10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I don't think Jimmy's stock value will be affected by Cutler. The person that has, did it a year ago.
    Brock you mean?

There seem to be 2 conflicting forces at work in the NFL at the moment:

The Brock effect: An unproven QB that you bring in for a lot of money might paralyze your organization for 2 years if he turns out to suck.

The Dak effect: Getting a good young QB can turn a franchise from being a "maybe okay" to "legit Superbowl contender for the coming 10 years".

It's up to teams to decide which they think Jimmy is. I suspect there will be 1 or 2 teams that will convince themselves that getting Jimmy with 1 year left on his rookie contract is insurance enough to prevent the Brock effect and there's a good enough chance that he'll at least partly deliver on the Dak effect.

In all honesty, I think Garappolo is probably somewhere in the middle. Good QB that can get you in the playoffs with the right team around him. Possible Carson Palmer/Matt Ryan in a career year, but most likely more Alex Smith-esque on average. I don't think he's a generational talent that will alter the franchise on his own.

Maybe the biggest indicator of Jimmy's talents will lie in how Belichick handles him this off season.

If they hang on to him, they probably think Jimmy is legit.

If they trade him out of conference, they probably think he'll be pretty good

If they trade him in conference, they probably think he won't cause them issues if they had to play him

If they trade him in the division, they probably think he sucks

My hopes for trading Jimmy are mostly centered around the delicious irony that we can maybe get a 1st and 4th rounder for him and completely negate the Deflategate punishment, by trading the QB who only got to play because Brady got suspended. Superbowl 51 was already everything we could hope for as Patriots fans, with regards to Deflategate, but if we got those picks back as well, that would just be utterly hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

Jameis Winston said some really stupid shit again, but this time in front of a bunch of kids.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dnng1E7.jpg[IMG]
    What a completely awful thing for Winston to say. That guy is my straigth up no.1 QB that I have no clue about what he'll do next. He might bring his team to a Superbowl win, and he might be out of the league in 2 years with a severe crab leg dependency issue. Just no clue what that guy will do next.

This is definitely the thing that he will hear about for the rest of his life though, much like the crab leg thing. Completely not done as the public face of a franchise.

How well Garoppolo does is going to be more decided by where he goes, and who is around him than anything else. If he goes someplace with a decent o-line and an ok offensive system he could do well, but if he goes to the Browns or something, he will likely fall on his face. So basically the same as the other 2 NE backups not named can't buy an alarm clock. Cassel and Hoyer both went to the playoffs on other teams, but also sucked on other teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Surprising to no one, Okung was told his option will not be picked up.

Sounds like Donald Stephenson is in the process of/has been cut as well. O-line makeover attempt number 3 is starting early.
    Last edited by Grube; 2017-02-23 at 06:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Surprising to no one, Okung was told his option will not be picked up.

Sounds like Donald Stephenson is in the process of/has been cut as well. O-line makeover attempt number 3 is starting early.
    They are not alone.

Bucs are cutting Alterraun Verner (former Free Agency Superstar)

Jets are cutting an old RT and their Kicker, Nick Folk.

Seems there's lots of action today.

I do not approve teams with plenty of cap space cutting their RT, will make it much harder to retain Wagner

10+ Year Old Account
    In honor of Jerry Jones's induction, we get to play the Hall of Fame game on Aug 3rd, which apparently means we get to have training camp earlier too!

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Cowboy...ment--51446370

10+ Year Old Account
    Both tackles from the 2013 Seahawks team got released today.

People overrate that o line. It was bad, just not fucking awful like now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    In honor of Jerry Jones's induction, we get to play the Hall of Fame game on Aug 3rd, which apparently means we get to have training camp earlier too!

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Cowboy...ment--51446370
    Interesting! So Cowboys and Cardinals on August 3rd. Cool stuff. Hopefully they'll have an actual playable field this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Jimmy's stock value will be affected by Cutler. The person that has, did it a year ago.

Jameis Winston said some really stupid shit again, but this time in front of a bunch of kids.
    Nope, doesn't sound like a rapist at all.

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    If they hang on to him, they probably think Jimmy is legit.

If they trade him out of conference, they probably think he'll be pretty good

If they trade him in conference, they probably think he won't cause them issues if they had to play him

If they trade him in the division, they probably think he sucks

I've also heard another option; hold onto him for the next season for his last contract year in the event Brady stinks/gets injured, and then cut him, putting Jacoby Brissett as the back up. Seems to be that Brissett really is the key to what they do with Jimmy. If Bill believes Jacoby can be the next good back up, then they can use up Jimmy this year and avoid paying a big contract.

10+ Year Old Account
    Broncos finally got around to declining the option on that totally bonkers deal that Okung negotiated for himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get the man an agent, with the lack of good tackles on the market and less in the draft that guy can get paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I strongly doubt Okung will get an agent. If he does, he'll have to admit that he got fleeced last time and most people would be to proud to do that.

He'll probably get invites from every team though cause they'll be dying to sign him to a bad deal.

There are people that get similar deals to Okung with an agent, so it might not have made any difference at all. He bet on himself with a prove it deal, and it didn't work out for multiple reasons, some of which aren't even his fault. Garcia was so bad in pass protection it made Okung look worse than he actually was (plus Kubiak refusing to chip with TEs like every other team), he did not play well enough to justify his price tag on the option, and Denver is switching from a zbs to a pbs (which I don't think he has ever played in).

The OT FA and draft classes are super weak, and he is the best zbs LT available. He did play a full season last year for the first time in his career too, which should help him out especially if teams actually look at what he had to deal with next to him at guard.
    Last edited by Grube; 2017-02-24 at 05:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chiefs signed CJ Spiller. I remember liking him coming out of college, but I recall he had one good year and fell off the map.

10+ Year Old Account
    CJ Spiller is a gimp, doubt he makes the team, would be a shame if he did and took carries away from actual good RBs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Chiefs signed CJ Spiller. I remember liking him coming out of college, but I recall he had one good year and fell off the map.
    Yep, had one 1600 yards from scrimmage season in Buffalo, then they made a big deal out of him being a feature back, and how they were going to run him till he puked (literally said that) and then he didn't make 1000 yards that season and then it really went downhill in New Orleans and further destinations.

I agree with draynay, he's done and I doubt he makes a team this season when 53 men rosters are set up in September.

- - - Updated - - -

Compensatory picks are in, these are official draft picks in the 2017 draft:

3rd Rounder as expected, nice

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't even know what compensatory picks are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I still don't even know what compensatory picks are.
    Picks awarded based on contracts that leaving FAs received/FAs signed. No one actually knows how exactly they are award until they are offical, but some places like overthecap have been kind of close. They said Denver should get 2 3rds for Malik and Osweiler before they went out officially, but evidently Okung's contract canceled out Osweiler's and got a 7th for Vernon Davis or Ryan Harris instead. Elway has bombed in the 2nd and 3rd rounds for the most part anyway, so probably a good thing.

This shows how they go out.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh em gee, picks for the Rams