Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Looper (2012) - 10/10
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Yeah, I really liked it. I love Emily Blunt and Joe Levitt was pretty great in this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    The shit they do to the people from the past to catch the person from the future. That was seriously hardcore, enough to give me nightmares xD
    Decided to watch Looper because of these posts. I had seen the trailers since way back when (5 years ago) but it just looked dumb to me.

Story - Very interesting. The whole setting is so fresh.

Plot - Amazing. I can't stress this without spoiling, but goddamn the plot is perfectly written AND executed. There was never a dull moment in the movie (something that I rarely say). It wasn't even about pacing, it was just that a scene would happen and it would move on to the next part perfectly without spending too long. And all the scenes end up being different but they mesh together. It works really well in parallel at certain parts.

Also with the plot, it's not really cliche. A lot of time I'll roll my eyes if things are even slightly predictable or if things follow a typical movie plotline. This wasn't breaking that, per se, but it wasn't following the usual pattern.

Intelligence - I haven't rated movies based on intelligence before, because action movies don't really need this, but this movie is slightly smart. Like, it has the intellect factor where the audience gets told some information, and they inherently do the logic to realize 2+2=4. But it's not overly complex like Inception or Interstellar or how a time travel movie might get, it's like simple smart. I like it.

It seems weird handing a ten out but I don't see any real flaws. I have to give it a 10/10. In the sense of a "movie" it's perfect. Good job with your recommendations, guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It seems weird handing a ten out but I don't see any real flaws. I have to give it a 10/10. In the sense of a "movie" it's perfect. Good job with your recommendations, guys.
    I got alot more excited For Star Wars: The last jedi, when I learned Rian Johnson (looper's director) is directing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    What didn't you like about the nephew? Thought he was an excellent part of the movie.
    To me they overdid his storyline a little, juggling two gfs among other things. I also found his interaction with his uncle odd at times. (I lost my father at 14 myself, and even though everyone reacts differently, it was just something that felt off).

10+ Year Old Account
    Lego Batman, 8/10. Lotta fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    To me they overdid his storyline a little, juggling two gfs among other things. I also found his interaction with his uncle odd at times. (I lost my father at 14 myself, and even though everyone reacts differently, it was just something that felt off).
    Fair enough.

On the subject of Looper, it is one of those movies a lot of people really like, but which I merely found "okay". Premise was interesting, but I found it a bit half-baked and ridiculous by the end of it all.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-02-24 at 10:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Looper was decent but not something to cream your pants honestly.

Deleted
    Plot - Amazing. I can't stress this without spoiling, but goddamn the plot is perfectly written AND executed. There was never a dull moment in the movie (something that I rarely say). It wasn't even about pacing, it was just that a scene would happen and it would move on to the next part perfectly without spending too long. And all the scenes end up being different but they mesh together.
    That's exactly how i felt and (as a sidenote) that's the main thing i look for in movies to spot if it's good or bad.
    For me a movie to be good must have TONS o little memorable moments. Every scene must have a purpose, the purpose to immerse us in the world.
    Like...you know those "small talks" and "shit chats" in Tarantinos movies that are always memorable. Looper have tons of those.

I know i'm watching a good movie when in almost every scene i'm seeing memorable "small talks" a la Tarantino
    LoL i don't know how to explain any better than this.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-02-24 at 02:24 PM.

Collateral Beauty(2016)

6/10, I liked the movie, it has good drama but the ending was a little cliche

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Fantastic beasts and where to find them 9/10 but I'm biased

Great movie. All of it is nice really, it did the franchise justice. Can't wait to see more of Grindelwald and Dumbledore.

Just saw The Arrival, Fantastic Beasts and The Wind Rises.

The Arrival - I really like to see proper sci fi back in films, and this movie has a lot going for it. By no means perfect, I felt like the start was pretty wobbly and I don't think all the twists and turns were entirely convincing, some of the characters were pretty flat, but overall that didn't harm the movie too much and I was pretty pleased with it.

Fantastic Beasts - I really wasn't looking forward to this movie, I figured the HP franchise was done and I was happy for it to finish on the note it did. Making more just seemed like squeezing the orange too dry. I have to say though that it was pretty good overall, and I have no major complaints. I feel like being written as a screenplay first makes it better than the movie adaptations of the original books in a lot of ways, since they always came off as a very poor cousin to actually reading the books. Just don't go in expecting it to be Harry Potter at its zenith, it's a smaller story than that. I did notice a lot of Rowling trademarks, like the attention to minor characters, the neat universe building and the overall spirit of it. That was nice to see in action again.

The Wind Rises - Watching Miyazaki is like reading a European novel from the mid-20th century, and this definitely has that feeling. The visuals as usual are stunning, it's amazing how much work goes into these films. I found this one hard to follow at times, I feel like it's compressing quite a lot from the source material so that's probably why. Overall really good if a bit uneven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Sicario: 7/10. Would have scored higher if Emily Blunt's character wasn't so pointless and annoying. Also, the bar pick-up scenario was just absurd. Rest of the movie is solid and worth your time.

Get Out - 9/10.

Didn't go in with high expectations, but ended up loving it. Definitely worth a watch.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

Last night they were showing Guardians of the Galaxy on TV, so I watched it in my den with some popcorn. But remember, this wasn't a stream, this was on cable TV. So bare in mind that there were some commercial breaks, cursing was edited out, and MAYBE over the top gore was edited out? Idk, if the review seems off because I may have missed something cool, just realize why.

