Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Well, life is a pretty pointless grind too so :<
    Not really. You get out of life what you put into it...I love my job and never feel like I am punching the clock. Also nothing in WoW can compare to the pleasures we can have in this thing called life

From a geological point of view, the function of life is to regulate temperature so that liquid water exists. This is achieved by burying carbon. (Burying the dead). Carbon is pulled out of the atmosphere to create a body which then dies and is buried. The warmer it gets planetwide, the more life there is and the faster carbon gets pulled out of the atmosphere. Then a tipping point is reached and so much carbon has been removed that the greenhouse effect weakens and you get an ice age. The ice age kills life and slows down carbon burial. The sun is slowly getting hotter however and eventually breaks the ice age and it gets warmer. This leads to the next round of increased living activity.

The cycle repeats until we reach a point where pulling all of the carbon out of the atmosphere isnt enuf to cause an ice age. Then earth turns into venus.

This is just the plants were talking about too. Animals pull oxygen out of the atmosphere and add carbon. Animals are just leeching off the system, not helping it.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-02-28 at 12:45 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Is there any video game that is not a pointless grind?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I have no desire to grind for 54 trait (Paragon trait is stupid imo) and I'll wait for it to come naturally.

While u wait to do it naturally Ill get the other new traits....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volendrung View Post
    Is there any video game that is not a pointless grind?
    Halo/Dragons Age

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    Halo/Dragons Age
    Eye of the beholder, I suppose.

7+ Year Old Account
    thats deep man
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    all of wow has been a pointless grind. move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I mean are 70% of the MMO-Champ players Mythic Raiders?
    Given the number of people who've killed a mythic boss (especially if you count EN and ToV) and the number of active accounts on MMO-C it would be possible for everyone here to be a mythic raider. Also, as the devs have alluded to several times, you're more likely to find players who raid or PvP at a reasonably high level visiting a forum to talk about that game.

It's clear that not everyone does raid mythic, but it would not surprise me if the majority of people on this forum have raided the top difficulty at some point in time. Or raided before multiple difficulties was a thing. Sometimes the approach to the game that comes with such things sticks around in people, and even if they don't raid as much as they used to they still approach their characters in kinda the same way.

Deleted
    I quit the game on November 28, 2016. Account is gone, there's no come back. Ever.

I lived a life of a goldmaker. Reached top-tier performance in this, collected nearly every mount in the game (all 17 tcg doe!) and gold capped the account in WOD - 11 millions gold.

Had a lot of fun raiding in T14-T18 too.

Checked out Legion. The expansion turned out to be too much of a strain on my free time and I already had enough of WOW by this point. Legion propably is 9/10 expansion (WOD being an objective 4/10 tops in WOW-specific scale) but that doesn't matter anymore.

I... just can't have fun with WOW anymore. It's like that favorite meal you had 1200 days in a row. No one would endure this.

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    I quit the game on November 28, 2016. Account is gone, there's no come back. Ever.

I lived a life of a goldmaker. Reached top-tier performance in this, collected nearly every mount in the game (all 17 tcg doe!) and gold capped the account in WOD - 11 millions gold.

Had a lot of fun raiding in T14-T18 too.

Checked out Legion. The expansion turned out to be too much of a strain on my free time and I already had enough of WOW by this point. Legion propably is 9/10 expansion (WOD being an objective 4/10 tops in WOW-specific scale) but that doesn't matter anymore.

I... just can't have fun with WOW anymore. It's like that favorite meal you had 1200 days in a row. No one would endure this.
    I reached this point in wrath, by icc i just had enough and was as burnt out as anyone could possibly get i needed a change of game. you just have to let yourself slowly regain that feeling of enjoyment once again, it takes a while to come back but eventually you will remember why you played originally and what made you enjoy it. I played eve online from 09-13 i did finally came back for cata and mop though, although i didn't join a guild and get into progression raiding again, but i still remembered why i liked the game before i burnt out.

I agree yes it is a pointless grind but I do feel wow was always like that. I've been playing on and off since September 2006 a few months before BC came out I got to experience some late vanilla as well. All throughout the expansions you had to grind but you at least knew what dungeon you needed to farm and pray RNG was in your favor. Now with legion that has been turned on its head. In order to make all dungeons/raid content stay relevant they made it impossible to farm a bis pre raid set or a bis raid set before the next tier. Some of doing that stuff was very fun to me I would look up what was the bis gear you could get for your current level of content. Now its just trinket and tier pieces but even then you could titanforge a huge upgrade item just from a world quest or +3 M+. The path of progresson now spans in various ways instead of just one linear path. Some people love it or hate it.

I appreciate that I can gear up easily now with various different methods but I don't appreciate grinding the hard stuff to me ( heroic nighthold pugs etc) getting no loot then going doing a +3-9 for AP or something and getting a titanforge drop that is better than the hours I just spent for no loot in H nighthold. It feels like a slap in the face. I watched someone struggle doing +18s on twitch and then do a +8 for AP to help a friend and they got 895 titanforge shoulders while getting nothing but AP from the +18 1 chest... it kills the sense of progression when there is nothing inside the chest or even on the boss yet you do lower content and wahooo great loot!?...

Deleted
    is it pointless? That depends on whether you're having fun and what your alternatives are. If you are grinding AP and neglecting your social life and RL responsibilities, then it's probably pointless. Nevertheless, that's an entirely subjective assessment that we can't discuss here.

But it is it a grind? Depends on your goals in the game. In my situation it is, and it's pissing me off enough to consider changing my goals:
    I'm a 901 BM Hunter with a great guild, 5/10M with a big core. Fun guys that I connect with. I dinged 110 4 weeks ago, trialed 2 weeks ago. My gear is fine, my Artifact is not. I'm at trait 40 now, with 80 or so M+ done. A measly amount, I have a long way to go, and I'm already completely tired of M+. However, in order to get a progress spot, I need 54 traits. So I have 2 realistic options, because leaving the guild isn't one of them. I've been at it long enough to realize that a good and active guild is priceless.

