Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New graphics card, wow fps

Hey!

I really need a new graphics card now, I'm getting around 20 fps in The Nighthold during fights. My question here is mainly how large the differences are between the different kinds of gtx 1060 6gbs are, the cheapest one I can find is the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GT OC, is that in any significant way worse than the asus one recommended here?

Also, could people with a 1060 tell me how their experiences playing wow with it are?
    My current setup is:
    i5 750 clocked at 4ghz
    corsair tx 650w (should be enough to power a 1060 right?)
    8gb of some g.star RAM

To be clear, I'm playing on the lowest settings possible and my max cpu usage is around 20% playing WoW.

You dont need a gtx 1060 6gb for WoW, thats wasting money. Grab a 100 dollar gtx 1050 its all you need, and is about a 5-7x performance boost over your current card.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D=3938566&SID=

Your CPU is older and needs an upgrade as well, but the GPU will be the better upgrade for right now.

Deleted
    My computer is turning seven years old in a few weeks, and I really wouldn't want to buy a new graphics card in the next eight years or so and still be able to play things on high settings, so a 1060 feels like a safe bet. I'm mainly concerned regaring the difference between brands now.

EDIT: And to be honest, the price difference between the cheapest 1050 and a 1060 6gb in Sweden is what I spend on alcohol some weekends, I'd save money being alone with WoW instead
    Last edited by mmocb39a133b7e; 2017-02-24 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    My computer is turning seven years old in a few weeks, and I really wouldn't want to buy a new graphics card in the next eight years or so and still be able to play things on high settings, so a 1060 feels like a safe bet. I'm mainly concerned regaring the difference between brands now.
    Your graphics card is not the only thing holding you back. You might be able to turn some settings up with a newer graphics card, but in situations where your FPS is dropping to 20, you are likely being limited by your CPU not your GPU. Since it's the CPU limiting you, not the GPU, your FPS will still tank to what it tanks to even if you get a new GPU. Honestly, you do need a new GPU too though, so you may want to consider a whole new build, I'd wait a few days for more info on Ryzen first though.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    My pc is also 7 years old now, recently replaced my old AMD 1GB HD5870 (cause it broke) with a GTX 1060 6GB (gigabyte xtreme gaming 1060), and I am happy with it. It wasn't the cheapest 1060 around but it's super quiet and super cool too, but it's much thicker then the standard 1060 due to the extra fans/heatsinks.

Mind you my processor is even older, I7 920 , not OC @ 2.67. And I do get 60 fps pretty much everywhere solo at 1080p Graphics level 7, but with Ultra shadows, and ground clutter at 10.

Raids of course aint 60 fps but I think that's more CPU dependant then anything. But it's still more then 20 fps.

Distance 10 isn't needed at all imo, clutter 10 does make a bigger difference in how beautiful the game is with no noticeable hit.

I was initially planning to get a new pc late last year, but with the upcoming AMD processor line and intel lines, I waited, as well as I didn't want to completely toss this pc.

So after suddenly my video card broke that's why I upgraded the video card and also went from 6 to 12 GB ram (motherboard is triple channel so I had to get 3x4GB)
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-02-24 at 04:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Your graphics card is not the only thing holding you back. You might be able to turn some settings up with a newer graphics card, but in situations where your FPS is dropping to 20, you are likely being limited by your CPU not your GPU. Since it's the CPU limiting you, not the GPU, your FPS will still tank to what it tanks to even if you get a new GPU. Honestly, you do need a new GPU too though, so you may want to consider a whole new build, I'd wait a few days for more info on Ryzen first though.
    Wouldn't my processor usage be higher than 20% in that case though?

Deleted
    WoW is somewhat CPU intensive, so you would need to replace your CPU as well if it is indeed 7 years old. Anyway, for the graphics card, different brands are not really that different. What you would want to look at is the design and the cooler being used. Also, take into account the actual size of the graphics card.

Your 5770 is shit.

My i5 750 isn't overclocked at all, and runs WoW just fine on my GTX 1060. And that's on max settings. My 5870 was on minimum settings and barely broke 30 fps when out in the wild.

Honestly, go for the 1060. nVidia often performs better than AMD on WoW, and especially with weaker CPUs.

Wouldn't my processor usage be higher than 20% in that case though?
    No, because WoW primarily uses a single core and it doesn't even fully load that core. Since you have an i5, with 4 cores, if it's at 20% usage, that means one core is nearly maxed out. It's just the way WoW is. Don't get me wrong, you need a new GPU too, but your min FPS will not change unless you get a CPU also. Only your max FPS, in ideal situations where there are not a lot of people around and not in a raid, will go up.

EVGA is my preference as a brand ,but the architecture is roughly the same.
    so, brand shouldn't really matter.

EVGA 1060 Newegg

another 8g of ram would help also.

Deleted
    Regarding the processor comments, keep in mind my 750 performs 75% better than stock one in benchmarks.

No, because WoW primarily uses a single core and it doesn't even fully load that core. Since you have an i5, with 4 cores, if it's at 20% usage, that means one core is nearly maxed out. It's just the way WoW is. Don't get me wrong, you need a new GPU too, but your min FPS will not change unless you get a CPU also. Only your max FPS, in ideal situations where there are not a lot of people around and not in a raid, will go up.
    WoW uses at max 9%, with various Windows services, Firefox and Discord bringring that to 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    EVGA is my preference as a brand ,but the architecture is roughly the same.
    so, brand shouldn't really matter.

