Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-079-_-Product
    After reading the reviews some apparently leak too. >.>
    Well, I had already decided to go back to air. But that's a discussion for another thread.
    Honestly, I'd only even buy an AIO from Corsair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    IN 4 years I will have built 2 more new rigs. The one in my sig now was an upgrade from an i7-4790k with all the same specs this one has. IF all of your hardware is current most users wont see enough of a difference to matter. Video rendering you may shave 4-6 mins off an hour long project.

The demo they were showing at the AMD event of the i7-7700k struggling to stream a game was GROSSLY misleading as a simple trip to twitch can debunk that. New I7 is smooth as butter while live streaming while on max game settings for AAA titles.
    OP said he/she might not update it for 6 or 7 years. In 4 or 5 more than 4 cores could be standard. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    OP said he/she might not update it for 6 or 7 years. In 4 or 5 more than 4 cores could be standard. Who knows.
    In 6-7 years everything on the market today will be unable even to run any AAA titles, forget streaming.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Ya i keep my PC's a long ass time, if not for ryzen lining up with my tax returns id probably use this 2500k rig til it took a shit. Just good timing so i can sell it off before that happens.

And thunder, my 2500k is 6 years old it obviously can game and stream just fine, not even 70% CPU usage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-079-_-Product

After reading the reviews some apparently leak too. >.>

Well, I had already decided to go back to air. But that's a discussion for another thread.
    I don't really read reviews, most negative ones are from user error. Ill give the 240ex a shot and if it blows dick ill return for a kraken x62.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    And thunder, my 2500k is 6 years old it obviously can game and stream just fine, not even 70% CPU usage.
    Well I'm talking heavy AAA titles, not some stuff like DOTA 2 (which AMD for some reason claims to be hard to stream) or CS:GO.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Who would've thought having double the threads would almost double the cinebench performance? Crazy, isn't it?
    Again, R7 is not aimed at 1151 cpus but 2011-v3.
    AMD is not aiming to compete in direct GHz or core/thread count comparisons they are competing at price points. At the R7 1700 price point its directly pitted against the 7700k. 1700X and 1800x are pitted against 2011-v3 socket parts.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Deleted
    Just wait and see. At the End things like Cinebench Scores are useless. A 6700K beats a 6950X for Gaming, even though it crushes it in Cinebench. So Multithreaded Performance is pretty useless because no Games make much use of anything more than 4 Cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirilla View Post
    A 6700K beats a 6950X for Gaming
    If this was 2015, sure.. But new games do benefit hugely from multithreading even past 8 threads, so nope it doesn't. core-count-vs-frequency-what-matters-for-gaming

Now ofc if you play games with old engines like WoW, then yes 6700K will beat a 6950X by a landslide. Overall though in the current gaming market, it's pretty even. Just it doesn't make any sense getting a 6950X, due to it's cost, so the 6700K is the logical choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    If this was 2015, sure.. But new games do benefit hugely from multithreading even past 8 threads, so nope it doesn't.

Now ofc if you play games with old engines like WoW, then yes 6700K will beat a 6950X by a landslide. Overall though in the current gaming market, it's pretty even. Just it doesn't make any sense getting a 6950X, due to it's cost, so the 6700K is the logical choice.
    Wrong! Look at fucking Benchmarks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwwaVGUFtk

Unless you manage to OC a 6950X to the same Coreclock as a 6700K you get less FPS in 99.9% of Games!

Same will be probably true for Ryzen CPUs. Its all about Single-Core Performance because in most Games, most load is on Core0!
    Last edited by mmoce85812363d; 2017-02-26 at 02:14 PM.

Ya i keep my PC's a long ass time, if not for ryzen lining up with my tax returns id probably use this 2500k rig til it took a shit. Just good timing so i can sell it off before that happens.
    Just curious, where do you plan to sell it and how much are you expecting for it? I'd have expected you to just keep it in a closet as backup.

15+ Year Old Account
    All of this bickering over opinions ....

