15+ Year Old Account

Building rig for brother in law - won't boot up

Building a rig for my brother in law. I've built myself 4 rigs each time I've had zero issues. They turned on the first time. But this one won't boot up when I push the power switch. All leds are on. The fans, spin once, when it's plugged in, and then don't move again. But that's all it'll do.

Asus strix b250f gaming mobo
    I5 7400
    Gtx 1060
    1 stick of 8gb ram
    1 hdd
    1 ssd

Everything is plugged in the way it should be. But since my builds have always been flawless with zero issues I'm not exactly sure what to do. I've taken out the ram and gpu and tried again and same result. It just won't boot to even bios. But all the lights and leds are all on.

And for what it's worth I didn't buy the parts, he did. He just brought it all here.
    Last edited by Master Guns; 2017-02-24 at 01:12 AM.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Building a rig for my brother in law. I've built myself 4 rigs each time I've had zero issues. They turned on the first time. But this one won't boot up when I push the power switch. All leds are on. The fans, spin once, when it's plugged in, and then don't move again. But that's all it'll do.

Asus strix b250f gaming mobo
    I5 7400
    Gtx 1060
    1 stick of 8gb ram
    1 hdd
    1 ssd

Everything is plugged in the way it should be. But since my builds have always been flawless with zero issues I'm not exactly sure what to do. I've taken out the ram and gpu and tried again and same result. It just won't boot to even bios. But all the lights and leds are all on.
    Try using a different PSU.
    I've had the exact same happen with a SeaSonic M12-II EVO PSU.

It would twitch, power down and not react to anything after until I physically unplugged it from the wall, waited 30 seconds and plug it back in to do the exact same again and not respond anymore.

If that isn't it then try and re-seat your CPU and check if the pins are OK.
    Skylake/Kaby Lake are far more sensitive to socket pressure and will glitch out if the pressure is slightly too high as well.

So you could also start off trying just releasing the CPU pressure a bit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you have both power cables connected to the motherboard: the eatx12v and the eatxpwr? I had to debug a home build for my brother in law not too long ago and the problem was that he had connect the eatxpwr cable but not the eatx12v cable.

Also, try booting up with the GTX 1060 removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have speakers plugged in, do you hear any beeps? Also try booting up without the GPU and switch ram slot. If that does not work, switch the PSU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Do you have both power cables connected to the motherboard: the eatx12v and the eatxpwr? I had to debug a home build for my brother in law not too long ago and the problem was that he had connect the eatxpwr cable but not the eatx12v cable.

Also, try booting up with the GTX 1060 removed.
    Sigh. This was it. Lol. I felt pretty damn stupid lol.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Don't feel bad. I used to build computers a lot when I was younger, then didn't for a good 10-15 years. When I decided I was going to build new PCs for us, I bought the parts, put them all together for one of our rigs, but was reusing a couple things like RAM and HDDs. I did the exact same thing you did. We had a raid that night and I did not want to miss it, so I ran the PC over to a local shop and had them look at it. They actually had a news crew and stuff there for something at the time so said it would be a couple hours before they could look at it. Went to go eat and do some other shopping and came back and they told me what it was, then charged me a $60 diagnostic. Here I was thinking it was going to be bad RAM or a bad Motherboard or something and was fully expecting to have to buy parts. Instead, I just felt stupid and ripped off. I really felt like they could have just looked real quick, seen that, pointed it out and sent me on my merry way, especially since I knew the tech, I had gone to high school with him. Oh well, lesson learned, right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Easy fix! Call it a win