Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Returning Player - Questions + Looking To Be Recruited (AFF)

Hello there my fellow community, the name is Kyle, but my friends call me Fahey. I've decided to start this game up again, after a very long break or leave.

So I was hoping that all you ladies and gents out there, could take their time by answering a some questions. I'm also looking to be recruited (AFF) on NA shard and PVE only.

"Questions"

1: What are some good money making professions (Skills)?.
    2: Can Defiant and Guardians, be in the same guild?.
    3: Is F2P side worth it or should I upgrade soon as possible?.
    4: If F2P is worth it, when should I consider upgrading?.
    5: What would be an easy class/soul to play, I like all playstyles?.
    6: What would be a good level to stop at, to try out classes/souls, if I chose to do so? (No 65 or End Game)
    7: Is it worth taking my time to level, to experience the lore, zones, ETC?
    8: Guardian or Defiant? (NOTE) I might go Guardian, as I never really truly had one before.
    9: What are some good ways to make money, without professions (Skills)?
    10: Any tips or tricks for me?

Thanks to everyone, for taking their time in answering my questions, I very much appreciated it.

P.S Free Hugs for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd have been better off asking on the actual Rift Forum but i'll give you a few tips.

1: What are some good money making professions (Skills)?
    You can have three Professions 'active' plus fishing and survival, which you get anyway so five professions in total, usually you'd have one gathering prof like Mining or Foraging depending on which profs you pick, Mining would go with Armorsmith/Weaponsmith/Artificer

At end game, with new Planar recipes coming in Update 4.1 in 2 weeks time, you'll be able to craft BiS (Best In Slot) Helms for all callings so Armorsmithing (for Warrior and Cleric helms) and Outfitting (for Mage, Rogue and Primalist helms) will be very popular for a while, same with Artificer, new Cleric and Mage BiS wands are also coming in 4.1.

Runecrafting and Apothecary are probably the two better money spinners as everyone needs runes and potions so you have a few options there.

2: Can Defiant and Guardians, be in the same guild?
    Yes, on PvE shards (servers) only, on a PvP shard the separation is still there but on PvE shards you can be in the same Guild, can group up together, can do dungeons/raids/Instant Adventures together, all server chat channels are linked so you can also talk to any Defiant/Guardian from any shard in the chat channels.

3: Is F2P side worth it or should I upgrade soon as possible?
    You can level from 1 to 65 absolutely for free, no limits, no restrictions on zones, quests, raids, dungeons, warfronts, nothing.

After level 65 you will need to buy the current Expansion Pack Starfall Prophecy to access the new zones and reach level 70, you can play away for free up to level 65 and then decide if it's worth investing money.

You also will have an option to buy extra soul packs if you like the idea of been a Mage that can Tank or be a melee 'battle' Mage, or be a Warrior/Rogue that can heal, each of the four main callings, Cleric, Mage, Rogue and Warrior, have 11 souls, out of those 11 souls 8 are totally free and there's a fifth calling called a Primalist that you can buy but you have plenty of choices from the four main callings and eight free souls to make up any class you like.

4: If F2P is worth it, when should I consider upgrading?
    Same as previous answer, can play quite happily up to level 65 with no real restrictions, then decide if you want to invest, first choice is obviously the Expansion Pack. If you feel the need to invest further, this is probably your next best purchase.

5: What would be an easy class/soul to play, I like all playstyles?
    That's a fairly difficult question to answer as with such a varied combination of Souls and Builds the World is literally your oyster, take for example a Rogue, now you can be a 'traditional' staby staby stealth rogue (Assassin) or you can play the calling like a hunter from WoW complete with pets (Ranger0 or without a pet (Marksman), the Rogue can also heal (Paid for souls) or be a support class with Bard, that's just Rogue.

When you make your first char the game will offer you some 'pre-made' beginner builds to ease you into the game, it will allocate the points as you level up automatically, you can leave this build at anytime and make your own choices/builds.

6: What would be a good level to stop at, to try out classes/souls, if I chose to do so? (No 65 or End Game)
    At level 10 you will get an option to do one of Rift's better ideas called Instant Adventures which will put you into a Raid group of up to 20 players that you join and you literally do on the fly, fast, instant adventures and get ported around to different zones of the game and the game will auto mentor you up and down in level to match the zone so you could be a level 10 and suddenly find yourself a level 65 doing some zones.

If you want more of a challenge there's Intrepid Instant Adventures where you actually do some of the 20-man raids in Rift, same instance, same bosses so you get to experience a raid but at level 10.

7: Is it worth taking my time to level, to experience the lore, zones, ETC?
    As a new player i would definitely recommend taking your time, explore all zones, follow the story quests in each zone, there's also epic Cult Saga quests that last from level 6 up to level 50 and beyond.

