Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Least Leg Dependent Mage Spec?

Im done at max for Fire and will begin grinding up off spec. Since I do not have the bracers yet for fire, I need to leave my loot spec to fire so Im looking for which spec is the LEAST dependent on that spec's BiS legs for reasonable DPS: Frost or Arcane.

I have all the other toys: 6/6 Heroic+ T19, BiS trinkets etc.

thanks

Frost has the same stat priority as fire, so I would think that would be your best choice.

from what i can tell frost is incredibly meh. so id say your best bet is arcane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Floppin View Post
    from what i can tell frost is incredibly meh. so id say your best bet is arcane.

You should check wowlogs again, frost is dominating ST and cleave.

Deleted
    Go for Frost. U will have Frost for ST fights, and Fire for aoe.

Go frost, arcane is similar to fire in terms of st and aoe so having 2 specs that have about the same dps for st and aoe isn't a great deal, frost is stronger on st and cleave and weak on skorpy tichondrius and aluriel
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Arcane is the least dependant. Though.. with Frost you can do really good DPS with bad legendaries. It's just when you get the good Frost legendaries, your dps will shoot trough the roof.

Frost, specifically the Glacial Spike spec.

However, what it lacks in terms of Legendary Requirements, it 'makes up' in terms of relics and Artifact Level.
    You're going to want Frostbolt damage relics (all 3) and at least a 45+ weapon before it REALLY picks up.

But then it really does.

I decided to dump all my excess AP into Frost as it does seem a more natural pair with a main Fire spec. With the leg targeting system in 7.2, I can probably snag one of the Frost BiS legs and call it day.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyliria View Post

However, what it lacks in terms of Legendary Requirements, it 'makes up' in terms of relics and Artifact Level.
    You're going to want Frostbolt damage relics (all 3) and at least a 45+ weapon before it REALLY picks up.

But then it really does.
    U are trolling right??? xD
    Anyway, frost with thermal void is sick for mythic progress and dps checks. I'm simming 745k with my mage using prydaz and kil jaedens (swithing from fire) - so if you get the right legendaries and some good relics (not with frostbolt damage xD) you will dominate the damage meter

Quote Originally Posted by Eyliria View Post

But then it really does.
    wut. Playing Frost without Thermal Void is the worst shit ever.

With Thermal Void though. Damage is amazing in ST and/or 2 target cleave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorproc View Post
    Anyway, frost with thermal void is sick for mythic progress and dps checks. I'm simming 745k with my mage using prydaz and kil jaedens (swithing from fire) - so if you get the right legendaries and some good relics (not with frostbolt damage xD) you will dominate the damage meter
    Without right legendaries u are not playing TV. If you got 50+ traits, mastery and 900ish i lvl play GS. It goes easily 700k+ ST and really high 2 target cleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragotus View Post
    Without right legendaries u are not playing TV. If you got 50+ traits, mastery and 900ish i lvl play GS. It goes easily 700k+ ST and really high 2 target cleave.
    If you have Shard + anything, you can play TV. If you have Vashj + anything, you can play TV. If you have Mag + anything, you can probably play TV.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Go frost, arcane is similar to fire in terms of st and aoe so having 2 specs that have about the same dps for st and aoe isn't a great deal, frost is stronger on st and cleave and weak on skorpy tichondrius and aluriel
    Frost really isn't weak on skorpy and tich though. It's not as good at padding adds on skorp as fire but that really doesn't matter. It dominates fire for ST damage and is serviceable (blizzard+orb) on bats for tich. Fire is better for padding but frost is better at what matters in NH. It also isn't dogshit without the right legendaries like fire is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kzn View Post
    If you have Shard + anything, you can play TV. If you have Vashj + anything, you can play TV. If you have Mag + anything, you can probably play TV.
    I have norgannon, koralon, sephuz, prydaz and belo'vir. TV suffers quite a bit without Vashj. I'd even go so far as to say that if you have shard but not Vashj, go GS over TV.

Deleted
    I would suggest frost. Simple as that.

I find myself doing better numbers on ST as GS Frost over Fire even tho i have Head/Bracers. Running GS Frost for ST and Fire for AoE in NH. Switching on bosses

Quote Originally Posted by seniorproc View Post
    No, I'm really not.
    I dont have Shard or any frost legendaries. GS does more than TV for me.

Raiding in Legion is like running a marathon. You really need legs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Why 45+? Past 35 it's all linear so 10 more point in that weapon are the same with 10 more point in any weapon.
    The problem is certainly the relic requirement, they really should rethink traits more when some specs have traits that are worth +20-25 ilvls . . .
    What makes it superior is the fact that it first buffs ur frostbolt and then it buffs also ur GS so you get twice the benefit.

45+ is because GS specifically benefits twice from these traits, hence their impact is high.
    The relic thing is also specific to GS frost. In fire they are much evenly balanced. Even in TV frost, if you don't go for near-endless IV.