Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like to imagine that Earth is really just an intergalactic TV series for more advanced species titled "Apes with Nukes."
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    The protestant reformation really had arguments going. And no unjustified dencounciations. Thats quite different.

Actually, i dont talk about limiting controversials, i talk about recongnizing that insults and violence are not the same as controversials.
    Drawing Mohammad is an insult to a lot of people, should we punish people for that too?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Drawing Mohammad is an insult to a lot of people, should we punish people for that too?
    I talk about insults which are defined as insults by country law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    I am absolutely for freedom of speech. I just dont think that insulting people or groups of people is covered by free speech.

Intellectual property rarely is covered by vandalism laws.
    That is like saying I am not a racist and some of my best friends are "colour X" but I think people with different colours should stay in different countries. You are either for freedom of speech or you are not.

Intellectuals property protection last for a few decades, a century at most since the death of the author, so I dont see what this has to do with Mohammed or Jesus who have been dead for a much longer than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    So at the end your argument is about legalizing piracy?
    Among other things, yes. Or, rather, it is about abolishing "piracy" as a concept.

Sure, a person owns his values. And a person has the right to believe in a religion he choses to. Thats what it is about in freedom of religion. And the state has to protect that.
    The state doesn't have to protect a person's beliefs and feelings, it has to protect their right to express those beliefs and feelings - and one of the ways to express them is to burn holy books you own.

Not at all if you understand that religion is a common set of values for many. If you question their religion, you question their values.
    That's what our life is about: questioning each other's values, finding a compromise between them in a social interaction. Shielding people from that interaction just because they believe in some omni-potent being based on a book written 1500 years ago is pretty silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I talk about insults which are defined as insults by country law.
    Well that's good, I guess it's pretty simple then. You think it's okay to punish people for insulting religion, and I think it's regressive. Like burning witches, or the Inquisition.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Looking for 10,000 people to acquire a qu'ran then burn it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    It´s really hard to get rid of such laws in some cases. In most countries they´re never used anyways, it´s more like a cultural traditional thing. For example in the Netherlands it´s law that you may not insult the King. Noone ever gets charged for it though.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I wonder where all the usual 'intelligent' "The LAW is the LAW" people are at, right now?
    Oh its you again, so tell me, what happened to that violent anti Trump uprising you were promising after the election?

Maybe he shouldn't have burned it and then he wouldn't have been charged? /mindblown

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    http://www.thelocal.dk/20170222/dani...-for-blasphemy

A man who filmed himself burning the Quran has become the first person to be charged under Denmark's blasphemy law in 46 years.
    The 42-year-old filmed himself burning a copy of Islam's holy book in his back yard in December 2015. He then posted the video on the anti-Islamic Facebook group, "Yes to freedom - no to Islam" along with the words, “Consider your neighbour: it stinks when it burns."

Danish prosecutor Jan Reckendorff announced his decision to bring charges in a press statement issued on Wednesday afternoon.

“It is the prosecution's view that circumstances involving the burning of holy books such as the Bible and the Quran can in certain cases be a violation of the blasphemy clause, which covers public scorn or mockery of religion.”

Laughable, really. I thought western countries would have gotten rid of blasphemy laws but I guess I was wrong.

if there happens to be a gofundme account for him to help with fees someone post here. he understand whats going on and ill help him if he needs it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    -Insert meme picture of republican unable to choose between: 'Leftists are violent, see recent riots' vs. 'There is no violent anti-Trump uprising'-
    I am talking about your own words, right after Trump won, when you were promising violent uprising.

Actually, every basic law and every western constitution protects the right for religion. Which includes protecting its temples and holy books.

I dont see anything wrong about that.
    The right for religion doesn't mean a right to silence criticism. Every democratic constitution values free speech and exchange of ideas.

I don't know this guy, for all I know he's likely to be a biggot. Also, I'm a critic of religions (but I wouldn't burn a holy book for the life of me). Yet this kind of behavior shouldn't be met with a judicial response, simply let people ostracize him for his biggotry.

In any case even if condemned he can appeal, up to the European Court of Human Rights which would likely give him some protection (although that's uncertain, sadly in the EU free speech doesn't get the same level of protection as it does over the pond).

People have a right to destroy their own property.

So if you burn a marvel comic book there you could be charged with blasphemy? Seems harsh to get charged for anything considering we are talking about make believe shit here.

I've thrown at least a couple bibles in the trashcan not because it's horseshit(it is) but because I didn't need garbage like paper taking up my limited amount of space.

If the guy had burned a bible next to the killran do you think anyone would have given a shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

10+ Year Old Account
    I think blasphemy is a stupid law, if you want to burn a Bible or a quaran or something, that person should have the right to. It's like the people who think burning flags should be illegal, it may be a bit disrespectful, but shouldn't be illegal.
    Oh well though, this guy broke a law and got sentenced for it.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    What the fuck? Why does that stupid law even continue to exist in any westernised country? Hope he's got a good lawyer, it'd be a disgrace to imprison someone for that goddamn law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    So if someone claims thier religion is jedi and i burn a starwars book will i get charged? Who decides what book full of fairytales is included? This is a bullshit law protecting imaginary people.
    Probably the same people that also decides which religion doesent pay taxes, like in the US.

Doesn't Europe have Western Enlightenment ideals? Guess not...

7+ Year Old Account
    No, but the holy books of a religion are the property of the religion and their believers.

In our country, holy books are protected under the blashpemy law. And, considering our history, burning these books is seen as violating our blasphemy law.