Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So in a Facebook group I'm in a Millennial asked a question about whether something she was doing was right or not. I answered her question and since it wasn't what she wanted to hear she through a fit trying to justify what she was doing. When I told her again that she was wrong she through another fit and deleted her thread. Basically she stomped her feet and walked away.

Why are millenials so hard to talk to? Do they all have a problem being told they're wrong?
    The question and your answer was?

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It's a thing in youth sports that happens sometimes, but kids aren't the little idiots they're made out to be with it. They still have an extremely clear idea of whom really won even when their parents thinks they should get a trophy for participating.

As in regards to millennial as political discussion, it's just used to shit on a generation someone don't like for no real reason.
    I remember those throphy's. The smallest kart class with kids at around 6 years old got them and I remember thinking it was ridiculous and I wouldn't even accept one if I didn't deserve it.

Can't take criticism because they perceive it as a personal attack, cant hurt dem feels

The 2008 recession was the worst financial crisis since the great depression. Bringing up the great depression as an example of millennials having it easy is ludicrous.
    You failed history if you think 2008 was anything remotely close to the great depression.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    I remember those throphy's. The smallest kart class with kids at around 6 years old got them and I remember thinking it was ridiculous and I wouldn't even accept one if I didn't deserve it.
    I've never even seen one. Or, is getting a glass of juice considered "participation trophy" after a running contest?
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-02-28 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    I really don't want to get you off your high horse OP, but aren't you generalizing just a bit? I do understand that hyperbole is a common thing around here, but saying that every human between late teens, and early 30s can't take criticism... :/

To put it into perspective (and assuming you're a baby boomer/Gen X), it would be parallel to me saying that all baby boomers generalize the fuck out of everything based on their narrow and short-sighted views.

To be honest, it just seems like you're a millennial yourself, and think very lowly of your generation, thus need to validate yourself and separate "them" from you, but that's all conjecture on my side.
    I'm sorry if you're offended by the truth.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You failed history if you think 2008 was anything remotely close to the great depression.
    I'm not quite that young, despite the implication of "failed history class". Id need a time travelling machine to have a history class on the 2008 one.

As for the rest, there are actual economists out there arguing the same point, among them Ben Bernake, who's served as the head of the federal reserve, who think it's one of the worst crashes in living memory.
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/27/news...at-depression/
    Last edited by zealo; 2017-02-28 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    #NotAllMillenials

But yeah, millenials have generally gone through life with fewer hardships than previous generations, so they can be quite full of themselves. They can also grow out of it.
    What? We had more to deal with than the boomers and Gen X.
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

Reading comprehension is your friend. "Worst financial crisis since the great depression" not 2008 = great depression.

OT The older millennials lived their entire lives being told to go to college and that would get them the life they always wanted. They grew up having Boomer parents wanting better for their children pushing them to achieve more and more. More extracurriculars, more sports, more after school jobs...etc. Some burned out from all of that work and gave up. We changed our entire education system to encourage kids to go to college. Now those same boomers who pushed their millennial children to get STEM degrees are moaning that Millennials aren't taking jobs that they were taught were below them.

So they did just that, they went to college and are far more likely to be involved in STEM careers (almost all of the top 10 most likely majors as compiled by linkedin are STEM). What happened is they got tens of thousands of dollars in debt to get careers that, while the industry is booming, the pay isn't growing at a commiserate rate. OR they exited college into the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression with a large amount of education, but the jobs dried up.

However, Millenials are MORE likely to move to find a new job, MORE likely to go to a completely different field if the job prospects don't look good; So when that millenial is the most educated person in their family it's understandable that they get a little testy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengel View Post
    Reading comprehension is your friend. "Worst financial crisis since the great depression" not 2008 = great depression.

OT The older millennials lived their entire lives being told to go to college and that would get them the life they always wanted. They grew up having Boomer parents wanting better for their children pushing them to achieve more and more. More extracurriculars, more sports, more after school jobs...etc. Some burned out from all of that work and gave up. We changed our entire education system to encourage kids to go to college. Now those same boomers who pushed their millennial children to get STEM degrees are moaning that Millennials aren't taking jobs that they were taught were below them.

So they did just that, they went to college and are far more likely to be involved in STEM careers (almost all of the top 10 most likely majors as compiled by linkedin are STEM). What happened is they got tens of thousands of dollars in debt to get careers that, while the industry is booming, the pay isn't growing at a commiserate rate. OR they exited college into the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression with a large amount of education, but the jobs dried up.

However, Millenials are MORE likely to move to find a new job, MORE likely to go to a completely different field if the job prospects don't look good; So when that millenial is the most educated person in their family it's understandable that they get a little testy.

You're the one that failed since you didn't see him trying to compare the hardships of that time to 2008

I'm not quite that young, despite the implication of "failed history class". Id need a time travelling machine to have a history class on the 2008 one.

As for the rest, there are actual economists out there arguing the same point, among them Ben Bernake, who's served as the head of the federal reserve, who think it's one of the worst crashes in living memory.
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/27/news...at-depression/
    It doesn't matter how you classify it, there is no similarities, did you see people waiting in lines looking for hand outs? There are safeguards in place to make sure nothing like that will happen again. There is no way in hell people suffered anything close to to great depression regardless of unemployment numbers and other economic hardships.

You both should turn off the Kardashians and watch a documentary now and then.

Comparing a rescission to a depression, GTO here

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...at-depression/
    Last edited by zenkai; 2017-02-28 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    What? We had more to deal with than the boomers and Gen X.
    I mean the boomers had to deal with wars. Vietnam. Have you been to war?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

So in a Facebook group I'm in a Millennial asked a question about whether something she was doing was right or not. I answered her question and since it wasn't what she wanted to hear she through a fit trying to justify what she was doing. When I told her again that she was wrong she through another fit and deleted her thread. Basically she stomped her feet and walked away.

Why are millenials so hard to talk to? Do they all have a problem being told they're wrong?
    I think this has more to do with younger people than with generations. Most people grow out of it at some point - some don't though.

Now, an argument could probably be made that Millennials in general take longer to outgrow this due to way they were raised with participation trophies, games with no score, and many other ways in which their thinking were never challenged.

All millennials are exactly like that with absolutely no deviation from the norm whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're the one that failed since you didn't see him trying to compare the hardships of that time to 2008

It doesn't matter how you classify it, there is no similarities, did you see people waiting in lines looking for hand outs? There are safeguards in place to make sure nothing like that will happen again. There is no way in hell people suffered anything close to to great depression regardless of unemployment numbers and other economic hardships.

You both should turn off the Kardashians and watch a documentary now and then.
    I actually did not. The actual point in there was to debunk the whole idea of millennials having had it easier entering the job market than Gen X did you're peddling.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Blanket statements about large groups of people based off the interaction with one person. Makes sense.
    What he said.

7+ Year Old Account

What generation do you belong to that judges an entire other generation based on the actions of one person from that generation?

Maybe your answer was not right.
    Maybe that person is just horrible in general.

My boss couldn't take my last advice either. Why are old people just so stubborn and immune to criticism?

Generalizations, generalizations...

I actually did not. The actual point in there was to debunk the whole idea of millennials having had it easier entering the job market than Gen X did you're peddling.
    I was talking about the quality of life, not talking about the job market. I rather be poor in today's time than poor 40 years ago.

Deleted
    What truth? Only thing you done is creating a claim based on one conversation on Facebook. So much for 'truth'.