Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    that sounds all kinds of fucked up. thats brutal.
    It's not so bad in taiwan but the other countries are pretty dire.

Being gay myself and not having come out to some family, YES, IT IS VERY MUCH A THING STILL.

Source: I'm gay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    they think people care, but really no one does.
    Fuck. You. A lot of people still do care and will abandon you if you tell the wrong people.

You're lying to yourself if you think all the anti-LGBT people have died off already.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Being into "Futa" (or being attracted to pretty MTF Transfolk) doesn't make you "Bi". Orientation is about attraction. Now if you find feminine women and masculine men both attractive, then you're definitely "Bi". And that's OK.
    I'm definitely bi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Fuck. You. A lot of people still do care and will abandon you if you tell the wrong people.
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to people who come out publicly. Some actor announces he/she's gay at <award's show>, no one gives a fuck. They are not "brave", unique or special because of it. As far as family, etc, while I do sympathize, if people can't accept you for who you are, fuck them. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I'm definitely bi
    Fair enough!

I'm pretty sure he's referring to people who come out publicly. Some actor announces he/she's gay and <award's show>, no one gives a fuck. They are not unique or specially because of it.
    They didn't specify, so I'm not so sure about that. Regarding celebrities, only gossiping idiots who actually follow-and-care about celebrities will care, but yeah they won't give a shit.

As far as family, etc, while I do sympathize, if people can't accept you, fuck them. Period.
    I 100% agree, which is why I've only told family I really care about and know they won't blab to the other bits of family that would estrange themselves for me just because I like men, one of them being my father who still helps a lot with insurance and whatnot. If I didn't need him at all though, I wouldn't really give a fuck.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    So I told my niece about this thread...she deals with homeless people all the time, its what she does...she says most kids on the streets are kids who came out and got kicked out of their homes. What kind of parent would disown their own child?

People might not consider it a negative thing, but it definitely changes peoples perceptions of you when they find out you're gay. Stereotyping is still a thing, and I'm pretty it's just part of human biology to make assumptions about someone using what superficial information you have before getting to know them (so stereotyping will always be a thing).

Perceptions are extremely important sometimes, such as when doing job interviews, or when being considered for a promotion.

I just googled 'lgbt pay gap' and found three links to three different studies, all of which found that gay men were payed less than heterosexual men, sometimes fairly significantly (30% less):
    - American study: https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...nder-wage-gap/
    - Canadian study: https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ge-gap/396074/
    - Australian study: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-e...27-13qmxk.html

Interestingly, lesbian women earnt more than hetereosexual women in all three of these studies as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    So I told my niece about this thread...she deals with homeless people all the time, its what she does...she says most kids on the streets are kids who came out and got kicked out of their homes. What kind of parent would disown their own child?
    The problem is you started this thread thinking that the US would be okay with this by now. What you failed to take into consideration is that we have just as many anti-lgbt religious zealots waiting to damn them to hell as anywhere else. The only difference is that here the person coming out isn't likely to be killed because of it.

I think that is factually wrong, since a lot of people care about even more mundane things and throw a hissy fit if it doesn't go there way. Disapointed parents are probably more common than anything else. If you are a famboyant gay dude with rainbows coming out of your ears then probably everyone expects it. If you don't fit that, then there are probably quite a few that will be surprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    The problem is you started this thread thinking that the US would be okay with this by now. What you failed to take into consideration is that we have just as many anti-lgbt religious zealots waiting to damn them to hell as anywhere else. The only difference is that here the person coming out isn't likely to be killed because of it.
    I actually went into this thread with a canadian mindset. probably not the smartest thing to do.

The Right seems to care a whole bunch.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear you guys. Seems so ridiculous now. its 2017.
    Might surprise you, but homophobia still exists. Like a whole lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Might surprise you, but homophobia still exists. Like a whole lot.
    eh, in some places. Well, I guess in most places, but it's pretty low magnitude

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah...it shouldnt matter, it didnt to my family and friends, but some of these posts make me appreciate my position, then again there's some i havent told my family lol...like specifics, FTM dominatrix furry, is the man i'm after...just seems like it would be tmi for them lol...maybe one of them will read this spying on me, and not know whether to say anything to me.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    High risk of killing your social life and your professional career if you do it here.
    A lot of CEO's, and Owners of business's have come out (Tim Cook, CEO AAPL etc etc) - it has had no affect on anything what so ever. If I was BI/Etc though in the USA, I wouldn't come out though.. so I agree with your statement as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtel View Post
    People might not consider it a negative thing, but it definitely changes peoples perceptions of you when they find out you're gay. Stereotyping is still a thing, and I'm pretty it's just part of human biology to make assumptions about someone using what superficial information you have before getting to know them (so stereotyping will always be a thing).

Perceptions are extremely important sometimes, such as when doing job interviews, or when being considered for a promotion.

I just googled 'lgbt pay gap' and found three links to three different studies, all of which found that gay men were payed less than heterosexual men, sometimes fairly significantly (30% less):
    - American study: https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...nder-wage-gap/
    - Canadian study: https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ge-gap/396074/
    - Australian study: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-e...27-13qmxk.html

Interestingly, lesbian women earnt more than hetereosexual women in all three of these studies as well.
    This just in! Liking women increases your wages!

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends on your environment. In some families, its no big deal. In others it can be quite hard to do, so for those in that unfortunate situation, "coming out" can be difficult. As a general culture in the US though, it isn't generally as bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have mad respect for all you guys out there.

Its probably along the same lines of of difficult as admitting one voted for Trump.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

It seems to still be a thing.....

Obviously, I don't think it will stop being a thing until everyone on this forum is dead to be honest. Millenials are probably the first generation where the majority don't care, but not an extreme majority, plenty still hate gays.
    X