15+ Year Old Account

What if AK also determines max Artifact Level?

An answer to the issue of players feeling forced to do EVERYTHING available to get an edge, subsequentially burning out a lot of cutting edge guilds.
    What if Blizzard made Artifact Knowledge also determine how high your Artifact Level can go?

/DISCLAIMER
    This does NOT CAP how much AP you gain.
    It caps how much you can invest.
    /DISCLAIMER

Illustrative Numbers (Version A):
    Base Max Artifact Level 10 (@AK = 0)
    Max Artifact Level +2 per AK Level

This means AK 25 = Max Artifact Level 60 (25*2 + 10)

Illustrative Numbers (Version B) (thanks to @Nakloh)
    Base Max Artifact Level 35 (@AK = 0)
    Max Artifact Level +1 per AK Level

This means AK 25 = Max Artifact Level 60 (25*1 + 35)

The goal is to prevent/discourage players from overgrinding.

Extra: Why not make AP into a currency?
    You earn it and use the items, adding it to your "pool", and you can then spend it in whichever Artifact you want.

Risk spending AP on the wrong item, holding onto AP items - what is the point of that design?
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-02-27 at 06:41 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Deleted
    If you only restrict the "paragon" traits, sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    If you only restrict the "paragon" traits, sure.
    That could work as well.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!

No

/tenchar

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be an alternative to the exponential increase in price per trait, but not really any point in doing it in conjunction with the price increase. As is (excluding the paragon traits and people that are new), players can't reasonably be too far ahead by farming M+ than those that just log in and do their daily stuff.

Also, then we get to the whole "problem" (Blizzard's term, not mine) of what caps cause; a need to keep up with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    That would be an alternative to the exponential increase in price per trait, but not really any point in doing it in conjunction with the price increase.
    You miss the point.

The exponential price increase won't stop guilds from overgrinding and burning out. It'll just burn them out faster.

All it takes is ONE guild doing it - all others feel like if they don't, they're missing out.

The exponential price increase is there in conjunction with AK to create a way for those behind to catch up.
    My suggestion has a different purpose - health & fun vs compulsion & frustration.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-02-27 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    You miss the point.

The exponential price increase won't stop guilds from overgrinding and burning out. It'll just burn them out faster.

All it takes is ONE guild doing it - all others feel like if they don't, they're missing out.

The exponential price increase is there in conjunction with AK to create a way for those behind to catch up.
    My suggestion has a different purpose - health & fun vs compulsion & frustration.
    That's the thing though. Back at the start of M EN was when a majority of this was happening. One of my guildies was farming TONS of M+ and was part of the top 10 in the West (according to wowprogress) on AP earned. I did maybe 1/3 of the effort that he did. Want to know how many traits behind him I was? 1 (hovered between half to a whole trait behind). You can't brute force the exponential price increase to gain any reasonable advantage.

And so a lot of the loss of fun was due to a lack of understanding of how the system works (and their own/their groups' expectations).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    That's the thing though. Back at the start of M EN was when a majority of this was happening. One of my guildies was farming TONS of M+ and was part of the top 10 in the West (according to wowprogress) on AP earned. I did maybe 1/3 of the effort that he did. Want to know how many traits behind him I was? 1 (hovered between half to a whole trait behind). You can't brute force the exponential price increase to gain any reasonable advantage.
    I never said it makes sense or that it is realistic.
    But competitive environments have people do stupid stuff.

See Black Desert Online - the prime example of a game that promotes 24/7 mentality.
    Lots of burnout everywhere.
    The chance to upgrade gear and experience required to advance levels all grow exponentially tougher.
    Doesn't stop people from grinding 10h straight for a 10% experience increase (and losing their shit when they die and lose hours of "work").
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-02-27 at 06:54 PM.