Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Except it isn't nuanced at all. It IS very clear-cut and simple: you either come here legally, or you don't. If you don't, there are consequences. People who are trying to paint it as nuanced are the ones who are advocating that people should just be allowed to come to the United States via whatever method they please and demand immediate and unconditional asylum/sanctuary/amnesty.
    I would say there is nuance when it comes to those who came to the US as children, brought by their parents. Those people did not exactly have agency to come and for any other crime back then they would be judged by a different standard as adults. As far as I know, they are currently protected by DACA (sp?), but that might be up for grabs soon as well, given that PiP (which filled a similar purpose) was already possibly axed.
    That is the nuance I see, but I do not advocate what you insinuate I do. I simply believe that sending these people back into countries that they likely barely remember, completely uprooting them and taking their jobs in the process, just so that they can try to build a life there while slow US agency get to their application eventually, is a terrible practice. If they are not barred from re-entering the US for 3-10 years, which might come back for most with the new regulations.
    Note that I exclude criminal ones in this, they had their chance. But if you tell me this nuance doesn't exist, explain why.

What i dont get is what is wrong with coming here legally? If you come here, just as anywhere else, legally then you wouldn't put your family, self, and others at risk. This is purely on the illegal not going through the right steps. Don't know them? I'm sure a travel agent or some government official can help.

I'm sure there are harsher laws on illegal immigration in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    I would say there is nuance when it comes to those who came to the US as children, brought by their parents. Those people did not exactly have agency to come and for any other crime back then they would be judged by a different standard as adults. As far as I know, they are currently protected by DACA (sp?), but that might be up for grabs soon as well, given that PiP (which filled a similar purpose) was already possibly axed.
    That is the nuance I see, but I do not advocate what you insinuate I do. I simply believe that sending these people back into countries that they likely barely remember, completely uprooting them and taking their jobs in the process, just so that they can try to build a life there while slow US agency get to their application eventually, is a terrible practice. If they are not barred from re-entering the US for 3-10 years, which might come back for most with the new regulations.
    Note that I exclude criminal ones in this, they had their chance. But if you tell me this nuance doesn't exist, explain why.
    Again, this is a very simple thing to address: you give them a chance to start the process to immigrate legally, just as though they were applying for the first time. As long as they follow the process, and don't break it or miss a step, you allow them to do the right thing and immigrate legally. If they don't pay a fee, or "forget" to fill out a form, they get denied and deported, just as they would if they attempted to immigrate legally the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    not what I said though is it?
    Well in essence. Yes.

Would a better analogy be, "So you would allow someone to come build a house or put up a tent in your front yard?"

In essence, it is all the same.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-02-27 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CuchuCachu View Post
    Have you ever heard the claim that immigrants commit less crime?

It's not really true but even less true when you look at Hispanic immigrants

This calculation was made by dividing the number of Mexican immigrants/non-(Mexican immigrants) in federal/state/local jails by their total population sizes and then comparing the proportion of each population which was in jail. Numbers for the total number of Americans came from the census. The total number of Mexican immigrants was taken from Pew. The number of Mexican immigrants in federal/state/local jail was taken from the Government Accountability Office. The total number of people incarcerated was taken from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Census https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...million-people

Pew http://www.pewhispanic.org/2013/05/0...united-states/

Government Accountability Office http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11187.pdf

Bureau of Justice https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpus13.pdf

Time for some anti-canadian propaganda. -Not embedding because NSFW a bit- Actually just removing, don't want this post taken down for it

- - - Updated - - -

Because crime in a general sense has decreased everywhere. Doesn't mean there cant be a disparity between populations.

Example: crime in Sweden has gone down... here are Sweden's Most Wanted Criminals. All arabic or slavic names

https://www.interpol.int/notice/sear...100/(search)/1
    Explain it with your own words and stop copypasting stuff from the internet. Unless you are named Sean Last.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-02-27 at 01:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CuchuCachu View Post

Because crime in a general sense has decreased everywhere. Doesn't mean there cant be a disparity between populations.

Example: crime in Sweden has gone down... here are Sweden's Most Wanted Criminals. All arabic or slavic names

https://www.interpol.int/notice/sear...100/(search)/1
    Crime has gone up by a few % every year for decades in Sweden, 22% between 2006-2015

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ior08lacc...GkUanzhYa?dl=0

Personally I believe that people who are about keeping illegal immigrants in the country for economic reasons are no better than the Confederates who were pro slavery. In fact, most of these illegals are probably making less compensation wise than most slaves received.

Now figure 3 meals a day is $30 and a night at a crappy hotel is $29. So basically slaves made the equivalent of $60 a day. Most illegals make less than that a day. Tell me again how if you are pro illegal workers that you are not pro slavery. There is a reason why it is illegal, its because slavery is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    Personally I believe that people who are about keeping illegal immigrants in the country for economic reasons are no better than the Confederates who were pro slavery. In fact, most of these illegals are probably making less compensation wise than most slaves received.

