Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellinter201 View Post
    I don't know if the United States juridic system has something like that, but on my country, the criminal sentence needs to be proportional to the crime committed, which 30 years for hate speech definitely isn't.
    Why do you still refuse to read the article or all the posts explaining the sentence and the crime? It's not 30 years, and its not hate speech.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if the United States juridic system has something like that, but on my country, the criminal sentence needs to be proportional to the crime committed, which 30 years for hate speech definitely isn't.
    Please point out which one got 30 years. The woman will serve 6 years in prison and 9 on probation. Guy is serving 13 and 7 probation.

They were also brandishing firearms during these death threats. A convenient but pretty important detail left out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    You forgot to mention that they were doing all this while also brandishing a shotgun. That's a critical piece of information which was omitted by both the article, and the OP.
    I thought that was the case but didn't see it in the article, I'll update my post though for clarity
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it is actually the LACK of logic of left wing lunatics. Also, it is much more relevant to actually understand what goes on with the head of the people like the ones that got sentenced and to effectively work on measures to prevent it than toss them for decades on jail, which will INCREASE their hate even further.
    You know... this actually points out that jails don't work, or at least those types of jails, in the end, the point of jail, should be, to reform people to reintroduce them into society, not what we have (Jails are basically a way to separate individuals from society)

Let me help you out here, because this is now sad. They were sentenced to 6-15 years and 13-20 years, female and male respectively, for making armed threats and violating the state's gang and terrorist laws. They weren't just making hate speech, they were making death threats, while armed with weapon, less than a month after a racist murdered 9 people in a church. Context matters.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2017-02-28 at 07:34 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    A lot of you guys didn't actually read what happened. They made *armed threats* at an 8 year old's birthday party and they didn't both receive 28 years, their combined sentences were 28 years.

Fair sentence. Next.
    You didn't read it properly either....

it's not even 28 years when you combine the years they are in jail... also I'm preeeeety sure there are set minimum years you serve for certain crimes in America.

They were not given 30 years. Please read the article itself, the headline is misleading. One received 13, the other received 6.

And they were not just yelling racial slurs, they were pointing firearms and threatening to kill families and their children.

I'm pretty cool with severe punishments for folks that do that kind of shit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    You know... this actually points out that jails don't work, or at least those types of jails, in the end, the point of jail, should be, to reform people to reintroduce them into society, not what we have (Jails are basically a way to separate individuals from society)
    Right, prison should always either be a rehabilitation system, or it should be for literal life sentences.

Either the US needs to revise their system so it converts criminals into productive members of society, or it needs to hand our 'until death' sentences for all crimes - anything inbetween is logically inconsistent.

A system which locks up petty criminals and produces monsters is like, the worst possible penal system for society (and the US isn't fully there, but it is logically inconsistent in this direction).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-02-28 at 07:38 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Ideally sure but American prison has never been about rehabilitation and most likely never will be.
    Punishing and threatening punishments only get you so far. People like this can't learn from their mistakes if they're not granted the opportunity. The chance for them to be sent back into prison, after they get out, is somewhere in the 80%.

There are programs that have a much better success rate(around 90% success) at bringing these people back into society. Sadly, people like you don't think that these two can change, thus the programs are severely underfunded.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    A lot of you guys didn't actually read what happened. They made *armed threats* at an 8 year old's birthday party and they didn't both receive 28 years, their combined sentences were 28 years.

Fair sentence. Next.
    Hello Virtua, welcome to the "informing the thread that's already been informed" club. You're member number 53 of people who have said that exact same shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Punishing and threatening punishments only get you so far. People like this can't learn from their mistakes if they're not granted the opportunity. The chance for them to be sent back into prison, after they get out, is somewhere in the 80%.

There are programs that have a much better success rate(around 90% success) at bringing these people back into society. Sadly, people like you don't think that these two can change, thus the programs are severely underfunded.
    People like me? Lol wtf

I'd be totally down for an overhaul on the justice/prison system that takes away the punishment for profit aspect of it and focused on rehabilitation. That doesn't mean I'm going to feel sorry for these people and truly I hope they can turn their lives around and quit being raging pricks but it's really hard to change someones mind when they're that deeply rooted in their hatred.

Fact of the matter is we don't have that system yet and these people shouldn't just walk free because we don't have the system yet. When I mean we probably will never have that system it's because of the powers that be and what they want in a justice system. Currently they're happy with their punishment for profit system and until that changes and people vote these fucks out of office nothing is going to change. Don't blame me for the shortcomings of our justice system.

And also y'know a punishment is needed here since they didn't just yell some mean words they issued death threats with firearms. Kind of a big no no there but that doesn't mean they deserve to rot in jail forever. They should come back out, stop being fuckheads and contribute to society.
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-02-28 at 07:46 PM.

Nobody was sentenced to 30 years for hate speech

He got 13 years
    She got 6

If you'd have actually read the article you'd know that the headline is clickbait.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Hello Virtua, welcome to the "informing the thread that's already been informed" club. You're member number 53 of people who have said that exact same shit.
    You don't get to walk around with a shotgun, making death threats, and get away with the proverbial slap on the wrist. Rehabilitation is all well and good, and I agree that these programs are underfunded, but there are still consequences that must be had for an act as egregious as this.

3 weeks after Dylan Roof shot 9 people in a church, another group of people drive up to a children's birthday party, with a shotgun, and start in on the same kind of rhetoric that Roof had just killed 9 people over. No, fuck that, they can think about what they've done in a 6-20 year time out.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    You don't get to walk around with a shotgun, making death threats, and get away with the proverbial slap on the wrist.
    I'll give you some time to find where THE FUCK I SAID THEY SHOULD BE RELEASED WITH A SLAP ON THE WRIST!

Go on. I'll wait.

You think I'm an idiot that doesn't know what's going on? Go belittle and strawman someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll give you some time to find where THE FUCK I SAID THEY SHOULD BE RELEASED WITH A SLAP ON THE WRIST!

Go on. I'll wait.

You think I'm an idiot that doesn't know what's going on? Go belittle and strawman someone else.
    No but you're certainly acting like people are hypocrites for promoting rehabilitation while also being for punishment as if the two are mutually exclusive.

Hate speech => life lost due to excessive jail time.

Murder => life lost due to jail time

Guess which one will their people choose next time? Care to put your last neuron to work, will you?
    13 years and 6 years, vs Life in Prison. I think I'll take the first two Alex.

Nice try though, oh and that time can also be reduced by prison programs and other things.

Might want to read the article next time and learn the actual time frames for crimes. Hate Speech =/= Murder in jail time.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can do is laugh at them. They probably thought they were all tough rednecks saying that shit and now that they're going to prison for they're crying like little bitches. What morons. I hope they're going to a prison where the population is dominated by blacks. See if they're still tough then.

I just love seeing fake tough guys being broken down like this. So satisfying.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-02-28 at 08:09 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Thirty fucking years?? Are they kidding?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Thirty fucking years?? Are they kidding?
    Actually read the article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    All I can do is laugh at them. They probably thought they were all tough rednecks saying that shit and now that they're going to prison for they're crying like little bitches. What morons. I hope they're going to a prison where the population is dominated by blacks. See if they're still tough then.

I just love seeing fake tough guys being broken down like this. So satisfying.
    No. Not really. They'll join the skinhead/neo-nazi group in prison and by the time they get out. Maybe in 20 years for good behavior they'll be even worse for when they went in.