Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Future of Bolvar the Lich King (spoilers)

Thanks to KrazyK923 and the videos he uploaded in other thread we now have complete view in death knight story in 7.2 (and oh boy, its huuuuuge).
    You can watch videos here btw: (the 2nd one is much more interesting)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQ05WmNkZc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_Nn0zAZgM

Look at the most lore-breaking citations.

I have inscribed a series of frozen runes above Acherus. Once attuned, you will be able to communicate with the Lich King more... completely.
    He will be able to show you things you never seen before. <Amal'thazad emits a horrible, rasping noise, that you can only assume is a chuckle.>
    Who is this guy working for? The resemblence to early relations between Kel'thuzad and Arthas is uncanny.

It was here that I saw undead swarming across an icy shelf, seeking a price coveted by Arthas.
    This confirms continuity between previous Lich King and the current. Helm of Domination doesn't only give you powers, it retains memories. The scene from vision was something that actually happened, on orders of Arthas. Bolvar also mentions that the Helm showed him that vision, meaning - Helm posseses memories of Arthas, and decides which ones to show to Bolvar, so its at least semi-concious...

Find a member of the bronze flight, the tenders of history. Do not be merciful.
    That's it. Bolvar-Paladin is gone. By this order, you go and torture a bronze dragon, but it's only the beginning...

A record of their history must lurk somewhere in this sanctum. Spare who you will, or slay them all... the choice is yours.
    By this order, we enter Ruby Sanctum and slay the remaining red dragons, our allies, and Bolvar also manipulates us into making our own decision of killing them, as it's actually impossible to avoid killing during completion of this quest. If you slay all dragons in the sanctum, Bolvar says:

You are empty inside, just like me.
    Uuuuh, okay? (it also suggest you did exactly what Bolvar would do in your position...)

Now, with the notes you get from the sanctum you are able to spot the glacier far north from Icecrown itself. There, you get "stuck", with your food and drink frozen (unable to use them), alone in ice wasteland with feral undead hunting you. And then:

Of course, should you fail to survive, know that I shall claim Acherus for my own. Arthas may have sought revenge on the citadel, but I have... other plans.
    This... just... won't even comment.

At the end, you get a repeat of cinematic of Arthas raising Sindragosa, this time with you in Arthas' place, doing the exact same gesture (even with snow getting blown away) and huge skeletal dragon getting raised as undead.

I don't believe they will let this begin and end within single-class campaign. It's too huge. Death Knight campaign is the most lore-packed of all, the implications are immense. At this point I truly believe we might get WotLK 2.0 in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    The Crown of Domination is bad for you as a person turns out. Just Glad Tirion didn't put it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

I don't think a lot of people notice that, in the vision, Bolvar both isn't frozen, and he is in a brand new throne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Im just hoping it will end with more than "im justified so fuck off, DKs are good just edgy" handling from interested party. Having pallies and priests bust into ICC and cleaning house once again would be nice finish for their own campaigns.

I kind of hope that when the DK player returns from Argus, they discover the lich king has taken over the Ebon Hold, having slowly taken over the minds within with increasing dominance.

Heck, have the Silver Hand and allies than attack, with the Lich King forcing you to kill them until they break his control over you again.

Might also be a good way to reduce the strength of both orders if Blizz wants to remove importance of the Class orders in 8.0.

Wotlk 2.0 would be too tawdry.

Deleted
    This was already debated this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...!!!!!!!/page91

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is this guy working for? The resemblence to early relations between Kel'thuzad and Arthas is uncanny.
    He's a Lich Obviously so being similar to Kel'thuzad isn't surprising.

This confirms continuity between previous Lich King and the current. Helm of Domination doesn't only give you powers, it retains memories. The scene from vision was something that actually happened, on orders of Arthas. Bolvar also mentions that the Helm showed him that vision, meaning - Helm posseses memories of Arthas, and decides which ones to show to Bolvar, so its at least semi-concious...
    That or whoever wears the helm and or gets stored inside the helm, the memories are retained.

That's it. Bolvar-Paladin is gone. By this order, you go and torture a bronze dragon, but it's only the beginning...
    I think he was gone since Legion. He acts far too harshly so not a surprise but definitely a "Say wot now?"

[QUOTE]By this order, we enter Ruby Sanctum and slay the remaining red dragons, our allies, and Bolvar also manipulates us into making our own decision of killing them, as it's actually impossible to avoid killing during completion of this quest. If you slay all dragons in the sanctum, Bolvar says:

Be nice of Alexstraza would say something but Blizzard isn't always the best to connect everything. Still pretty scary this happened.

Uuuuh, okay? (it also suggest you did exactly what Bolvar would do in your position...)

Now, with the notes you get from the sanctum you are able to spot the glacier far north from Icecrown itself. There, you get "stuck", with your food and drink frozen (unable to use them), alone in ice wasteland with feral undead hunting you.

Of course, should you fail to survive, know that I shall claim Acherus for my own. Arthas may have sought revenge on the citadel, but I have... other plans.

This... just... won't even comment.

At the end, you get a repeat of cinematic of Arthas raising Sindragosa, this time with you in Arthas' place, doing the exact same gesture (even with snow getting blown away) and huge skeletal dragon getting raised as undead.

I don't believe they will let this begin and end within single-class campaign. It's too huge. Death Knight campaign is the most lore-packed of all, the implications are immense. At this point I truly believe we might get WotLK 2.0 in the future.

Well uhhhh.....very disturbing. Thing is they have to do something completely new if anything related to the Undead and Lich King comes up again.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    It is not for class mount?

Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    It is not for class mount?
    Yeah, it is for class mount, the camera angle shifts from the giant skeleton and your class mount appears. Still, the skeleton that is buried in the ice and that you perform the spell upon is huge, Aspect sized, Sindragosa sized.

The class mount seems like a clasic example of gameplay tied into lore. Actually, no single dialogue line in the quest chain even suggests that you go there to get your mount, or that getting such mount would be logical to expect. It just kinda... appears.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I kind of hope that when the DK player returns from Argus, they discover the lich king has taken over the Ebon Hold, having slowly taken over the minds within with increasing dominance.
    That would be incredibly stupid of the Lich King though. He doesn't even have an army like Arthas had, and openly showing everybody what he's up to would be, well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll probably turn on him, I mean the concept of class specific things is a Legion thing, so they'll resolve it one way or another, and the most likely one is the Ebon Blade including the player finding a way to stop communication with him. And in the future (not Legion), the Helm of Domination is something that needs to be dealt with, because no matter who puts it on, it will royally fuck you up.

Deleted
    I don't think he can carry an expansion on his own, for starter.

I mean, I don't mind an undead themed expansion myself, but seriously how would that be accomplished without it feeling like an exact copy of WotLK?

As a result, I think he will be a side villain in an expansion at most. Possibly getting his own raid tier too, but that's it I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Kalec View Post
    I don't think he can carry an expansion on his own, for starter.

I mean, I don't mind an undead themed expansion myself, but seriously how would that be accomplished without it feeling like an exact copy of WotLK?

As a result, I think he will be a side villain in an expansion at most. Possibly getting his own raid tier too, but that's it I think.
    If he wasn't turning all evil and iconic Lich King I could see a Scourge Civil War start up by Kel'thuzad to lead the Undead and Bolvar is our friend in this instance. Since that isn't the case, who knows at this point.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Im just hoping it will end with more than "im justified so fuck off, DKs are good just edgy" handling from interested party. Having pallies and priests bust into ICC and cleaning house once again would be nice finish for their own campaigns.
    Honestly, with the way the dk/pally/priest thing has been so far I'm starting to think letting the Legion win wouldn't be so bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    If he wasn't turning all evil and iconic Lich King I could see a Scourge Civil War start up by Kel'thuzad to lead the Undead and Bolvar is our friend in this instance. Since that isn't the case, who knows at this point.
    I was at fault of this thinking about him being an 'ally' at one point ever since I saw the ending video of Icecrown Citadel during WotLK. It suddenly dawned on me during Cataclysm and out of no where that we were 'running out of villains' (remember that this was before MoP was announced), and at the same time that I was heavily neglecting what we knew about the Helm of Domination at the time, so I imagined he will make an appearance at one point.

I just did not expect that the death knight players will end up being in direct touch with him again at one point, and now I am leaning towards him being a recurring villain. That all said, I do not mind if he was an expansion final villain if they pulled it right. They pulled out two and a half expansion mainly about the Burning Legion with unique (albeit not always good) story lines, so everything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Yeah, it is for class mount, the camera angle shifts from the giant skeleton and your class mount appears. Still, the skeleton that is buried in the ice and that you perform the spell upon is huge, Aspect sized, Sindragosa sized.
    So, i fell for the click bait I thought there was actual lore or a bigger story. But in the end is just a mount quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the Bolvar incarnation of the Lich King is definitely a light (or a shadow, if you prefer) flung into the future of WoW. Not an expansion in and of itself, per se - more a continuing thread or a vine that will eventually give forth its own rancid, putrescent fruit. I really like how all of the Class Orders are beginning to flesh themselves out as their own subfactions within the greater faction conflict of Warcraft, and I feel the Death Knights are the standard-bearers of that continuing movement. The threads of conflict established by the Death Knights of Acherus through their "benefactor" the Lich King will make for interesting story fodder further down the line.

The more I hear or read Bolvar's continuing story the more sure I become that he is mostly definitely not a force for good in Warcraft, although I don't think he's in the outright villainous model yet either. Perhaps once we know more of his intentions, which hopefully will be revealed in future quest-chains or events.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think the Bolvar incarnation of the Lich King is definitely a light (or a shadow, if you prefer) flung into the future of WoW. Not an expansion in and of itself, per se - more a continuing thread or a vine that will eventually give forth its own rancid, putrescent fruit. I really like how all of the Class Orders are beginning to flesh themselves out as their own subfactions within the greater faction conflict of Warcraft, and I feel the Death Knights are the standard-bearers of that continuing movement. The threads of conflict established by the Death Knights of Acherus through their "benefactor" the Lich King will make for interesting story fodder further down the line.

The more I hear or read Bolvar's continuing story the more sure I become that he is mostly definitely not a force for good in Warcraft, although I don't think he's in the outright villainous model yet either. Perhaps once we know more of his intentions, which hopefully will be revealed in future quest-chains or events.
    I do think Blizzard could do with making more new villains. It served them well in Mists.

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I do think Blizzard could do with making more new villains. It served them well in Mists.
    Lei Shen, despite how amazing he was, had a lot of wasted potential.

Deleted
    I have to go with the *noLK2.0" sayers. I don't believe it can carry another expansion without disappointing many players. But I do see that the lich king could play a major role in another expansion- kind of what Illidan does in Legion. Perhaps we (players) will face a enemy- someone that the LK also would like to get rid of ? A enemy that wants to destroy or take ctrl over the scourge.