Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I've heard March 2nd, the day chips release.
    That'd be pretty dam sketchy of AMD if true. 28th is also ridiculous, but at least gives people a couple days to do research and whether they want to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    And that isnt exactly correct. Yes if you are gaming on older games going forward these chips will have no benefit to you, but if you are a person who buys new games a lot ryzen is likely going to be a superior choice.
    If you have a 4-core (which desktop i5s and i7s are) you're not going to get any benefit. Thing is: even if Ryzen is nuts, tramples Intel, takes the lead for years, even then developers dont have any incentive to make their games utilize more cores, simply because the percentage of consumers who have more than 4-core CPUs is gonna be MINIMAL for years to come. Believe it or not, some game developers are still cautious about some of their customers not having dual core CPUs, today.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

If you have a 4-core (which desktop i5s and i7s are) you're not going to get any benefit. Thing is: even if Ryzen is nuts, tramples Intel, takes the lead for years, even then developers dont have any incentive to make their games utilize more cores, simply because the percentage of consumers who have more than 4-core CPUs is gonna be MINIMAL for years to come. Believe it or not, some game developers are still cautious about some of their customers not having dual core CPUs, today.
    Intel is probably going to have the lead for a couple more years, but i think the smart choice is going with a r7 1700 at that price point. Its a future proof kinda thing, and like i said earlier in this thread what if games like WoW have patches down the road that allows it to take advantage of more cores (wow got a dx11 client patch, it surely could get a dx12 one in a few years).

That'd be pretty dam sketchy of AMD if true. 28th is also ridiculous, but at least gives people a couple days to do research and whether they want to spend money.
    Well it's pretty common to do that. Especially considering how hard AMD likes to ride the hype train. They are probably gonna "leak" some stuff, or let someone release something ahead of time.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Have you taken a look at a number of new games minimum requirements?

You need to stop taking a look at games from 2015.

Intel is probably going to have the lead for a couple more years, but i think the smart choice is going with a r7 1700 at that price point. Its a future proof kinda thing, and like i said earlier in this thread what if games like WoW have patches down the road that allows it to take advantage of more cores (wow got a dx11 client patch, it surely could get a dx12 one in a few years).
    For WoW Ryzen is a stupid choice. There is not way Blizzard can make WoW utilize more cores, even if they wanted, it requires them to rewrite the engine, which at this point when WoW is in decline, wont happen. All they can do is offloading some secondary tasks (like sound processing).

Well we dont actually know how high they overclock, so you cant say its a poor choice for WoW yet.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well we dont actually know how high they overclock, so you cant say its a poor choice for WoW yet.
    If the leaks are true it clocks to 4.175 GHz on air and that is not much
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    If the leaks are true it clocks to 4.175 GHz on air and that is not much
    There have been multiple leaks lol. You obviously havent seen the one that deemed the 7700k irrelevant, that is saying they got their sample to at least 4.5-4.6ghz on a single tower noctua air cooler.

We really have no idea yet til the reviews hit.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    There have been multiple leaks lol. You obviously havent seen the one that deemed the 7700k irrelevant, that is saying they got their sample to at least 4.5-4.6ghz on a single tower noctua air cooler.

We really have no idea yet til the reviews hit.
    I have only seen leaks of 4.1-4.175 GHz on air and 5.1 GHz on LN2. But then again it's all leaks and non of them mathers and the real reviews will be on 2 March
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I have only seen leaks of 4.1-4.175 GHz on air and 5.1 GHz on LN2. But then again it's all leaks and non of them mathers and the real reviews will be on 2 March
    It is actually the 28th, seen multiple posts on overclock .net boards confirming.

Depends how much of a hurry you're in, Intels CoffeeLake CPU's come out Q3 this year, i'd say wait for those if your current CPU is sufficient enough to hold out, otherwise I'd get an AMD for now.

Edit: to add to that - make no mistake the AMD CPU's will hold out for a good 3-5 years if you take care of them, they're good CPU's from what it seems, your call really.
    Last edited by Turaska; 2017-02-26 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    lmao that is ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Depends how much of a hurry you're in, Intels CoffeeLake CPU's come out Q3 this year, i'd say wait for those if your current CPU is sufficient enough to hold out, otherwise I'd get an AMD for now.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.... Sorry but no, Coffee Lake won't be here till 2018.

Q3 2017... you funny guy

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post

Q3 2017... you funny guy
    Meh, haven't been following it closely last I read it was Q3 2017.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Except that reviews won't be up until March 2nd, the same day Ryzens are available.
    NDA, Non Disclosure is on the 28th, reviews will land. Hardware released on the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post

Q3 2017... you funny guy
    he's not wrong https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...-release-date/

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah but he actually is..

As that roadmap was altered after Ryzen info and benches started leaking and the Intel president had to address the shareholders and whatnot.
    Coffee Lake already had some difficulties and was later switched to 14nm because of those issues and now it has to spit out a hexa-core.

The only thing you'll get this year is MAYBE a paper launch and an actual hard launch in 2018.
    That announcement was pure damage control for AMD's Ryzen, nothing more, and considering it's prior launch estimation you can't really cut off over half a year without consequences.

Also let me ask you the following:
    When have you ever seen a company say 2H 20XX and it meaning Q3 20XX?
    Every single company making that statement, especially from this time frame, means "Very late Q4 20XX at best".

You're not going to see any new architectures in 2017 from Intel being launched and available.

So basically Broadwell-E freqs.