Wait until the 28th, reviewers are going to have reviews up on the new Ryzen chips. I have watched the leaks, and Im sure for the most part they are legit, just remember that AMD is good at hyping their products.

However, a 8/16 thread cpu is not going to run better than a 4/8 or 4/4 in gaming. The 6950X is a dog in gaming compared to i5 7600k or a i7 7700k. My thought is speculation on tghe new AMDs, but there is a reason that the i5 k series are the go to gaming chip, Im not going to go into that argument again but you are more than welcome to read about it on the net.

If you want Ryzen, I would wait for the 4/8 or 6/12 cpus, if you dont want to wait, get the Kaby. The newest ones to release is AMDs way of making those who are impatient spend some money on something they wont be using.

Remember the whole FX "more cores is better" fiasco in 2010...how did that work out? Ryzen at best will be a side grade, maybe a bit better than Intel but you also have to remember, AMDs current chipsets arent that reliable either.

If it were me, I would wait a few weeks, see what transpires and maybe Intel will lower some prices, they usually dont, but you never know.

If this was 2015, sure.. But new games do benefit hugely from multithreading even past 8 threads, so nope it doesn't. core-count-vs-frequency-what-matters-for-gaming

You can literally count 2 games that do: GTA V and Battlefield I. End of the list.

Wait for non-owner generated benchmarks and a good number of them come out. Right now we only have the data on the 7770k. The AMD stuff is pretty much only the hand crafted benchmarks from people that have a vested interest in it being best.

Wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chipsets have a lot to do with it too. the z170 and now z270 chipsets will generally offer better gaming performance than the x99.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Wait until the 28th, reviewers are going to have reviews up on the new Ryzen chips.
    Except that reviews won't be up until March 2nd, the same day Ryzens are available.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirilla View Post
    Wrong! Look at fucking Benchmarks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwwaVGUFtk

Unless you manage to OC a 6950X to the same Coreclock as a 6700K you get less FPS in 99.9% of Games!

Same will be probably true for Ryzen CPUs. Its all about Single-Core Performance because in most Games, most load is on Core0!
    I am looking at the benchmarks, the difference between those CPUs is negligible, if I used a 7700K and OCed it from my current 5820K at 4.3 Ghz, I wouldn't notice the difference in the FPS in almost any game.

If you get a CPU that has more cores, is cheaper and would only perform 10 FPS lower then the 7700 K in games when both are reasonably OCed, which do you think is considered the better value?

I would not pay more for only 10 FPS in this scenario when the Ryzen chip would do more outside gaming, people either step outside PC gaming after some time so few core IPC strength CPU is wasted or they take advantage of their systems and start doing other things with their machines, this is where a multicore machine holds its merit and value.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Just curious, where do you plan to sell it and how much are you expecting for it? I'd have expected you to just keep it in a closet as backup.
    Craigslist probably, id take 375 for it if they drive to me. System is:

Antec 300 illusion case
    P67 mobo
    8gb gskill cas 8
    500gb HDD
    EVGA gtx 760 SSC
    520w antec hcg psu
    Windows 10

I think 375 is fair aye?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Except that reviews won't be up until March 2nd, the same day Ryzens are available.
    Is that for sure?

Is that for sure?
    Yes, there is an embargo in place. All the people who got review samples signed it.

- - - Updated - - -

We should probably make a disclaimer for this thread: If you guys have Haswell or newer unlocked i5 or i7, and you use your computer for gaming only (no professional tasks, no streaming) then Ryzen wont offer anything new for you in terms of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Yes, there is an embargo in place. All the people who got review samples signed it.
    Well of course i know that, but what is the date? Ive heard 28th and now the 2nd, which is it lol.

And that isnt exactly correct. Yes if you are gaming on older games going forward these chips will have no benefit to you, but if you are a person who buys new games a lot ryzen is likely going to be a superior choice.

Well of course i know that, but what is the date? Ive heard 28th and now the 2nd, which is it lol.
    I've heard March 2nd, the day chips release.