Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool trickle of refugees fleeing the U.S. to Canada to become a deluge in the spring

Canada stealing our refugees.

I think they are shopping for benefits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...in-the-spring/

OTTAWA — As desperate asylum seekers continue to flee the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown by crossing into Canada, concern is growing here over whether the country will be able to cope if the number of migrants keeps growing.

Stories of migrants hauling children and suitcases across frozen fields and snow-covered ditches into Canada have become headline news. The asylum seekers, who are fleeing President Trump’s travel and refugee bans as well as stepped-up arrests of undocumented immigrants, have received warm welcomes. But opposition politicians are criticizing the government of Justin Trudeau for being too harsh or too lax in its approach.

In a recent survey from the Angus Reid Institute, a Vancouver-based opinion research firm, most Canadians were supportive of the government’s decision to maintain its target of accepting 40,000 refugees in 2017. But 25 percent wanted to see Ottawa enact a travel ban similar to the Trump order.

Today's WorldView

What's most important from where the world meets Washington

In answer to a separate question, 40 percent said they think Canada is accepting too many refugees. The number of refugee claims has spiked since the election of Trump. On the Quebec border with the United States alone, there were 452 claims in January compared with 137 in the same month a year ago.

“There is a significant number of Canadians who have been taking a harder line on the issue of refugee resettlement,” said Shachi Kurl, the executive director of the Angus Reid Institute. “This is much more than a fringe.”

And with so many migrants willing to traipse through the ice and snow to reach Canada, there are concerns that numbers could soar with the advent of spring. “Will we be facing down our own mini-Greece or mini-Italy moment? What are we going to see when the snow melts?” Kurl asks.

Jenny Kwan, a member of Parliament for the left-leaning New Democratic Party, wants Ottawa to withdraw from its Safe Third Country Agreement with the United States. That pact states that an individual arriving at an official Canadian border point from the United States isn’t allowed to make a refugee claim, an effort to avoid “asylum shopping.” But if an asylum seeker crosses into Canada irregularly — as the current wave of migrants is — and then calls the police, he or she can make a claim legally.

“We need to stand up for human rights,” she told The Washington Post. “We are seeing people who are crossing to Canada through the back door. They are literally risking life and limb. I don’t think the U.S. can be considered a safe country for refugees at this moment.”

But the Conservative Party says the Trudeau government isn’t doing enough to protect “the integrity of our border,” said Conservative MP Michelle Rempel. She wants the government to make it clear that crossing the border outside official crossings is “illegal and unsafe” and to take further action if the situation deteriorates.

“I have this feeling that we’re going to see big numbers coming across once the weather gets better,” said Greg Janzen, the reeve — the equivalent of a mayor — of Emerson, Manitoba, a small town on the border with North Dakota that has seen growing numbers of asylum seekers.

The arrivals were once simply a weekend phenomenon, but refugees are now turning up on a daily basis. “We had six this morning,” Janzen said Wednesday. “I think they walked up to the hotel. They kept them in the lobby until the RCMP came.”

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police bring the refugees to the local border post, where they are processed and then driven to Winnipeg, the nearest large city. There have been no incidents involving the refugees aside from two Ghanaians who suffered serious frostbite before Christmas, but Janzen remains worried. He’d like to see a change in the law that would allow claims to be made at the border point — even if numbers increase as a result.

“That way they’re not coming through town,” he said. “It’s safer for them and it’s safer for townspeople. It’s safer for everyone.”

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope @Tennisace has their garage setup as an air B&B

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada might need to Build a Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I hope @Tennisace has their garage setup as an air B&B
    Ha, he only supports things if others are paying for it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy Canada!

You wanted to preach to us? You wanted a liberal government!

Wallah! Put up and shut up.

I feel bad for Canada having to deal with all those families fleeing for their lives from the war. It sure sucks to be them. Good thing we have Trump in power to kick them out cause if you are here ILLEGALLY.. then your conditions arent as important as a fellow merican. i dont have a problem with refugees just the ILLEGAL ones. Am I doing it right

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bay of Fundy being a bro under these trying times.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Good they can have them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Wallah!
    What is that?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Good for Canada.

This is a waste of Canadian tax dollars, we already have too many refugees as it is, we dont need another 80,000 like Germany or Sweden has. This border loophole needs to be closed.