8: Guardian or Defiant? (NOTE) I might go Guardian, as I never really truly had one before
    As Defiants and Guardians can now play/quest/group up/be in same Guild this falls to personal taste, as you've never played Guardian might be good to try it out, different starter zones, different quests, different stories.

9: What are some good ways to make money, without professions (Skills)?
    Collecting Artifacts as you level through zones might be a good way, some rare artifacts sell for hundreds, sometimes thousands of platinum so pick up any shinies you see and compare price history on the Auction House.

So, if it's TL-DR all you have to lose is the time taken to download Rift, jump in, play around a bit, not sure when you left but Rift has some of the best player housing system around in any MMO called Dimensions where you can literally build anything, you get introduced to them at level 7 so maybe you'll get hooked on them, enjoy.

Hello there Slipmat, first let me say "Thanks" for taking the time and answering my questions. I very much appreciated it.
    I would had posted this on the official forums, but it's required that you have a level 10. I was wondering something, do you still play Rift, and if so are you willing to AFF?.

Thanks again for taking the time out of you day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahey View Post
    Hello there Slipmat, first let me say "Thanks" for taking the time and answering my questions. I very much appreciated it.
    I would had posted this on the official forums, but it's required that you have a level 10. I was wondering something, do you still play Rift, and if so are you willing to AFF?.

Thanks again for taking the time out of you day.

Personally mate I'd advise not coming back. Game is going to crap at the moment. Barely any content, lack of quality or polished content and raiders are leaving in drones due to lack of raiding. No joke this is your 70 content right now

4 dungeons and 2 are just an upscale that take no effort
    Godawful dailies
    Fortress Sieges and LFR that even at peak time I've barely seen people doing
    Instanced Rifts which people only do for RNGments.

Figured I'd show you the other side of the coin. The game is a mess right now. People were expecting better quality when the game went back to B2P and it's even worse than their F2P quality. Every new piece of content introduced has had to be disabled for a period of time because it wasn't tested or ready and the devs have the audacity to blame the players for it.

If you wanna come back fair enough it's your decision but personally I cannot recommend a game that makes Warlords of Draenor look like a Game of the Year game to anyone. That includes the 1-65 experience. If you want a list of fairer B2P/F2P games feel free to PM me since this isn't the place for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    -snip
    Why? Afraid someone might actually tell him like it is here? God forbid someone tells him to stay away from Rift and it's not worth returning to.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-17 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Personally mate I'd advise not coming back. Game is going to crap at the moment. Barely any content, lack of quality or polished content and raiders are leaving in drones due to lack of raiding. No joke this is your 70 content right now

4 dungeons and 2 are just an upscale that take no effort
    Godawful dailies
    Fortress Sieges and LFR that even at peak time I've barely seen people doing
    Instanced Rifts which people only do for RNGments.

Figured I'd show you the other side of the coin. The game is a mess right now. People were expecting better quality when the game went back to B2P and it's even worse than their F2P quality. Every new piece of content introduced has had to be disabled for a period of time because it wasn't tested or ready and the devs have the audacity to blame the players for it.

If you wanna come back fair enough it's your decision but personally I cannot recommend a game that makes Warlords of Draenor look like a Game of the Year game to anyone. That includes the 1-65 experience. If you want a list of fairer B2P/F2P games feel free to PM me since this isn't the place for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? Afraid someone might actually tell him like it is here? God forbid someone tells him to stay away from Rift and it's not worth returning to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb
    Slipmat is basically a Trion shill. He blindly defends them despite their lack of quality in the game recently.

Let me put their most recent b2p expansion for you in a nutshell.

Content has had to be disabled multiple times due to lack of testing that the devs decided to blame on the players

There is an overall lack of content with no raids until March

F2P just isn't worth it. A lot of the decent raiding/pve souls are locked behind the paywall. Arbiter for mage for example is one of the best tanks in the game.

Basically their quality has taken a nosedive in the past 3 years. Feel free to come back if you want but personally I'd stay away from Rift mate. Much fairer F2P/B2P games out there.
    Hello there Eleccybubb, thanks for the info, I very much appreciated it. But to be honest I've already known most of the stuff you mentioned, but ATM I don't care for end game content.

As for other games, what would you suggest? (I can't send PMs yet)

P.S - I'm currently doing a trial run of TSW (The Secret World)

Hello there Eleccybubb, thanks for the info, I very much appreciated it. But to be honest I've already known most of the stuff you mentioned, but ATM I don't care for end game content.

As for other games, what would you suggest? (I can't send PMs yet)

P.S - I'm currently doing a trial run of TSW (The Secret World)

I'll send you the PMS. Also I was referring to the 1-65 content as well. Story for each zone is meh at best. Also the XP is trash. Better to just IA your way to 65. Also I'll happily maintain my stance. Slipmat does blindly defend Trion. He has been doing since this entire expansion launched and uses other games past failures from nearly 10 years ago to make Rift appear better. And yet he only claims he posts Rift news. Just go through his history and you will see him basically shrugging off any critique anyone posts here not just mine as game bashing pretty much.

