Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Win 10 just forced an nvidia update

Wow, I've had zero issues with win10 for over a year now.
    But this morning, their updates just forced installed an Nvidia driver update.
    I was happy with my 372.00. Didn't want to upgrade.

But windows just shoved 376.53 down my throat.
    Any idea how to disable their updates for display drivers? This is annoying.
    I'd roll back to my happy drivers but I'm afraid windows will just update them again.
    I dont want to turn off other windows updates, just the graphics driver stuff if possible.

Rig:
    I7 4770k @ 4.6ghz
    Nvidia 980 ti x 2
    Samsung 850 pro 1tb
    Win10 Pro

Any particular reason you don't want to upgrade your graphics driver?
    Can understand how this is annoying, but having up to date drivers can only benefit you.

Quote Originally Posted by kerel View Post
    Can understand how this is annoying, but having up to date drivers can only benefit you.
    not always. particularly GPU drivers. Things frequently break.

10+ Year Old Account
    For starters, I have a very particular way of updating drivers.
    The whole safe mode, DDU way.

Nvidia has had a string of crap drivers so when I finally found one that works
    for my SLI setup as well as the games I play, I'm happy and stick with it.
    I've had zero need to update from 372. Most of the Nvidia drivers are just game ready patches.
    Usually for games I don't even play, so why bother?

But yea, I've never seen Windows install a new graphics driver before. This is what concerns me

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Any idea how to disable their updates for display drivers? This is annoying.
    Here you go.

To access this option, open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option. Select “Never install driver software from Windows Update.”
    NB: This will disable automatic driver updates for all drivers not just graphics. I had to use it when I installed Windows (after booting with LAN disconnected) as the ones on Windows Update for my system are faulty lol.

Deleted
    Nvidia drivers are known for having issues, especially new versions. There were small issues such as legacy/old architectures getting drastic performance downgrade across the board(was fixed) or more severe ones where drivers actually fried chips

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd hardly call it 'shoving it down your throat' when it's providing drivers to at least keep you somewhat up to date, especially when games are starting to invalidate old versions.

The newest version is 378.49, newer than the one Windows is providing. Thats aid, you can disable it, but this feature was known for a while.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'd hardly call it 'shoving it down your throat' when it's providing drivers to at least keep you somewhat up to date, especially when games are starting to invalidate old versions.

The newest version is 378.49, newer than the one Windows is providing. Thats aid, you can disable it, but this feature was known for a while.
    Pretty much this. I always update mine long before Windows 10 suggests it, though I will wait a couple weeks after an update hits to update the GPU drivers for any possible issues to be discovered unless I need it for a specific game.

The driver version they pushed is older to avoid any potential issues. Basically by the time that driver ever hit your build any potential issues were more than likely discovered and fixed.

I will say that while it sucks for users who are knowledgeable enough to do driver updates themselves, the biggest reason why they started doing this is because of how many people called support lines (or even shops) with issues that could be fixed simply by updating their Windows and Drivers. Hell half the time people have issues with games it's usually solved with "run DDU and install most updated drivers". I'd imagine these forced updated have dropped support problems for various companies by quite a bit.

If you want to defer updates then I'd suggest getting W10 Pro.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure you have "Give updates for other Microsoft products" disabled?

I don't recall Windows 10 Home update installing anything that wasn't specifically downloaded from Microsoft website itself.

I advise doing a readover of this: http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-...on-windows-10/

Most specifically the Disable Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update (Ctrl+f for it)

Someone already gave the short answer to the solution, but there's much more stuff in the link that can (and should) be done if you use Windows 10 Home (even though the link I gave is for WinPro anyway),

(More Update Control)http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-...ading-updates/
    (gpedit for non-Pro/Enterprise/Educational)https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpe...ndows-10-home/
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2017-02-08 at 06:05 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

I think i read somewhere that home version does automatic updates while the pro version does not.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Pretty much this. I always update mine long before Windows 10 suggests it, though I will wait a couple weeks after an update hits to update the GPU drivers for any possible issues to be discovered unless I need it for a specific game.

The driver version they pushed is older to avoid any potential issues. Basically by the time that driver ever hit your build any potential issues were more than likely discovered and fixed.

