Forsberg with a hat trick in back to back games. First time that's happened since 2010. The score was much closer than it should have been. Both goals given up by Rinne were tiny tike level softies.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Forsberg with a hat trick in back to back games. First time that's happened since 2010. The score was much closer than it should have been. Both goals given up by Rinne were tiny tike level softies.
    Is Rinne even considered mediocre anymore? A few years ago I felt him, Lundqvist, and Rask were the best goalies outside of Price. Now I don't even know if the Jets GM would want him for free.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Colorado should be unloading their talent before the deadline right? Duchene/Landeskog available? *Drools*

Would love to see the magic Bowman would have to pull off to fit either of those guys on the team. What young D could you trade away for them?

I don't think the Leafs will be going hard after any rentals... and they definitely are not deep enough on D to throw Polak or Hunwick away without already having other D to take their place (I realize how bad Hunlak are outside of the PK, but that's how poor the Leafs' D is).

Shattenkirk has apparently vetoed any sign-and-trade deals with teams that have already inquired (this supposedly includes Edmonton from last year, and Arizona from earlier this year, as well as another mystery team that most analysts are assuming is Tampa). Still going to probably take a 1st + to get him as a rental, seeing the market already taking shape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Is Rinne even considered mediocre anymore? A few years ago I felt him, Lundqvist, and Rask were the best goalies outside of Price. Now I don't even know if the Jets GM would want him for free.
    I don't think he would take him. We might end up trying to acquire the Flower.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Would love to see the magic Bowman would have to pull off to fit either of those guys on the team. What young D could you trade away for them?

I don't think the Leafs will be going hard after any rentals... and they definitely are not deep enough on D to throw Polak or Hunwick away without already having other D to take their place (I realize how bad Hunlak are outside of the PK, but that's how poor the Leafs' D is).

Shattenkirk has apparently vetoed any sign-and-trade deals with teams that have already inquired (this supposedly includes Edmonton from last year, and Arizona from earlier this year, as well as another mystery team that most analysts are assuming is Tampa). Still going to probably take a 1st + to get him as a rental, seeing the market already taking shape.
    St Louis would be luck to get a high end prospect for a free agent blue liner to be honest. I'd prefer if he stay in St Louis for the rest of the season, that was the Leafs can try and sign him without shelling out picks and prospects for him only to have him walk. The biggest risk with rentals that are at his skill level is that they are likely to try for greener pastures if he goes to a team that drops out in the first round. GM's are getting smarter about trading away high end prospects and picks for rentals unless they are one of the few teams that actually legitimately has a shot at winning a Cup. And even then, trading away a 1st round pick and a prospect to get a guy who will only be around for the playoffs (assuming he doesn't get hurt) is a lot to give up when having a deep pool of prospects is the best way to continually build a winning organization.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2017-02-25 at 01:43 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it changes anything, this upcoming draft is pretty bad so 1st round pick isn't something devastating to be missing.

He's definitely not elite that's for sure. Frankly you have the top guys, then the guys under them that are really good but an obvious step down, then you probably have Rinne somewhere in that next group. He can have stretches that he is insanely good, and then others where he is just bad. Right now the opinion of most fans is to ride Saros for the time being. He's not super man, but the team plays totally different in front of him.

Sadly the other day we heard a rumor that came from someone inside the organization that basically said that Rinne is having hip problems again and most signs seem to point to arthritis, although it is possible its something surgery can fix. I think it's why over the last couple of years he has had better stretches the more rest he has had, which really was the total opposite of him before that injury.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Colorado should be unloading their talent before the deadline right? Duchene/Landeskog available? *Drools*
    I know Nashville has tried like hell to get Duchene. They want a ton right now, and I don't blame them. Frankly I see them both probably being moved after the season is over. Duchene really likes Nashville from everything we've been told and wouldn't mind playing here, so hopefully we can work something out. Just not sure Poile is willing to part with what he probably needs to to get him.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    If it changes anything, this upcoming draft is pretty bad so 1st round pick isn't something devastating to be missing.
    That's the sort of thinking that prevents more teams from building dynasties. Look at Detroit, 20 years of good drafting and development made them a powerhouse and a continual contender for so many years, and they didn't continually unload their picks for players in order to win Cups. It's kinda why I don't think the Leafs make a move until the summer. Once they know where they finish and where they are drafting, they will either leverage the pick along with JVR and Bozak into top end defence or just draft another player and continue with what they have.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    That's the sort of thinking that prevents more teams from building dynasties. Look at Detroit, 20 years of good drafting and development made them a powerhouse and a continual contender for so many years, and they didn't continually unload their picks for players in order to win Cups. It's kinda why I don't think the Leafs make a move until the summer. Once they know where they finish and where they are drafting, they will either leverage the pick along with JVR and Bozak into top end defence or just draft another player and continue with what they have.
    Trading a late first round pick to push for a cup won't cost you your future even in good draft years. Chicago trades their first round pick almost every year for key pieces and are the closest thing to being a modern day dynasty. The Red Wings had the benefit of having drafted legends in later rounds. Lidstrom in the 3rd, Federov in the 4th, Datsyuk in the 6th round, Zetterberg in the 7th and on and on. They drafted a whole bunch of busts in round 1 on this legendary playoff streak as well. The last time they missed the playoffs was 1990, and since then they have been without a 1st 9 times and a couple times didn't pick until after the 2nd round was over. Everyone does deadline deals and the fact that the draft next year is going to be weak is all the more reason to pick up a rental player if you're a bubble contender team. In a weak draft those picks from 20-30 are really just glorified 2nd round picks. Would you rather lose in round 2 or 3 because you're missing a key piece and draft someone who might turn out to be an NHL player but the odds are stacked against or would you rather trade a 1st round pick and potentially play in the finals / win the whole thing.

