Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation University Of Michigan Student Group Demands Safe Space - No Whites Allowed

http://www.dailywire.com/news/13809/...e-hank-berrien

Racist SJWs are at it again...

A student activist group at the University of Michigan is demanding a separate place for “Black students and students of color to organize and do social justice work.”

As The College Fix reports:

The demand is one of several lodged by “Students4Justice,” who this month ratcheted up campus demonstrations to pressure administrators to cave, complaining in a newly launched petition that President Mark Schlissel has snubbed their demands. The clamor for a segregated space for students of color to organize social justice efforts comes even as the public university builds a $10 million center for black students in the center of campus.

The petition, addressed to Schlissel, reads:

We are disappointed in you. Your lackluster leadership has continued for too long. When students marched to your house in the middle of the night following an attack and hate crime that threatened to kill members of our campus community, we expected you to lead us with strength. This is not to say you can never be vulnerable-- good leaders must be. Good leaders, however, do not say “I feel helpless” when they have not done their utmost to enact change. You have not put in the necessary work and effort into improving our campus, and until you do, it is a disservice to students to hear you say “I feel helpless.” If we as an institution are truly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where is your creativity for making the things you say you value a reality? . . .

The petition then lists an assorted number of grievances the students have with Schlissel.

The demand letter states that the new black student center is not enough, “because we want a space solely dedicated to community organizing and social justice work specifically for people of color . . . We want documentation of past, current, and future student activism and this should be a permanent space that is staffed, and has resources for students to organize and share resources.”

The Michigan Review, which first reported on the issue, stated, “The same organization that criticizes the University for failing to create ‘an environment that engages in diversity, equity and inclusion,’ is calling upon the University to undermine these ideals by facilitating a sort of de facto segregation? One where space and resources are designated for students based solely on the color of their skin? . . . To advocate for the ideals of diversity, equity and inclusion, while simultaneously calling upon the University to sanction these spaces on campus is both unprincipled and laughably regressive.”

Students4Justice posted on Facebook, “Our president has blatantly ignored us and it is time for us to speak up. We have been told that our demands are ‘rude.’ We are calling on someone to care about students’ concerns and to lead us with integrity and help us fight against the oppression and hateful acts that try to destroy us and our community.”

We already have thread running about this so ill leave this to the moderators.

A no white zone?

That kinda reminds me of.. This...

Do we need a thread every time stupid college kids do something stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    A no white zone?

And it was equally awful back then, what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    And it was equally awful back then, what's your point?
    Calm down there. My point is that these kids are destroying what their ancestors have fought for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    A no white zone?

it's 2017 and it feels like we've gone back to the 1800s all because the SJW left feel like they need to still make up for our ancestors being stupid, when it's just destroying equality instead.

Deleted
    It doesn't really matter.
    Employers will Google them at some point and no one will hire them.

College years completely wasted.

Segregation for everyone!
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It doesn't really matter.
    Employers will Google them at some point and no one will hire them.

College years completely wasted.
    there's going to plenty of opportunities at any sjw company

7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if there will ever be a time when I see "safe space" and don't laugh a bit inside. Such a ridiculous thing in my opinion.

I think it'd be nice if people could get together and say (basically), "we're doing black things for a bit". It's not the sort of thing that appeals to me, but so what? The idea that every little clubs everywhere on every campus has to be racially inclusive at all times seems far more absurd to me than a few black kids that just want to talk about black stuff without whites around on occasion.

I really don't understand this impulse to say, "you have to include meeeeeeee" all the damned time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think it'd be nice if people could get together and say (basically), "we're doing black things for a bit". It's not the sort of thing that appeals to me, but so what? The idea that every little clubs everywhere on every campus has to be racially inclusive at all times seems far more absurd to me than a few black kids that just want to talk about black stuff without whites around on occasion.

I really don't understand this impulse to say, "you have to include meeeeeeee" all the damned time.
    What exactly are black things though?
    Most schools have us and stuff for specific nationalities or religions, they make sense to me, but a specific skin color one just seems odd.
    dragonmaw - EU

They can meet in the back of the bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    What exactly are black things though?
    Most schools have us and stuff for specific nationalities or religions, they make sense to me, but a specific skin color one just seems odd.
    Who cares? I still don't know what the fuck the point of a fraternity is, but people seem to like those (or at least the members do). I have zero interest in arguing about whether a black club has any merit or not, it just doesn't matter - if the black kids want a club that excludes whites, what's it to me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where does it actually say they don't want to allow whites? Please help me find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Where does it actually say they don't want to allow whites? Please help me find it!
    I'm guessing it's this line

“because we want a space solely dedicated to community organizing and social justice work specifically for people of color . .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I'm guessing it's this line

“because we want a space solely dedicated to community organizing and social justice work specifically for people of color . .
    Excuse my misunderstanding of the English language, but I thought there was a difference between "specifically" and "exclusively"?

15+ Year Old Account
    Black people for segregation.. right.. Back of the bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Excuse my misunderstanding of the English language, but I thought there was a difference between "specifically" and "exclusively"?
    There is, but I would say many\most Americans don't always use precise language. If I say I want a room dedicated specifically for Whites, it would be generally understood that room is white only. In this case, I'd like to hear the Student body expand on what they wanted to the point of clearly stating, either No whites or Blacks only. If that sentence is the main one they are extrapolating that it's a No whites allowed statement, I think it needs to be clarified more, as it's not 100% clear to me that's what they are asking for.

I also think it's assumed, because we saw it in the Uni of Mizzou video where the black student told the student reporter he couldn't be there because it was a black safe space. And there was one other student body that also asked for a black only safe space.

Like UCLA
    Rebranding the Afrikan Diaspora Floor with Residential Life. Black students lack spaces where they feel safe and comfortable. The Afrikan Diaspora floor is a way for us to connect more to other Black students, the Afrikan Student Union, and the Afro-Am department. The floor should be branded as a safe space for all Black students.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-02-24 at 12:50 PM.