I will say that while it sucks for users who are knowledgeable enough to do driver updates themselves, the biggest reason why they started doing this is because of how many people called support lines (or even shops) with issues that could be fixed simply by updating their Windows and Drivers. Hell half the time people have issues with games it's usually solved with "run DDU and install most updated drivers". I'd imagine these forced updated have dropped support problems for various companies by quite a bit.

If you want to defer updates then I'd suggest getting W10 Pro.
    Except the "don't isntall drivers via windows update" GPO doesn't actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    I'd roll back to my happy drivers
    I'm sorry, but this made me laugh and made it hard for me to take this seriously. But fortunately, I took a recent class on having a crucial conversation so I'm going to ask a question/make an observation. Windows, from what I have witnessed, doesn't push graphics drivers unless it's deemed a critical update by both Windows and the manufacturer of the drivers. Are you saying that you sit on older drivers, even with major security and/or architectural flaws until you're in your happy place to install them? If that's the case, then that's just poor PC maintenance, but...

There are some drivers that cause issues with some configurations, so I think I get where you're coming from, but to be real, not installing a driver because of a happy place is probably not best practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I'm sorry, but this made me laugh and made it hard for me to take this seriously. But fortunately, I took a recent class on having a crucial conversation so I'm going to ask a question/make an observation. Windows, from what I have witnessed, doesn't push graphics drivers unless it's deemed a critical update by both Windows and the manufacturer of the drivers. Are you saying that you sit on older drivers, even with major security and/or architectural flaws until you're in your happy place to install them? If that's the case, then that's just poor PC maintenance, but...

There are some drivers that cause issues with some configurations, so I think I get where you're coming from, but to be real, not installing a driver because of a happy place is probably not best practice.
    I'm sitting on my old driver because there is no benefit for me to update them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went ahead and installed the newest drivers from nvidia.
    Really wish my hand wasn't forced by Windows

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post44553894

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Except the "don't isntall drivers via windows update" GPO doesn't actually work.
    Do they actually download and install?

Preventing them from downloading doesn't mean they aren't available.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Do they actually download and install?

Preventing them from downloading doesn't mean they aren't available.
    It is listed as a "required update" for me, and I specifically told Windows to not even offer driver updates via Windows update via a gpo.

Which means that every time I turn my computer on, I get a full screen message to download and install required updates with no way to make it go away other than to click on "get updates". I can still not download the driver update, but it's still annoying to be told to do so.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2017-02-13 at 06:49 AM.

huh, the exact same thing happened to me about the same time as the OP

I been using Win10 for ~a year now, Pro version, mostly default settings for WinUpdate (but I have Defer On, and have Updates for other MS products disabled) .. I do not have GeForce experience installed

I generally manually update Nvidia drivers, but not every single time a new one is out, so sometimes I can be a month or two+ behind .. up to this moment Win10 has never auto-installed Nvidia drivers for me, not ever

but a few days ago, when I still had NV drivers from ~December (IIRC) it auto-installed 376.53 for me (same version os OP .. and it isnt even the latest available) .. it wasnt really a problem since it didnt install GF Experience, kept my settings and unlike other ppl, I never have or have had any major problems with any of the post-Pascal Nvidia drivers, everything is as smooth as ever

but still, this happened for the first time that Win10 auto-updated my video drivers .. maybe it was a fluke, idk

will check this setting out when I get home - https://i.imgur.com/lyfYCEM.png

Oh, my experiences are quite the opposite. I've been using outdated drivers for as long as I can remember (with GPU's) since the newer nvidia drivers have just caused crashing that stopped after a revert to older ones, and this is after trying out multiple fixes and reinstalls.

Quote Originally Posted by joi- View Post
    Oh, my experiences are quite the opposite. I've been using outdated drivers for as long as I can remember (with GPU's) since the newer nvidia drivers have just caused crashing that stopped after a revert to older ones, and this is after trying out multiple fixes and reinstalls.
    Never had any issues myself so I must be lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Nvidia drivers are known for having issues, especially new versions. There were small issues such as legacy/old architectures getting drastic performance downgrade across the board(was fixed) or more severe ones where drivers actually fried chips
    Didn't know that.
    From a software point of view this shouldn't be possible and is pretty pathethic for such a big company.

didnt have any issues with Nvidia drivers the past several years .. neither with a 770 or later with a 1080

its the reason why I sort of want to stick to the green team in the future if performance is approximately similar between the 2 vendors