Best spec - returning player

Hey, quit the game for almost 6 months. Is outlaw still the best all around spec for mythic raiding?

No, assassination

Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    No, assassination
    Assassination for all fights?

Outlaw is not viable at all for mythic raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Assassination for all fights?

Outlaw is not viable at all for mythic raiding?
    not really, many classes can cleave better than outlaw, not many specs can do better ST than assa

or rather... define viable

it IS viable, but it is by no means a top tier spec, assa is more useful on basically almost every mythic boss unless your raidcomp severely lacks AOE
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-02-24 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    not really, many classes can cleave better than outlaw, not many specs can do better ST than assa

or rather... define viable

it IS viable, but it is by no means a top tier spec, assa is more useful on basically almost every mythic boss unless your raidcomp severely lacks AOE
    alright thanks!

Assassination is probably in TOP3 in melee DPS right now.

So I am thinking of boosting a rogue - what spec do you recommend to start with for leveling, general stuff and then early raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by jamor9391 View Post
    So I am thinking of boosting a rogue - what spec do you recommend to start with for leveling, general stuff and then early raiding?
    I think Assassination would be the weakest levelling spec. I personally did Subtlety because of the healing in stealth/shadow dance while perma-stunning mobs to death. Outlaw's playstyle is a bit more of zerging them down, and I definitely recommend taking Iron Stomache. Their DPS can feel insane at times, but I found it quite slow because of energy regen and the high cost of their CP-generator.
    Backstab is very weak, nightblade ticks higher - at least when I was levelling.

Assassination is definitely my favourite spec in how it "feels", but less so solo. (I am doing WQs as Sub because it's my only spec with a hidden skin anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I think Assassination would be the weakest levelling spec. I personally did Subtlety because of the healing in stealth/shadow dance while perma-stunning mobs to death. Outlaw's playstyle is a bit more of zerging them down, and I definitely recommend taking Iron Stomache. Their DPS can feel insane at times, but I found it quite slow because of energy regen and the high cost of their CP-generator.
    Backstab is very weak, nightblade ticks higher - at least when I was levelling.

Assassination is definitely my favourite spec in how it "feels", but less so solo. (I am doing WQs as Sub because it's my only spec with a hidden skin anyway)
    Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

Level with Outlaw. Marked for Death is totally busted for outdoor content, and 25% Leech from Grand Melee lets you solo just about anything.
    Ankleshanker, 110 Rogue, Aerie Peak US

Hope it's okay to piggyback off this thread - have a very related question. Between Sin and Sub, which spec is least dependent on legendaries (and trinkets, specific relics, etc) and has more options for viable legendaries? I'm trying to avoid another situation like my DH where I'm constantly reminded of how much better life would be w/ the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Necropotence View Post
    Hope it's okay to piggyback off this thread - have a very related question. Between Sin and Sub, which spec is least dependent on legendaries (and trinkets, specific relics, etc) and has more options for viable legendaries? I'm trying to avoid another situation like my DH where I'm constantly reminded of how much better life would be w/ the ring.
    I don't know much about Sub, but Sin is pretty good in that regard. Legendary shoulders, bracers, cloak, ring and boots are all good for Sin, so the odds of getting a good legendary are relatively high. There's a lot of trinkets as well for Sin so that's nice. Relics are kind of tight for Sin, better than last patch though.

Again I don't know how Sub is since I don't play it, but I've heard it's pretty reliant on a couple legendaries and I think their relic/trinket situation is similar.

Deleted
    I will level my rogue as well now as assassination. Is this spec heavily dependant on having the right legendaries, like fire mage for example?

I recently leveled my rogue up and I would 100% recommend sub over the other 2. With marked for death you can take mobs down incredibly fast and the healer and teleporting with shadowstrike is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by eyedeeuh View Post
    I recently leveled my rogue up and I would 100% recommend sub over the other 2. With marked for death you can take mobs down incredibly fast and the healer and teleporting with shadowstrike is awesome.
    Ima stop you right there, cause for leveling, Grappling Hook is the best ability OF ALL TIME.
    Ankleshanker, 110 Rogue, Aerie Peak US

Yeah, Outlaw is still the spec I do outdoor content in, even with 54 points in sin. Grappling hook + MFD + bladeflurry make great combos for levelling.

I think all 3 rogue specs are viable atm.

Outlaw is most legendary dependent, it got best cleave and mobility. On the other hand your single target dps is lower then assa or sub.
    Assa is least legendary dependent, but your job is ignore all and tunnel boss, this spec pretty much do single target dps and only single target dps.
    Sub is somewhere between, your single target on patchwerk fights is comparable with assa, but you are able to switch targets without losing too much.

I just started leveling my rogue alt, 107 and counting, but the picture I'm getting from guild mates is Outlaw for M+, Sub for raids, or Assassination as good all-rounder.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Without legendaries outlaw isnt better then sub/assa in m+. Outlaw got godlike mobility and ability to survive, that reducing cd buff doing so much job. But the price is dmg.

Sub is really good for m+ and with right legendaries and smaller pulls, it can outshine outlaw in m+.

Assa is worst in m+, in low mythics you gonna struggle and hope for poison bomb procs. In higher mythics you gonna struggle a bit less, but still gonna hope for poison bomb procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aureli View Post
    Without legendaries outlaw isnt better then sub/assa in m+. Outlaw got godlike mobility and ability to survive, that reducing cd buff doing so much job. But the price is dmg.

Sub is really good for m+ and with right legendaries and smaller pulls, it can outshine outlaw in m+.

Assa is worst in m+, in low mythics you gonna struggle and hope for poison bomb procs. In higher mythics you gonna struggle a bit less, but still gonna hope for poison bomb procs.
    TB no longer reduce reposte and CoS cd. But outlaw is still the best spec by far for levelling.