Building a dynasty or even a perennial powerhouse requires a fair amount of luck in addition to acquiring that coveted elite center/winger/D man combo. Chicago doesn't win any of these cups if they don't get lucky with Duncan Keith in the 2nd round that year of his draft. There was a reason he wasn't highly touted. Just like Detroit was very very very fortunate to have drafted one of the best D men of all time in the 3rd god damn round. I don't think there is any method to the madness other than picking high in the right drafts. If Pittsburgh isn't god awful that one season they don't get Crosby. If Edmonton doesn't have inept management for the last however many years, they don't get McDavid. If the Leafs don't tank last year they don't get Matthews.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    In a few years, Chicago will start needing all the picks they can get. Towes, Kane and Seabrook are going to start winding down in their careers, winning multiple championships in a decade is hard, as the rest of the league gets better, drafting the right guys now will help them keep winning down the road, same goes for other potential dynasties like Pittsburgh. When the window is open, you gotta take a chance, but they won't be leaning on the same players in a few more years. It's good to have a core, but that core is really handicapping those teams. I'd hope that Toronto management doesn't overpay guys so that they can actually build a team that can win a Cup and keep doing so for years. 3 guys making almost half of your cap is going to just handicap you from bringing in the players you need to dominate year in and year out.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2017-02-25 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    In a few years, Chicago will start needing all the picks they can get. Towes, Kane and Seabrook are going to start winding down in their careers, winning multiple championships in a decade is hard, as the rest of the league gets better, drafting the right guys now will help them keep winning down the road, same goes for other potential dynasties like Pittsburgh. When the window is open, you gotta take a chance, but they won't be leaning on the same players in a few more years. It's good to have a core, but that core is really handicapping those teams. I'd hope that Toronto management doesn't overpay guys so that they can actually build a team that can win a Cup and keep doing so for years. 3 guys making almost half of your cap is going to just handicap you from bringing in the players you need to dominate year in and year out.
    Toews and Kane have pretty much just entered their prime. They're only 28. I imagine the Hawks will be going for it every year until Toews and Kane are in their late 30s. I wouldn't really consider Seabrook apart of the core at this point, he's probably going to be the odd man out sooner than later. Also, Hawks just got more young kids they drafted the last few years that entered the mix (Hartman, Schmaltz, Kero). I imagine the only acquisition for this years' deadline for the Hawks is Jurco. I can't see them getting a guy like Duchene with the cap situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
    Toews and Kane have pretty much just entered their prime. They're only 28. I imagine the Hawks will be going for it every year until Toews and Kane are in their late 30s. I wouldn't really consider Seabrook apart of the core at this point, he's probably going to be the odd man out sooner than later. Also, Hawks just got more young kids they drafted the last few years that entered the mix (Hartman, Schmaltz, Kero). I imagine the only acquisition for this years' deadline for the Hawks is Jurco. I can't see them getting a guy like Duchene with the cap situation.
    Assuming they both last that long. Injuries take a toll and sometimes they don't really show up til you get a few years down the road. Chicago should be in the thick of things for several years, how many of those years are they more than just a playoff team with no real shot, who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick is back.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ben Bishop, a 5th round pick and a conditional 2017 to LA for Peter Budaj, Eric Cernak and a 7th round pick in 2017.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    We're fuckin back!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Assuming they both last that long. Injuries take a toll and sometimes they don't really show up til you get a few years down the road. Chicago should be in the thick of things for several years, how many of those years are they more than just a playoff team with no real shot, who knows.
    Maaaaaaan you guys had a heart attack of a game again vs another Alberta club! Crazy one this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    We're fuckin back!

- - - Updated - - -

Maaaaaaan you guys had a heart attack of a game again vs another Alberta club! Crazy one this afternoon.
    Yeah and I've been stuck at work all weekend. If you haven't seen them look up the 2 passes Neal had for goals. Dude looked like a play maker not a sniper out there.

Forsberg, just absolutely going crazy with goals right now. Honestly he's mainly getting goals to go in that would bounce the other direction earlier in the year.

Now if we can just figure out how to not let so many in we are good to go. Good to see the guys surging at the right time of the year. I think they said today, that was the 7th straight game at home we had scored 4 or more.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok wtf is going on?

Bishop to the Kings...why? Quick literally just came back, and Budaj wasn't even playing badly to begin with. They just have no faith Quick can stay on the ice?

Martin Hanzal and Ryan White to the Wild for a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and conditional pick that could be another 2nd rounder. This seems like a massive overpay to me? I'll be honest I don't even know who the fuck Ryan White is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
    Panarin is a part of the core. He just got his extension and is one of the most underrated players in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Ok wtf is going on?

Bishop to the Kings...why? Quick literally just came back, and Budaj wasn't even playing badly to begin with. They just have no faith Quick can stay on the ice?

Martin Hanzal and Ryan White to the Wild for a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and conditional pick that could be another 2nd rounder. This seems like a massive overpay to me? I'll be honest I don't even know who the fuck Ryan White is.

- - - Updated - - -

Panarin is a part of the core. He just got his extension and is one of the most underrated players in the league.
    Maybe LA prefers Bishop over Quick or worries Quick will be the next Lupul and want to see what they can get for him? Only logical reason I can consider.

Panarin is most definitely not one of the most underrated players in the league.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe LA prefers Bishop over Quick or worries Quick will be the next Lupul and want to see what they can get for him? Only logical reason I can consider.

Panarin is most definitely not one of the most underrated players in the league.
    Meaning you don't think he's that good, or you think everyone realizes how awesome he is? Because the last page had a lot of posts talking about the Hawks future and about their core and not one mentioned the 25 year old budding star that is the Breadman. It was Toews who made the All Star team, not Panarin. That seems pretty underrated to me.