EVGA 1060 Newegg

another 8g of ram would help also.
    EVGA is a popular brand and their transferable warranties mean you have a product you are more likely to be able to resell for more. Nothing wrong with that brand at all.

As for another 8GB of RAM though, why? Honestly, while I do not really recommend it, 4GB is still more than enough for gaming and 8GB is really overkill. Just look at this:
    http://www.techspot.com/article/1043...ram/page3.html

1FPS difference at most between 4GB and 8GB, no difference between 8GB and 16GB, and these are only the most RAM hungry of the games that they tested, with 65 Chrome tabes open using over 2GB of RAM. Judging from that, since over half the 4GB was being used by Chrome, if not multitasking, even 2GB RAM is enough for gaming. I do recommend getting at least 8GB when building, but if he were to upgrade his RAM, he'd be buying DDR3 which will not be able to be moved forward to a new build and will not increase performance in the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding the processor comments, keep in mind my 750 performs 75% better than stock one in benchmarks.

WoW uses at max 9%, with various Windows services, Firefox and Discord bringring that to 20.
    Ok then, just get a new GPU. When your FPS still tanks you'll know why. At least you'll already have a new GPU for your new build.

Your CPU will limit raid performance by a lot. A card like a 1060 can sit at 1/5'th load in raids even with a much more powerful CPU because the game is CPU heavy and it's waiting on the CPU.

keep in mind my 750 performs 75% better than stock one in benchmarks.
    WoW uses at max 9%
    WoW will max one core and hit a performance wall long before you get to consistent 60+ FPS in raids; default windows tools are awful at measuring that.

Deleted

Ok then, just get a new GPU. When your FPS still tanks you'll know why. At least you'll already have a new GPU for your new build.
    So, I rebooted my computer, set my CPU to stock settings, got invited to some random NH group just to walk around a bit. Verdict: Stable 60fps world, drops to 55 in Dalaran and an average of 6fps lower in The Nighthold. CPU usage by WoW went from ~9% to ~17% (EDIT: Pushed it to 25% usage with particle effect spam!).

Could you just leave this thread if you're going to talk about the performance of a CPU that you don't seem to know anything about?
    Last edited by mmocb39a133b7e; 2017-02-24 at 05:11 PM.

So, I rebooted my computer, set my CPU to stock settings, got invited to some random NH group just to walk around a bit. Verdict: Stable 60fps world, drops to 55 in Dalaran and an average of 6fps lower in The Nighthold. CPU usage by WoW went from ~9% to ~17% (EDIT: Pushed it to 25% usage with particle effect spam!).

Could you just leave this thread if you're going to talk about the performance of a CPU that you don't seem to know anything about?
    That's probably average usage.
    You'll always be cpu limited (singlethread) in raiding when you go above a certain point in gpu power, supposedly ~GTX 1050 atm.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-02-24 at 05:16 PM.

So, I rebooted my computer, set my CPU to stock settings, got invited to some random NH group just to walk around a bit. Verdict: Stable 60fps world, drops to 55 in Dalaran and an average of 6fps lower in The Nighthold. CPU usage by WoW went from ~9% to ~17%.

Because I do know what I am talking about. I've been here for the hundreds of threads over the years where people ask the same quesion you are, don't listen, go out and buy a GPU then come backs weeks later with a thread, "HELP!!! New GPU and FPS Did not improve!!" I understand how the game works and what it needs and help people here all the time. You are the one that does not know what you are talking about. Sorry. I was going to leave it alone with that last comment, but you had to come back and say stuff. Like I said, feel free to buy just a GPU, since you apparently know more than the people you asked for help. If that's what you want to do, obviously noone can stop you. Go for it. When you are less than satisfied with the results though, you'll already know why.

Deleted
    Wait for AMD vega rx 580 something will be announced on 28 of february , for sure will be good price for high end gpu

WoW is more CPU demanding than GPU, you'd be better off investing in a good CPU and semi decent graphics card.

Deleted
    Because I do know what I am talking about. I've been here for the hundreds of threads over the years where people ask the same quesion you are, don't listen, go out and buy a GPU then come backs weeks later with a thread, "HELP!!! New GPU and FPS Did not improve!!" I understand how the game works and what it needs and help people here all the time. You are the one that does not know what you are talking about. Sorry. I was going to leave it alone with that last comment, but you had to come back and say stuff. Like I said, feel free to buy just a GPU, since you apparently know more than the people you asked for help. If that's what you want to do, obviously noone can stop you. Go for it. When you are less than satisfied with the results though, you'll already know why.
    You literally have people with actual experiences with similar systems saying I'm right, and I literally put my cpu settings to stock to show you that it goes from 9% to 25% usage in such a scenario. Do I need to underclock my 750 to get it to 50% usage in WoW for you to understand?

Come on people, making side comments in a thread is fine, commenting with neither ability nor desire to answer the actual question is not.

EDIT: I'll just quote the question again...
    My question here is mainly how large the differences are between the different kinds of gtx 1060 6gbs are, the cheapest one I can find is the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GT OC, is that in any significant way worse than the asus one recommended here?

I just love threads in which people refuse to accept facts about WoW and hardware interaction.