Why are illegal Mexicans so much more deserving than everyone else? If they're so desperate, they'd go to Africa. It's the Mexican dream to get illegal status anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Canada stealing our refugees.

I think they are shopping for benefits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...in-the-spring/

OTTAWA — As desperate asylum seekers continue to flee the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown by crossing into Canada, concern is growing here over whether the country will be able to cope if the number of migrants keeps growing.

Stories of migrants hauling children and suitcases across frozen fields and snow-covered ditches into Canada have become headline news. The asylum seekers, who are fleeing President Trump’s travel and refugee bans as well as stepped-up arrests of undocumented immigrants, have received warm welcomes. But opposition politicians are criticizing the government of Justin Trudeau for being too harsh or too lax in its approach.

In a recent survey from the Angus Reid Institute, a Vancouver-based opinion research firm, most Canadians were supportive of the government’s decision to maintain its target of accepting 40,000 refugees in 2017. But 25 percent wanted to see Ottawa enact a travel ban similar to the Trump order.

Today's WorldView

What's most important from where the world meets Washington

In answer to a separate question, 40 percent said they think Canada is accepting too many refugees. The number of refugee claims has spiked since the election of Trump. On the Quebec border with the United States alone, there were 452 claims in January compared with 137 in the same month a year ago.

“There is a significant number of Canadians who have been taking a harder line on the issue of refugee resettlement,” said Shachi Kurl, the executive director of the Angus Reid Institute. “This is much more than a fringe.”

And with so many migrants willing to traipse through the ice and snow to reach Canada, there are concerns that numbers could soar with the advent of spring. “Will we be facing down our own mini-Greece or mini-Italy moment? What are we going to see when the snow melts?” Kurl asks.

Jenny Kwan, a member of Parliament for the left-leaning New Democratic Party, wants Ottawa to withdraw from its Safe Third Country Agreement with the United States. That pact states that an individual arriving at an official Canadian border point from the United States isn’t allowed to make a refugee claim, an effort to avoid “asylum shopping.” But if an asylum seeker crosses into Canada irregularly — as the current wave of migrants is — and then calls the police, he or she can make a claim legally.

“We need to stand up for human rights,” she told The Washington Post. “We are seeing people who are crossing to Canada through the back door. They are literally risking life and limb. I don’t think the U.S. can be considered a safe country for refugees at this moment.”

But the Conservative Party says the Trudeau government isn’t doing enough to protect “the integrity of our border,” said Conservative MP Michelle Rempel. She wants the government to make it clear that crossing the border outside official crossings is “illegal and unsafe” and to take further action if the situation deteriorates.

“I have this feeling that we’re going to see big numbers coming across once the weather gets better,” said Greg Janzen, the reeve — the equivalent of a mayor — of Emerson, Manitoba, a small town on the border with North Dakota that has seen growing numbers of asylum seekers.

The arrivals were once simply a weekend phenomenon, but refugees are now turning up on a daily basis. “We had six this morning,” Janzen said Wednesday. “I think they walked up to the hotel. They kept them in the lobby until the RCMP came.”

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police bring the refugees to the local border post, where they are processed and then driven to Winnipeg, the nearest large city. There have been no incidents involving the refugees aside from two Ghanaians who suffered serious frostbite before Christmas, but Janzen remains worried. He’d like to see a change in the law that would allow claims to be made at the border point — even if numbers increase as a result.

“That way they’re not coming through town,” he said. “It’s safer for them and it’s safer for townspeople. It’s safer for everyone.”
    INB4 your Queen wants to build a wall, and make America pay for it. MCGA!!

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Why are illegal Mexicans so much more deserving than everyone else? If they're so desperate, they'd go to Africa. It's the Mexican dream to get illegal status anywhere.
    Well, because most Americans are amoral worshipers of Mammon. You can't really say you deserve better when you care more about a drug store than a man who was murdered by the state, now can you?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Well, because most Americans are amoral worshipers of Mammon.
    Amon and Lucifer too.

If Canada blocks refugees at the Canadian border, they're in the US? We'll deport them?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm 100% okay with this.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    This is a waste of Canadian tax dollars, we already have too many refugees as it is, we dont need another 80,000 like Germany or Sweden has. This border loophole needs to be closed.
    Wrong attitude Bro. You don't have near enough refugees, you need 180,000 more. You guys need to be the beacon of the world, show everyone else how it is done. Your PM said you would gladly accept them all if the US didn't want them!

Excellent! Take them.