Option 1: Step down to Social, clear Heroic and old Mythic raids, no commitment. No progress either.
    Option 2: Grind a lot of M+. A lot more than I have done now. People in my guild are at 54 traits in general, so there aren't many guild boosting groups anymore. I need to pug it all and show that I want to commit.

In order to get my 54 traits I am probably spending 3+ hours each evening in M+ for the next 2 weeks, and I still won't be close. I will be running the same dungeons over and over and over. Without a lockout, repeatable instantly.
    Yes, it's a grind. A bad one. Either I commit to the grind, stop raiding or go for option 3 and that is to join a guild of shitters who parse at 23% of their bracket and can't get past Skorpryon, because those guys don't care about a maxed out Artifact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    People who can't stand grinds or repetition shouldn't be playing MMOs in the first place. WoW is not, and will never be, a MMMOBARPG
    It came too close in WoD sadly, and a lingering part of the community that survived that garbage is also the kind of player that is fine with WoW endgame to be 10 hours of weekly raiding, not giving a shit about world content or anything else (because none of it is rewarding character power/progression), followed by waiting for a new raid.

It's sad to see though, this utter irrational NEED to have 54 traits or you're not competitive. Just shows the legacy of WoD where people can't come to terms with the fact that in Legion (and most MMOs), there will probably always be some way to progress further. It's not WoDs raid-and-log-out. The goal of the design is NOT that you raid your preferred difficulty for a couple of months and then consider your characters "done" or "completed".

The changes to AP in 7.2 will hopefully dilute the unrealistic "social expectations" a bit. Just feels fucking stupid to see people feel gimped and uncompetitive because they lack 1-3% in their main-specs artifact

Maybe this is an effect of gradual instant gratification in the game, and games in general.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2017-02-28 at 10:56 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Volendrung View Post
    Eye of the beholder, I suppose.

yea that was a good game too. Baldurs Gate... Planescape Torment...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    People who can't stand grinds shouldn't be playing MMOs in the first place. Sorry, but WoW is not, and will never be, a MMMOBARPG
    It came too close in WoD sadly, and a lingering part of the community that survived that garbage is also the kind of player that is fine with WoW endgame to be 10 hours of weekly raiding, not giving a shit about world content or anything else (because none of it is rewarding character power/progression), followed by waiting for a new raid.

It's sad to see though, this utter irrational NEED to have 54 traits or you're not competitive. Just shows the legacy of WoD where people can't come to terms with the fact that in Legion (and most MMOs), there will probably always be some way to progress further. It's not WoDs raid-and-log-out. The goal of the design is NOT that you raid your preferred difficulty for a couple of months and then consider your characters "done" or "completed".

The changes to AP in 7.2 will hopefully dilute the unrealistic "social expectations" a bit. Just feels fucking stupid to see people feel gimped and uncompetitive because they lack 1-3% in their main-specs artifact

Maybe this is an effect of gradual instant gratification in the game, and games in general.
    Just from what you posted you either have never played before Legion or you never played vanilla BC Wrath Catafailure MOPDisator and maybe started in WOD.
    Because In all the previous expansions You went from raid to raid starting in BC You go run gruuls then maybe TK or next night Serpent shrine Hyjal or so on.
    There were tones of raids to go run and progress your character we did not need no silly heroic version or Mythic dungeons or Keystone or anything it was simply you get your gear and start raiding and progressing from raid to raid with what ever gear you got from said raid helping your fellow raiders also gear up. Jinky there wasnt even grind a legendary or grind silly artifact power for a tree that is going away with the next expansion since u lose your Artifact weapon.

And yes I got a Original Zulian Tiger. So Cash Me outside How bOUT DAT!

It's not a grind unless you make it one really. I mean I just do heroic raiding and my artifact is at 47 points and I'm doing just fine. I don't grind anything extra just because only when i want to. I do dailies when I want to. There might be 2-3 days where I don't touch a world quest and then I might do the emissary ones for 2-3 days in a row because I want to. I don't grind anything that I don't want to. I think most of you people it's all in your head. Just play what you want and how you want and you should be fine. If you want to push cutting edge mythic raiding then it should be expected that you probably need to put more time commitment in to get to that stage in which case you probably will have to grind a bit but that's by your own choice.

Pointless grind? It's a frustrating grind on a blind road till I get all of my useful legendries. I still want Luffas, Chato, and or Windshapers...

YOU PEOPLE with more than one character are the unsung heros. If I had to do this sh*t on more than one character, I'd be ripping my scalp off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    You get out of life what you put into it
    You are young, ain´t you?

Uh, WoW is a pointless grind. Always has been and always will be. Did you think anything you did in this game mattered? No. Now just enjoy it like the rest of us or quit playing.

For me it's not that the gear will be replaced next expansion anyway, it's that there is no moment of plateauing or rest anymore, and the way they went about giving us eternal progression is simple: layers upon layers of RNG. It feels like a bottomless pit that is extremely punishing for not just alts or rerolling, but even playing a second spec feels suboptimal or extremely tedious. Legion is the first time game design has actually made it difficult for me to stay committed and subscribed.

Deleted
    Hm, I don't know. I like doing m+, either pushing high ones or actually just rushing lower ones. They are fun to do, good opportunities to fine-tune rotations, team-play etc. The AP at the end is just the cherry on top.

I have maxed 3 weapons now, and the only time that I felt like it was a grind were the last 6 points in the last weapon because by then it was more completionism than anything and I had to do a lot of it in pickup groups because my usual team went back to only doing their one +15 a week for the chest.