So I'll repeat what I said. Feel free to try it that decision lies with you and nobody else. But my 2 cents is stay away from it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-17 at 02:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello there Eleccybubb, thanks for the info, I very much appreciated it.
    Now you see why i suggested posting on the actual Rift Forum

You will never get a fair debate about Rift here, i gave you totally accurate information with no bias or favortism so it's up to you to decide what to do with it, costs nothing to play up to level 65 and see for yourself, it's good to get varied "opinions" on the game but i wouldn't recommend it here, my opinion, anyone else's opinions are just that, opinions, you have the final say..

You will never get a fair debate about Rift here, i gave you totally accurate information with no bias or favortism so it's up to you to decide what to do with it, costs nothing to play up to level 65 and see for yourself, it's good to get varied "opinions" on the game but i wouldn't recommend it here, my opinion, anyone else's opinions are just that, opinions, you have the final say..
    Yeah because I didn't say it was upto him or anything did I? God forbid I told someone not to play the game but still said it's upto them.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

You will never get a fair debate about Rift here,
    i gave you totally accurate information with no bias or favortism so it's up to you to decide what to do with it, costs nothing to play up to level 65 and see for yourself, it's good to get varied "opinions" on the game but i wouldn't recommend it here, my opinion, anyone else's opinions are just that, opinions, you have the final say..

You mean the place they ban anyone that says anything bad about the game? Yeah I'm sure there is tons of fair debate there.

Is it worth returning? My personal opinion is no. I even uninstalled the game because I just can't bring myself to play this. If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have said hell yes. But now? No. But my opinion, Slipmat's opinion, Eleccybubb's opinion, and anyone else's means jack. For all we know, you could have shitloads of fun where someone else would be bored to tears. So really, that's completely up to you.

You want to return? Go right ahead. But I would make a "dummy" account where you log in, play through the first zone for the faction you choose (Silverwood or Freemarch), or until level 10 and start doing Instant or Intrepid Adventures. Then, you can make your decision on whether you think it is worth continuing (make a real account and do the Ascend-a-friend) and making any sort of purchase.

I personally will not give Trion another penny. I do not like the direction they went, and I will not support that direction. But other people like it, so *shrug*. Take the opinions of others into account, but if it pertains to fun, form your own. Especially when doing so comes at no initial cost (such as starting up Rift).

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Is it worth returning? My personal opinion is no. I even uninstalled the game because I just can't bring myself to play this. If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have said hell yes. But now? No. But my opinion, Slipmat's opinion, Eleccybubb's opinion, and anyone else's means jack. For all we know, you could have shitloads of fun where someone else would be bored to tears. So really, that's completely up to you.

You want to return? Go right ahead. But I would make a "dummy" account where you log in, play through the first zone for the faction you choose (Silverwood or Freemarch), or until level 10 and start doing Instant or Intrepid Adventures. Then, you can make your decision on whether you think it is worth continuing (make a real account and do the Ascend-a-friend) and making any sort of purchase.

I personally will not give Trion another penny. I do not like the direction they went, and I will not support that direction. But other people like it, so *shrug*. Take the opinions of others into account, but if it pertains to fun, form your own. Especially when doing so comes at no initial cost (such as starting up Rift).
    I actually agree. While I and others are entitled to an opinion what does matter at the end of the day is the OPs. I'll stick with my stance of try it but don't expect anything special but at the end of the day it's still my opinion. I wouldn't say anyone's opinion here means jack since it's a place to discuss and share opinions but I do get what you mean. I am a bit heated when it comes to Rift admittedly.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-17 at 05:58 PM.

I'll be honest with you too, I fairly recently decided to try to get back in to the game too. It was not worth it for me. Levelling through quests is painfully slow and the content is just boring. I would recommend FFXIV personally. Much better game overall and there is something there for everyone, whether it be casual content or end-game savage raids. The story is also great, which is lacking in most all MMOs IMO. Rift is just a sinking ship at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can all relax now, your concerns have been alleviated, he made an account on the Rift Forum and asked the same questions and got replies from people that are playing the game.

the game isn't active enough to enjoy anything in it it's buggy as hell and just about everything is locked behind dlc the game is in such a terrible state i would be shocked if it survives 2017

If it were Storm Legion again sure, nowadays? i wouldn't recommend it sadly.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can all relax now, your concerns have been alleviated, he made an account on the Rift Forum and asked the same questions and got replies from people that are playing the game.

Pretty sure YOU were the only one concerned about this.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The level of unwarranted smug in this post is disgusting.
    That's on par for a Slipmat post.

Great, now he can go and get one sided propaganda as anyone who says anything negative gets deleted and banned.

Anyone else get the feeling Slipmat and the OP is the same person...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Anyone else get the feeling Slipmat and the OP is the same person...
    I seriously doubt that.