Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Lower Canadian dollar hurts Canadian tourists. One Canadian dollar is now worth .76 cents.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    That's sort of mildly upsetting, but the states are pretty unattractive anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It's not easy being fat.
    I'm surprised the word fat went straight under Tennis' radar.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

We don't come up there and disparage your president, and there is a lot of materiel there, trust me.
    You are welcome to try. Have at it. We will probably find your attempts hilarious.

7+ Year Old Account
    This appears to be the result of the weaker Canadian dollar, which is currently trading around US$0.76. Since 2013, when the loonie was last at par, the number of Canadians traveling to the U.S. by car has fallen by 31.3 per cent to 31.8 million in 2016. However, the U.S. is still the top international destinations for Canadians, accounting for three-quarters of trips abroad.
    Ouch! What's hurting the Canadian economy so much that their loonie has weakened by that much? Missing you my neighbors to the north. Hope Canada fixes its economy soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Ouch! What's hurting the Canadian economy so much that their loonie has weakened by that much? Missing you my neighbors to the north. Hope Canada fixes its economy soon.
    Oil's fucked them up a bit.

As someone who lives in a relatively decent tourist town I can safely say this will not be a noticeable difference. I mean 250k total tourists? Even if all of them came to Charleston one year and then they all stopped the next year that's only a 5% dip in tourism. Otherwise known as a weak year of growth. Since 2010 the local airport has nearly doubled the number of people coming through from 2 to 3.7 mil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    "However, the U.S. is still the top international destinations for Canadians, accounting for three-quarters of trips abroad."

Not going to start panicking yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Nope.

One out of every 18 Americans is employed, either directly or indirectly, in a travel or tourism-related industry

Looks like the tourism industry is quite important!
    Your opinions aren't fact.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

As a Canadian I would appreciate it if tennisace stopped speaking on behalf of all Canadians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Your opinions aren't fact.
    It is true tourism is a significant part of the US economy (almost $1 trillion worth), but Canadians only provide about 2% of that ($22 billion). China adds 50% more tourism dollars than Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It is true tourism is a significant part of the US economy (almost $1 trillion worth), but Canadians only provide about 2% of that ($22 billion). China adds 50% more tourism dollars than Canada.
    They were just talking on KUSI that 2016 was record breaking year for tourism in CA. Tourism in San Diego alone generated 10.4 billion in 2016. I think San Diego is a distant third to LA and SF.

Stay up there, if you don't like how we manage our nation. Mind your own business, or don't expect to be welcome. We don't come up there and disparage your president, and there is a lot of materiel there, trust me.
    Imagine if America minded its own business...

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I can see why they wouldn't want to travel to "Realville", at least...

Americans saying this about Canadians... I've seen everything now.
    Agreed. The same could be said for British people too.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I'm going to spend about $500 on a new gaming PC, would it be worth going to Canada since for every four American dollars I can get five Canadian dollars? The Canadian dollar is worth 0.76 cents on the dollar.

I know people traveled from Britain to the US to buy electronics in the US when the US dollar was low.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Am I meant to be hurt by this?
    Not at all. I was agreeing with you.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm going to spend about $500 on a new gaming PC, would it be worth going to Canada since for every four American dollars I can get five Canadian dollars? The Canadian dollar is worth 0.76 cents on the dollar.

I know people traveled from Britain to the US to buy electronics in the US when the US dollar was low.
    Not unless you can get a round trip ticket under $100. And even that is just to break even. It's not even worth it from me and I live 5 hours driving from Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yes, if these dual citizenship people claim American citizenship we've been demanding they pay taxes, it's a good way to get rid of them.
    Actually the IRS has the habit in the last decade of demanding back taxes from people that got the American citizenship because one of their parents was an American, but never actually were physically in the US. Some of whom did not even know they had the dual citizenship or never used it.
    This resulted in people getting back taxes claims on earnings over which they already payed taxes in the country they actually live in. As far as I know the US is the only country in the world that does this.

I reckon the tourism trend will certainly take a hit from the new administration as well. While Obama was not appreciated within the US, he was well liked everywhere else. Not sure what the impact of a president that bans entire countries from entering will have, but I doubt it will be good for tourism.
    I expect that a major part of tourism in the US is tourists between states, and as such the international decline of tourists might not impact it much.

So you met 5 Canadians and decided to judge all of us because of that? ..
    Was enough for most of us to have you here on mmo to dislike canadians.
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Good. You guys stay on your side of the border.
    Time for a second wall. Taller than the mexican one, obviously, in case mounties horses can jump over it.

Stay up there, if you don't like how we manage our nation. Mind your own business, or don't expect to be welcome. We don't come up there and disparage your president, and there is a lot of materiel there, trust me.
    No one has ever disparaged the President of Canada, and no one ever will.

This appears to be the result of the weaker Canadian dollar, which is currently trading around US$0.76. Since 2013, when the loonie was last at par, the number of Canadians travelling to the U.S. by car has fallen by 31.3 per cent to 31.8 million in 2016.
    Worry about your own economy, TennisAce.