Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wut. How does this make an ounce of sense?
    Hate speech => life lost due to excessive jail time.

Murder => life lost due to jail time

Guess which one will their people choose next time? Care to put your last neuron to work, will you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellinter201 View Post

Guess which one will their people choose next time? Care to put your last neuron to work, will you?
    So... when you murder people for being the wrong color, they come back in 6 years (fewer with good behavior)?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Yeah. They would be better actually killing people they don't sympathize with. Nice logic, dumbass.
    I see you have a reading comprehension problem.

Please, and I'll wait, point to where I said killing anyone.

While you're at it also please point to where I advocated a LONGER sentence. Question two should be easier, but hey you've already demonstrated your reading level sooo....
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Maybe an answer to why people punch Nazi's, it could prevent further escalation? When people confuse their free speech with armed threats and menacing.
    Pure irony. Let's condone hateful acts against other hateful people because they deserve it. Nothing wrong with that, at all. Why the hypocrisy?

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I see you have a reading comprehension problem.

Please, and I'll wait, point to where I said killing anyone.

While you're at it also please point to where I advocated a LONGER sentence. Question two should be easier, but hey you've already demonstrated your reading level sooo....
    People frequently get sentenced to less than 20 years in prison due to murder, which is infinitely graver than hate speech. You suggest that people who commited the last should get more jail time than those who kill, which means you actually think hate speech is worse than murder.

So...because they can't threaten violence with impunity...they'll just actually commit acts of violence.

And this is the fault of the judge and our legal system...how?

That's the kind of logic of right wing lunatics, not normal people, dude.

People frequently get sentenced to less than 20 years in prison due to murder, which is infinitely graver than hate speech. You suggest that people who commited the last should get more jail time than those who kill, which means you actually think hate speech is worse than murder.
    Neither person referenced in this thread was sentenced to 20 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    For all the people who will read 15 pages about a topic, but not the article they are talking about:

* They didn't receive 28 years each: the dude received 20 years sentencing, 13 of which are in prison, 7 on probation. The woman received 15 years sentencing, 6 in prison, 9 on probation.

* They drove up to an 8 year old's birthday party, pointed a loaded shotgun into the crowd, and threatened to kill all the (black) attendants

* They also drove to a nearby walmart, and then a convenience store, and threatened to kill all the black people there too

* They did this 3 weeks after Dylann Roof (a white supremacist) massacred a black church, claiming he was seeking to instigate a race war and a return to neo-confederacy (this couple are also neo-confederates)
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-02-28 at 07:32 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Actually, i'd argue the time in prison due to murder is too short. If you're proven to have killed someone without justification you should never leave that jail.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    I'm waiting for some BLM nutcase to come here and say that a black person would get twice as much. Where's the white privilege now?

Oh wait, BLM fucks do that all the time and they aren't jailed.
    Somehow does your avatar fit you well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buh bye enjoy prison! They're not sorry for their actions they're sorry that they have to serve time haha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Read the full thread and article - the headline is VERY misleading. The reality is they got 6-12 years each for brandishing loaded shotguns at children while shouting racist obscenities at them.
    Oh, well that seems more reasonable and in line with the crime.

With a sentence of almost 30 years there is no way your end goal here is rehabilitation, which should kind of be part of the prison experience should it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    For all the people who will read 15 pages about a topic, but not the article they are talking about:

* They didn't receive 28 years each: the dude received 20 years sentencing, 13 of which are in prison, 7 on probation. The woman received 15 years sentencing, 6 in prison, 9 on probation.

* They drove up to an 8 year old's birthday party and threatened to kill all the (black) attendants

* They also drove to a nearby walmart, and then a convenience store, and threatened to kill all the black people there too

* They did this 3 weeks after Dylann Roof (a white supremacist) massacred a black church, claiming he was seeking to instigate a race war and a return to neo-confederacy (this couple are also neo-confederates)
    You forgot to mention that they were doing all this while also brandishing a shotgun. That's a critical piece of information which was omitted by both the article, and the OP.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

So...because they can't threaten violence with impunity...they'll just actually commit acts of violence.

And this is the fault of the judge and our legal system...how?

That's the kind of logic of right wing lunatics, not normal people, dude.

Neither person referenced in this thread was sentenced to 20 years.

I'd say it is actually the LACK of logic of left wing lunatics. Also, it is much more relevant to actually understand what goes on with the head of the people like the ones that got sentenced and to effectively work on measures to prevent it than toss them for decades on jail, which will INCREASE their hate even further.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    Yeah that's I was going to say. They have a disgusting attitude, but nearly thirty years for simply yelling mean words at black people? That's a bit cruel and unusual.
    If you read the article, some of them were aiming shotguns at adults AND children at the party. I too agree that 28 years for yelling something out your window while driving by isn't worthy of anything more than being called an ass. But when you start aiming your guns at children while still threatening them, then that's when it's unacceptable. It's a tough sentence, but I'm totally fine with it.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I'd say it is actually the LACK of logic of left wing lunatics. Also, it is much more relevant to actually understand what goes on with the head of the people like the ones that got sentenced and to effectively work on measures to previne it than toss them for decades on jail, which will INCREASE their hate even further.
    Part of that prevention is punishment for committing crimes, dude.

You know, the "rule of law", "law and order", all that stuff Trump keeps talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by helic View Post
    With a sentence of almost 30 years there is no way your end goal here is rehabilitation, which should kind of be part of the prison experience should it not?
    Ideally sure but American prison has never been about rehabilitation and most likely never will be.

Also no one was sentenced to 30 years. The article stupidly combines both their sentences and even then their sentences are split between relatively minor jail time and years on probation.
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-02-28 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    I'm waiting for some BLM nutcase to come here and say that a black person would get twice as much. Where's the white privilege now?

Oh wait, BLM fucks do that all the time and they aren't jailed.
    No, they don't do that all the time without getting jailed. Grow up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BellicoseAxe View Post
    There are more tactful ways to ruin an 8 year old kid's birthday party for sure.
    Like using clowns....

OT: The problem here is not that they shared their though, its that they basically made a statement against other people life (You don't need to like them, you may hate them, but never tell someone else that you are going to harm them, that is a threat and threats can take you to jail)

Part of that prevention is punishment for committing crimes, dude.

You know, the "rule of law", "law and order", all that stuff Trump keeps talking about?
    I don't know if the United States juridic system has something like that, but on my country, the criminal sentence needs to be proportional to the crime committed, which 30 years for hate speech definitely isn't.