Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    We're just treated like red-headed step children.
    Campaign for eliminating the electoral college then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Alternatively, you could eliminate the root cause of the high housing costs, so that long commutes are not needed. It's not an accident that the two markets with the strictest and most over bearing rent control also have the highest rent. Eliminate the rent control, and they will just build new buildings to house the demand.
    While I don't agree that rent control is the best answer the whole "well build more houses" is an extreme oversimplification. Especially when dealing with areas where space is limited - such as New York. Then in other areas where space is less limited, howdy Los Angeles you have to build out the infrastructure such that it will support those houses as when there's space people don't like to go for high density.

As for the project being pork, let's count the ways that it is not.

1) It will bring in workers from other areas of CA as well as from out of state to do the job.

2) Portland Oregon produces rail-cars as well as other cities from the Midwest and East Coast.

3) Materials will be sourced not only from around the country but around the world.

4) It increases the productivity of what is probably the most profitable area of the country, doing so generates more tax revenue that is then used to help the rest of the country.

Maybe have a little foresight.

So, they are stealing highway money to use on light rail for the rich. Got it.

This is just an intentional lie on your part. Yes, I am most definitely calling you a liar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Campaign for eliminating the electoral college then.
    I don't care about it enough to "campaign" for it. I can see valid reasons for both keeping and for changing it to a popular vote.

I would say if given the opportunity to vote on it, I would support a popular vote.

What I DON'T support are these protests simply because people don't like the results of the recent contest. You don't get to change the rules after the fact, and when you protest simply because you don't like the outcome, you sound like a toddler who hasn't learned the value of sportsmanship.

I would ACTUALLY even be open to a re-election under a popular vote. But you don't get to simply hand a win over to Hilary because the CURRENT data under the OLD system shows a win. That doesn't take into account the many people in this country that choose NOT to vote because they are disenfranchised with the CURRENT electoral college system.

We also then need many more federally run elections, rather than letting states run their own systems of voting and THEN reporting back to the federal government the results. Standardized voting.