 cents on the dollar in 2010.) In comparison, the average state gets about $1.29 in federal money for every dollar it

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The funding comes from the Highway Trust Fund which is funded through 18.4 cent/gallon gasoline and 24.4 cent/gallon diesel fuel plus general funding by the federal government. Most states received about 100 - 120% of what they put into the Fund (including CA). There are outliers, such as Montana, North & South Dakota, Hawaii, West Virginia and Vermont that received between 200% - 300% for every dollar that they contribute. Then there is Alaska which averages 500% of every dollar that they contribute.

BTW, CA is fifth largest now.
    So, they are stealing highway money to use on light rail for the rich. Got it.

So, they are stealing highway money to use on light rail for the rich. Got it.
    No. Although the name is Highway Trust Fund, it includes a smaller account dedicated to Mass Transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    No. Although the name is Highway Trust Fund, it includes a smaller account dedicated to Mass Transit.
    How does light rail for wealthy Californians benefit someone in say, Utah? Someone in Utah can use the highways to travel to other places. This is not true of this expenditure.

Bottom line, good for Chao. She made a smart call, to put this pork to an end. I'm sure there is more to come.

How does light rail for wealthy Californians benefit someone in say, Utah? Someone in Utah can use the highways to travel to other places. This is not true of this expenditure.

Bottom line, good for Chao. She made a smart call, to put this pork to an end. I'm sure there is more to come.
    I don't think you understand. Each state put in a certain amount of money through gasoline/diesel tax into the fund. Most states (including CA) get roughly that amount back to fund their transportation projects. I listed the outlier states which do not include CA.

Actually, after more careful reading, all the FTA is saying, before they fund the grant, they want to see how much money the current Administration is planning to provide for the transportation in the Federal budget. It does delay the start of the project, but I do think CalTrain is crying wolf when they say the delay is going to cancel the project.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-02-23 at 01:00 AM.

Wealthy californians pay for, say, plumbing in Utah. Yeah, does not help californians one bit, but helps those red utah folk a bunch. It's actual expenditure. You can try to sugar coat it all you like, but that fancy avatar is not gonna carry you too far, tijuana-man.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"