Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The 1600X is probably a much better choice for gaming and performance per dollar in general. Guaranteed to be a better overcloker too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalodrei View Post
    7700k is getting slaughtered in multithreading by R7 1700 , even if 7700k is 10-15% faster in single thread perfomance it wont make any major diference.New games will make better use of more cores,most games are console ports, AMD cpus and gpus are used in PS and XBOX. Also r7 1700 is 65W vs 91W (7700k) TDP. Going with RYZEN is the best option atm. Not to mention you need to delidde 7700k to OC it.
    I wouldn't be to happy about 1700's 65W TDP. It's what's limiting it.

IMO it depends on what GPU and or monitor you go for, as GPU's are the limiting factor in most gaming pc's, I know that for wow you can make do with something relatively weak, if you are going to play at 60hz 1080p the 1700 should be good enough and seeing that a lot of recent games tend to like a lot of cores it should only get better.

Skylake i7 6700k already beats sandy bridge i5 2500k in certain games by 100% with a titan x pascal (at stock speeds) but that's only usefull if you can actually see the frames.

Some single core and multicore tests:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800...hmarks-leaked/

7700k is the king when it comes to single thread performance, but gets obliterated in multi threaded tests.

Who would've thought having double the threads would almost double the cinebench performance? Crazy, isn't it?
    Again, R7 is not aimed at 1151 cpus but 2011-v3.

Deleted
    If I'm honest, just how many games being made still use single thread performance?

Only old games care about that and the IPC improvements from Ryzen and the performance difference from Kaby lake would be indistinguishable, on the WaN show last night, they even said, people wouldn't tell the difference between Haswell 1150 and Kabylake, I agree with this.

If you only play old games, then theres no reason to upgrade anything at all, if you want to utilise software from now and the future, get the R7, if its cheaper, I will be surprised in a real world game people will be able to tell the difference between these 2 CPU mid game, WoW maybe the limiting factor, but with this IPC you won't tell the difference.

btw for the intel minded peeps http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-...en-processors/

reductions are already here at some stores

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I've been an Intel camp person 'until I saw some retail benchmarks' and Intel still seems to lead in Performance per Dollar on the ~250 segment in single.... But those multithread results these days...

Five years ago I would have said multi-core performance means very little, but nowadays, it actually is being seen used on more and more games. Maybe not WoW, but notably more. Color me impressed.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I know I've been an Intel camp person 'until I saw some retail benchmarks' and Intel still seems to lead in Performance per Dollar on the ~250 segment in single.... But those multithread results these days...

Five years ago I would have said multi-core performance means very little, but nowadays, it actually is being seen used on more and more games. Maybe not WoW, but notably more. Color me impressed.
    You are right, also people really need to start taking a look at minimum requirements for NEW games these days, mass effect is asking for an I5 3470, thats a true quad core at its minimum, more and more devs are using UE4 which is modern as it gets.

We are starting to see more games coming from console ports that are performing a lot better these days and the consoles are all 8 core CPUs, weak as fuck CPUs but multicore non the less, the days of a game being made with only using a single core is over in my opinion, no AAA developer is going to make a game that doesn't use multicore more now.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    btw for the intel minded peeps http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-...en-processors/

reductions are already here at some stores
    This is what I like to see. It's strange though because, up here in Canada, processors like the 6600k (and I assume the 7600k) would be listed for something ridiculous like $370 but constantly being on sale so I wonder how this'll effect that pricing scheme. Retailers could stand to drop the price per Intel's change, remove the sale and make more or less the same as before.

If the i7-7700K really hit less than $400 CAD then that would be a hard decision to make.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-02-25 at 03:44 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Intel is still going to be miles ahead for gaming for at least 3-4 years. After that you can safely assume you will upgrade at least once.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Intel is still going to be miles ahead for gaming for at least 3-4 years. After that you can safely assume you will upgrade at least once.
    not really , people livestream these days or record videos for youtube etc ,RYZEN will perform much better than Intel cpus at the same price range or more .

Well streaming isnt that demanding, the demo AMD did with that is not accurate as ive livestreamed more bitrate intensive games than they showcased with no frame drops or stuttering with a measly 2500k. Youtubers tho and video encoding, ryzen is a no brainer decision.

