Thread: Efi Oladele

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    There are good reasons DVa doesn't do this. It would be rather inconsistent to suddenly have combat drones again.
    I don't see the issue personally honestly.

The "respawn" timer could be a "Reassembly" timer instead, and she just quickly builds a new mech or deploys a new one in the time it takes for a normal respawn.

Hell if she is in the spider tank upon defeat it could eject a canister high into the air with her in it, where it flies away until she returns from the spawn point. There are many non-violent resolutions.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Deleted
    Some of you are taking the 'but a child can't die in games' way too serious. Cartoon games where children die do not get special rating because of it.

a) It's not real, so there's no emotional connection to the characters.
    b) It doesn't have an impact on child violence, since it's already out there and was much higher predating the video gaming era.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Some of you are taking the 'but a child can't die in games' way too serious. Cartoon games where children die do not get special rating because of it.

b) It doesn't have an impact on child violence, since it's already out there and was much higher predating the video gaming era.
    What you dont understand is human beings with morals are so adverse to the idea of killing children that even pretending to do it is pretty fucked up and doing it in fiction is only seen as acceptable if the POINT of the action is suppose to be reprehensible.

If you dont "get" that , sounds like a personal problem to me.
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

AAA games generally speaking shy away from this. In most titles where human children are around the place and you can attack NPCs, they are completely immune to combat damage.
    Blizzard is not going to buck this trend.

Games like this just don't do it, that's a fact. 100% positive we won't be playing Efi - it'll be her creation/s.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this talk of killing children and how Blizz won't do it...

Li-Li in HotS says hi. (That being said, I do agree 100% that Efi is not going to be playable in any capacity.)

All i know is CATCHPHRASE
    mr pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    Li-Li in HotS says hi. (That being said, I do agree 100% that Efi is not going to be playable in any capacity.)
    As soon as it's not a human all bets are off, for some reason.
    I guess we only care about our own kids :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    What I am saying is that she doesn't need to be on the battlefield to be on the battlefield, she can be in her bedroom operating the spider tank via remote control. Iron Man has an entire army of armor that shows up and does battle with him or in his place. Iron Man is only limited by his imagination, not resources. If he can imagine it he can figure out how to make it happen.

Effi could be represented by a hologram while she is live on the internet from a bunker. She could have a robot inside a tank that is programmed to do what she would do in combat. People need to stop over reacting and getting triggered so easily over what might happen when they have no clue about whats going to happen. Just wait til Blizz shows us what the character will do.
    I'm assuming that's what they'll do. What I mean by "not on the battlefield" is that her actual person will not be on the battlefield; she won't be running around with a gun, nor will she be in a mech suit like D.Va. Whatever they do, she won't be physically "there".

Whether she's just the designer for her omnic hero, or she's remotely piloting it like a drone, I'm just saying I can't see Blizzard being so clueless as to put her in the field directly.

It's not really the "child" part that's problematic. It's that she's an African child, and Overwatch is a military force. So, if she's jumping in herself, she's literally an African child soldier. That's offensive for reasons that have to do with current world events, and how it would be seen to be normalizing the use of child soldiers in Africa, today. There's no way Blizzard is that stupid.

It would be like making a hero who's obviously Middle-Eastern whose entire kit consists of running up to people and blowing himself up, or something. Just no.

10+ Year Old Account

Again, a game where you smack someone with sparkly magic as viewed from a camera hiked 60 feet into the air is different from one where you would point-blank blast a child in the back of the head with a shotgun accompanied by a burst of blood.

Hell, main stream rated M games don't involve child murder. GTA, Skyrim, Witcher... all games significantly "grittier" and more realistically violent than Overwatch either don't feature children or make them invincible.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

"Magical fireball hitting fantasy panda child in third person" really, really doesn't have the same impact as "shooting an african child in the head in first person". A death in HotS is just about as visceral as a death in Smash Bros.

Overwatch isn't exactly visceral either, but it's got guns and it's in a first-person perspective. Both of which put it in a different league for what kind of deaths are okay.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2017-02-25 at 06:15 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a theory that Efi is Doomfist's daughter, and she created the new robot hero to help her father steal the fist of power. So the next two heroes will be a new robot-tank controlled by Efi (using the controllers so Blizzard will avoid all "killing the girl" thing, we just destroy the robot) and the Doomfist himself. Father/Daughter combo for you.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2017-02-26 at 07:34 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    In a recent interview with Polygon Jeff Kaplan said that Efi will play a part of the next playable character’s story, but the character itself has not been confirmed. While Jeff doesn't specifically state that Efi won't be a hero he more or less implied that she's just a background character with no significance to the gameplay.

So we can pretty much debunk any likelihood of Efi being present in-game, for now at least. Though this does clear up half of the theories so far so we can work on speculating with more chances of making an accurate guess.
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Totally missed this from the first video:

That's great and all, but that takes place well before the events at Numbani.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    That's great and all, but that takes place well before the events at Numbani.
    I just mean that they've been hinting at a spider tank for a while. There was one in the Sombra reveal before this, there's been one in the artbook and one shown at Blizzcon.

Well, everyone around WoW during MoP wanted to kill this major annoyance so yeah, she's not considered as a child, just something you want to kill over and over until nothing remains

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I'm not fussed either way if shes playable or if its a controlled mech,

But you can't use GTA V as a comparison.

GTAV you graphically kill people, torture, gun down, run over, beat the shit out of, stab, explode, hell even light on fire with a jerry can. All of which have animations which is supposed to be as close to the real thing as they can get. For the sake of the argument, we'll leave out the prostitution, drugs, sex, strippers, alcohol etc

Overwatch, yes we're killing the opposite team, but you drop the hp bar to 0 and they drop on the floor. There isn't anything graphic,
    That's exactly my point.

Gta V the ultraviolent game doesn't put any child in it because lawsuits incoming. Why would Blizzard without any M-rated games would risk it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Well, everyone around WoW during MoP wanted to kill this major annoyance so yeah, she's not considered as a child, just something you want to kill over and over until nothing remains

That's exactly my point.

Gta V the ultraviolent game doesn't put any child in it because lawsuits incoming. Why would Blizzard without any M-rated games would risk it ?
    Because if GTA V Incorporated it, it would have to be as bloody and as violent as the rest of the game. I doubt lawsuits, but bad press and pressure to have it banned off the shelf.

If overwatch Incorporated it, it would be the same as every other aspect of the game. True you'd you get blasted for shooting a child, but it wouldn't be bloody or horrifying,

Personally, I think people need to get over it, its a game, fantasy and if something on a video game like overwatch bothers someone, they haven't got their priorities straight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    I just mean that they've been hinting at a spider tank for a while. There was one in the Sombra reveal before this, there's been one in the artbook and one shown at Blizzcon.
    Well yeah, but this thing is a 30 year old museum piece, not something Efi built yesterday.