Now figure 3 meals a day is $30 and a night at a crappy hotel is $29. So basically slaves made the equivalent of $60 a day. Most illegals make less than that a day. Tell me again how if you are pro illegal workers that you are not pro slavery. There is a reason why it is illegal, its because slavery is illegal.
    Is this real life?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    So if I made a study that showed selling meth pumped money into the economy it would be ok?

- - - Updated - - -

It is exactly what you said. "They have as much of a right to live somewhere as anyone else"
    There's a bigger picture with my study. Meth is a drug which needs to be dealt with by the authorities.

Again, people conveniently forgetting about the "illegal" qualifier in illegal immigration. Illegal immigration is NOT the same thing as legal immigration. Anyone who says they are, are either extremist white supremacists, or liberals who are trying to make them synonymous so they can release misleading reports like this that appear to make one argument when it's really making a different argument entirely.
    Legal immigration is very relevant re: the travel ban.

The OP's article is specifically about illegal immigrants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If you want to live here, awesome! Come on in - but fill out your fucking paperwork you special fucking snowflake.
    As if it's that easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Explain it with your own words and stop copypasting stuff from the internet. Unless you are named Sean Last.
    As long as the information that he "copypastes" is correct and verifiable, what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    As long as the information that he "copypastes" is correct and verifiable, what is the problem?
    I have no interest on people that just parrot other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    I'm studying in Japan.

I've never felt unwelcome in USA though so can't have been some widespread resistance. On the other hand people who have a fetish for us have been way too friendly.
    There is not much open hostility to Asians in the US because as a result of being banned from entering the country for so long, they are a relatively tiny minority that wield no political power and don't represent much of a demographic threat. If either of these were to change, as they are starting to now that immigration from China is surging in recent years, then you would see a lot more nativist pushback against it.

And honestly, not targeting you specifically, but I find that immigrants who are anti-immigration themselves to be similar to fratboys who defend hazing. Sure, maybe that whole unnecessarily complicated and humiliating process of getting initiated into the fraternity of Americans could be seen as some kind of honorable tradition and character building exercise. But then you grow up and stop being a fucking idiot, and realize that you're basically defending a bunch of drunken douchebags treating you like shit for no good reason just to join their little club, so that some day you too can be an asshole to others trying to get in. If someone just doesn't want to bother with all that shit, can you really blame them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There's a bigger picture with my study. Meth is a drug which needs to be dealt with by the authorities.
    People who cross the borders of countries are preforming an illegal act that needs to be dealt with by authorities as well.

What do they do in Canada when someone illegal is found?

Quote Originally Posted by Gersemi View Post
    I'm familiar with the process. And I have no issue with it - it's our country, we have the right to control the flow of immigration as we see fit. If you think it's too stringent, support immigration reform, don't advocate or encourage ignoring the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Isn't all of this predicated on the idea of them never becoming legal citizens? o.O
    It's predicated on the idea that they and their children will attain citizenship and join mainstream society, necessitating more new immigrants be brought in to fill their old role. This is of course a nativist's nightmare, but this is the reality of how America has operated since the country was founded, and as long as the opportunities are here this is how it will continue to operate.

I'm familiar with the process. And I have no issue with it - it's our country, we have the right to control the flow of immigration as we see fit. If you think it's too stringent, support immigration reform, don't advocate or encourage ignoring the law.
    From a practical perspective, any realistic immigration reform bill would mean amnesty for most illegal immigrants rather than deportation. This is not even a moral issue, it's simply the most efficient way to resolve the current problems. All the GOP's plans will sink so much money into deportation squads and border security that, by the time they're done, we'll be too poor as a country for anyone to want to come here.
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2017-02-27 at 04:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Another faux caring thread by Tennisface.
    Don't judge others.

I do support immigration reform . I wouldn't have the heart to tell a professor that he's allowed in, while the family of four isn't because they aren't skilled, lucky, or wealthy enough. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...s-10959317.php

How wonderful that we have great research like this. It's time to recognize that this issue is not black and white!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31869747

According to an opinion poll in February conducted by pollster GfK, 93% of the people asked said that they were happy that Crimea was under Russian control.
    Such an overwhelming figure might look distinctly Soviet, or even North Korean; but the polling organisation which conducted it was Ukrainian, not Russian.

And even though plenty of people no doubt thought it would be better to give the safe answer, the general sense of peace and quiet on the streets seems to indicate that they accept what has happened.

Russian majority

The demographics of Crimea go a long way towards explaining why things are so calm here a year on.

The most recent figures indicate that something like 60% of the population are ethnic Russians, 25% ethnic Ukrainians, and 12% Crimean Tatars.

How wonderful that we have great research like this. It's time to recognize that this issue is not black and white!