Translation from a recent donanimhaber video:
    “Overclocking hasn’t been a problem at all. Although we can’t announce specifics regarding frequencies due to NDA I can say that the results are impressive and overclockers will be pleased”
    “With our overclocked 1800X sample cooled by the Noctua unit AMD provided in the reviewer’s kit we managed to surpass the 7700K in single threaded performance and the temperatures were great. We had no concerns about the temperatures.”
    “You can achieve a good overclocking result with one click and you don’t even have to bother with manually overclocking/tuning.”
    “It seems ironic yes, but with an auto-overclock the 1800X has no competition. Not even Intel’s 10 core 6950X can keep up with it.”
    “According to the performance we’re seeing we can say that the 7700K will be history, even for gaming.”
    For those unaware, donanimhaber is one of the world's premiere, and most trusted, hardware review sites.
    Ordo ad chao

Ya that's complete BS.

This line especially:
    According to the performance we’re seeing we can say that the 7700K will be history, even for gaming
    For this to be true the chip they had on hand would have to hit 5.2ghz, and that isnt happening.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the build i decided with (without mobo/cpu in it) if i decide to go with ryzen:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 EX 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($132.94 @ B&H)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING X 3G Video Card ($224.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $692.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-25 21:24 EST-0500

I was gonna go RGB but meh, i dont want to deal with all that software and id probably be over it in a week. Plus the best value x370 board is an asrock which has a red color theme and looks really nice, this one here:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-758-_-Product

We just got 12 inches of snow and yes, ive been bored lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalodrei View Post
    not really , people livestream these days or record videos for youtube etc ,RYZEN will perform much better than Intel cpus at the same price range or more .
    All of this you listed is not gaming.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas666 View Post
    1With our overclocked 1800X sample cooled by the Noctua unit AMD provided in the reviewer’s kit we managed to surpass the 7700K in single threaded performance and the temperatures were great. We had no concerns about the temperatures.”
    2You can achieve a good overclocking result with one click and you don’t even have to bother with manually overclocking/tuning.”
    3It seems ironic yes, but with an auto-overclock the 1800X has no competition. Not even Intel’s 10 core 6950X can keep up with it.”
    4According to the performance we’re seeing we can say that the 7700K will be history, even for gaming.”
    1 Maybe a 7700k at stock speeds. Otherwise I call BS. There's no way Ryzen is going to beat a 7700k at 4.8 - 5.0. Just not going to happen.
    2 Many Mobo's can already do this so not surprising. Though the software does look intriguing.
    3 Not much of a secrete that the 6900 and 6950 don't OC that well. I'll call this possible.
    4 lololol111ol1ol1. I mean I know the hype is real. But good lord, come on.

CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 EX 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    I might reconsider that part. I have the 360 version. It's loud and temps are... meh... on my 4790k at 4.6. The included fans are junk and the pump has this annoying "tinning" to it. Does look cool. So there's that.
    Last edited by ovm33; 2017-02-26 at 03:44 AM.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

@ovm33 are you sure you have the EX version? I watched a few reviews on it, and it is apparently a lot better than the original.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need to see gaming benchmarks on the r5 models before we know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    While the i7 could be better atm for gaming, in 4 years maybe the 1700 will be. Its going to be a hard choice either way. Hoping the Ryzen chips clock to the 4.5ish range.
    IN 4 years I will have built 2 more new rigs. The one in my sig now was an upgrade from an i7-4790k with all the same specs this one has. IF all of your hardware is current most users wont see enough of a difference to matter. Video rendering you may shave 4-6 mins off an hour long project.

The demo they were showing at the AMD event of the i7-7700k struggling to stream a game was GROSSLY misleading as a simple trip to twitch can debunk that. New I7 is smooth as butter while live streaming while on max game settings for AAA titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    @ovm33 are you sure you have the EX version? I watched a few reviews on it, and it is apparently a lot better than the original.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-079-_-Product

After reading the reviews some apparently leak too. >.>

Well, I had already decided to go back to air. But that's a discussion for another thread.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.