Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    But yea, I've never seen Windows install a new graphics driver before. This is what concerns me
    Windows 10 always did it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    If you ignored driver updates through NVIDIA for an extended period of time yea.

And rightfully so considering how many problems are had because people don't update their drivers.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

after this happened I reinstalled drivers from scratch with DDU (latest version), DDU has a function to block Windows from auto installing Nvidia drivers

it seemed to work, I rebooted and after loading, even though my PC had internet and WU was @ default, I didnt get any Nvidia drivers auto-installed .. there was no NV Control Panel, nothing .. so DDU must have blocked it .. whenever I do this without DDU - Windows starts installing NV drivers like 30 seconds after loading into desktop, so that some NV driver is at least present

then I installed the latest manually and left it at that

DDU also has a button you can press that reverts the WU auto-driver settings to default (so that Windows can install Nvidia drivers for you again), but I didnt press it so presumably DDU is still blocking auto-installs (?) .. on top of that I also disabled 2 automatic driver update settings in gpedit.msc, not sure if that works or not

right I think (not 100% sure) that Windows wont be installing anything automatically no matter what, but I expect that after Creators Update is applied that everything will revert to default again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    If you ignored driver updates through NVIDIA for an extended period of time yea.

And rightfully so considering how many problems are had because people don't update their drivers.
    In the beginning of it Windows Update was delivering newer drivers than what was available through Nvidia's tools and their website... Windows would update it, then Nvidia's own utility software would go crazy thinking you were using something extremely old because it wasn't in the database and then it would put you back into the other driver. Then Windows Update would update you again and the cycle would repeat itself forever if they hadn't fixed it.

Just funny to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'd be careful with the always term. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I've never seen it happen for me personally and I've been using pre-production releases of Win 10 since before it launched.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Wow, I've had zero issues with win10 for over a year now.
    But this morning, their updates just forced installed an Nvidia driver update.
    I was happy with my 372.00. Didn't want to upgrade.

But windows just shoved 376.53 down my throat.
    Any idea how to disable their updates for display drivers? This is annoying.
    I'd roll back to my happy drivers but I'm afraid windows will just update them again.
    I dont want to turn off other windows updates, just the graphics driver stuff if possible.

Rig:
    I7 4770k @ 4.6ghz
    Nvidia 980 ti x 2
    Samsung 850 pro 1tb
    Win10 Pro
    It's probably because its recognizing that you're using a driver from 6 months ago and knows that there are risks and it should be updated. People not practicing good computer hygiene is why the XP model went out the door and Windows 10 is here now and does literally everything for you.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I'd be careful with the always term. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I've never seen it happen for me personally and I've been using pre-production releases of Win 10 since before it launched.
    Then you just did not notice it doing it, had the feature turned off or updated your drivers manually before it could. By default, it will do this and always has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I used the very first Insider Preview build of Windows 10 back in 2014, Nvidia, AMD and Intel always had access to WU as a way to keep their users up to date and ready to test new WDDM 2.0 drivers together with the new OS. And Windows 10 kept supplying users with driver updates even after it was released, it even did supply alpha Nvidia drivers for a while.

It literally always did it, if you haven't got any then you just updated it yourself before WU could do it or had the feature turned off somehow.

Never had any issues with gpu drivers but yeah it seems that quite a few things are forced with win 10 updates if you don't stay up to date for a while.

had the feature turned off
    how do you turn it off for sure ?

alright I hope it keeps it off and doesnt revert some time later without me knowing

I just told windows that I am on a metered connection (network settings) to get it to stop doing anything automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSerialSniper View Post
    I just told windows that I am on a metered connection (network settings) to get it to stop doing anything automatic.
    but doesnt that stop all the security/critical updates on WU as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by kerel View Post
    Any particular reason you don't want to upgrade your graphics driver?
    Can understand how this is annoying, but having up to date drivers can only benefit you.
    GPU driver updates are not reliable and purely beneficial, they often break things

Quote Originally Posted by TheSerialSniper View Post
    That only works for wireless networks though

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    but doesnt that stop all the security/critical updates on WU as well ?
    It stops them from automatically downloading. You will get a notification when the updates are available and then you can download and install them at your leisure.

Although GPU drivers have been released in the past with bugs, 99% of the time you'll be fine.

It's always mind-boggling how people are willing to give up control over their machine for a pretty UI. The PC is mine, the software on it is going to do what I want, not what Microsoft wants. You are basically allowing a 3rd party to install/remove/change any software or settings it wants on the machine. Maybe this is ok if the Home edition, but there is literally no reason for the Pro editions to be setup in such a way.

There are plenty of environments that are using Windows XP/Win2003 still. Why ? Because some specific versions of some specific software only runs on it, and the environment is setup in such a way that it works. And you know what ? It can be made completely safe. It can because it doesn't try to reinstall itself every few months, changing any setting it can and adding new "features" that can break existing software that is using the old ones. If you setup it to be safe, it will be safe.
    If you setup Windows 10, there is the chance that you might find it reinstalled in a few months with the newest "Candy Crush" and other bloatware installed without asking the user, and your environment might not work at all. If you set up to be safe, it may not be safe, because you don't actually have control over it long term.

The only Windows 10 version that is even remotely useful for anything work related is the Enterprise version on the Long Time Support Branch, which doesn't receive feature upgrades. But that version is not only NOT free but it's not possible to purchase it from the regular retail channels.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-03-02 at 06:24 PM.

control is an illusion