Alright, so. Immature + cliche but high budget/10. That's basically going to be how the rest of this rating is going to be.

The story was kinda gay. I won't go into detail or I'd write an essay, but the good guys were generic "I have my quirks but I'm loveable". The main hero has a heart of gold and is heroic about saving the one girl in the group. I could have muted the bad guys and would have known "oh these blue mean looking people who wave guns around and are menacing are evil for the sake of power/wealth."

Plot - generic, predictable. Team assembles, bad guys are bad, there are compromises with the devil you know, tricks, etc.

Action - some scenes looked nice because it was high budget, but it was typical "omg so much action switch between different fights going on wow look at that". To be fair, most movies are like this, but I happen to say this out loud in this review.

Comedy - immature and childish. Every 10 seconds in the movie there's a joke. It's not too bad, because it matches with the character's personalities and they just work their way into conversation, but it wasn't really that funny to me. I guess it felt really family/kid oriented because of that.

I guess I'll give it 2.25/10. It's really only that high because it looks nice and it has it's own Marvel charm, and also because it feels complete. It actually does feel like everything from the beginning comes to a close at the end. I'm sure some [*cough* simple-minded *cough cough*] people would really enjoy watching this movie, which might explain why it got such high ratings in this thread when it came out, but as a movie it's not good. It's a generic hero movie, with extra family comedy.

10 = among the 5 best movies ever
    5 = average
    1 = among the worst movies ever

Last movie I watched was 'Fury' about a WWII tank crew.

I rate it a 7/10. Perhaps it gets a bit of a boost because I love WWII movies.

Quote Originally Posted by tachycardias View Post
    10 = among the 5 best movies ever
    5 = average
    1 = among the worst movies ever
    Actually on your scale 5.5 is average. 5 is only the average if your scale is 0 to 10.

My scale mostly compares a movie with itself, while also paralleling what other movies are/have done. As such, it's more like:

10/10 - This movie was basically perfect. I recommend watching it, human being to human being.
    8-9/10 - This movie was very good and it wouldn't be a waste of time to see.
    4-7/10 - If this movie is in the category you like (horror, mind puzzles, action) you should take a weekend to watch it. Otherwise, just watch it if you're really bored, but don't expect greatness.
    1-3/10 - This movie exists. I'm not saying it's well done, but it's a movie.
    0-.99/10 - This isn't even a movie or it's a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by tachycardias View Post
    I rate it a 7/10. Perhaps it gets a bit of a boost because I love WWII movies.
    Being biased essentially voids reviews. Everyone has a different personality. If I don't like WWII movies, then your rating is especially detrimental to me.

snip
    To be fair, you must realize that you have a very... eccentric way of going about 1-10 scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by WackyWombat View Post
    Get Out - 9/10.

Didn't go in with high expectations, but ended up loving it. Definitely worth a watch.
    I remember seeing what I think was the Superbowl ad for it, and the trailer kept saying 'get out' in a really cheesy ass horror movie fashion. Had 0 hopes of it being good.

Checked back last week, and read an article preview which had the full trailer, which was less cheesy, and I was amped to check it out.

9.5/10 - Zero spoilers here, just that at my showing, it was crazy to feel that the audience was all 100% on board with the same emotions throughtout the whole thing. Cheering for the main character at the right times (you just can't help but not), audibly cringing during the nope level scenes, all of that. Everyone was sucked in from the start, you're just uneasy the whole time because the entire situation is just so unnerving.

The best part is how the main character doesn't act unrealistic, or get himself into shit that only happens in awful horror movies. He's basically acting/thinking like I was watching it all unfold. Thinking, 'y'know, this is fucking weird, but whatever, it's not that bad right?'

Right mix of comedy (cause Peele and all), right mix of tension, and great mix of unfolding the story piece by piece.

I hope that it doesn't get lost in the mix for next year's Oscars, cause he should be in the running for sure.

edit: also, I really tried to look behind all the cliche talking points about the race, though it just does all of those so well, and hits the tones it means to hit.
    Last edited by fangless; 2017-02-27 at 05:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hidden Figures

8/10

Solid cast. Good story and script.

No idea how historically accurate it is/was.

Its hard to imagine a time where we (in the U.S.) had separate facilities for those of color, feels like fiction, even though we know its history. Even more astounding is the ability to do math on such a high level and making pennies on the dollar compared to a white person. When a person functioning at that high a mental capacity could easily be making 6 figures or more these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    To be fair, you must realize that you have a very... eccentric way of going about 1-10 scoring.
    "My tastes are...unconventional." Get it? But I only saw the trailer...That and the internet uproar...

Alright, so there's like two comprehensive points I'll make about my ratings, which are why my scale is different than yours:

1. I reward originality. A movie just isn't going to be 8+ if it's been done a million times. Ask yourself this, "If I saw the exact same movie but with a different title, would I give it the same rating?"

2. A 5.5 average doesn't do justice to filter out the good movies. "Oh wow, the $200 million dollar budget Marvel movie, with all the power they have and the research on target audience, looks and seems better than that niche Korean movie that isn't even in English? I think I'll rate the Marvel movie 7 or 8." I mean, if you compare big movies with ""average"" then of course every movie is going to be a 7+ movie. Wtf is the point of even giving a rating, then?

I mean, we have the power of the internet. For free right now we can watch basically every movie ever made, in HD. How useful is it to just generically give any movie that seems semi-watchable a high rating? It's not useful.