Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I didn't like discord at first. Buuuuuut it works, it's free, and if it ever begins to charge we can always go back to vent, ts, mumble, whatever works for us.

A free voice com program, that works just fine? Why wouldn't you use it?
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

We do. Not a fan of the audio quality to be honest. On mumble my mic sounds 100x better than it does on discord. Not sure if it's a server issue or my settings are messed up.

no issues with it what so ever.. we been using it at least 6 months.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    No latency at all, like i said on TS it's fine.
    The bad sound was literally for everyone in the channel. It's not good audio quality to start with but when there where multiple people speaking at once it just got atrocious. Not just for me but for everyone in the channel. So it's nothing to do with my ISP.
    No way that it's using the same codec TS is, the sound quality between Discord and TS is huge (in favor of TS).
    Whoever is running the server needs to do a properties on the actual sound channel and drag the quality slider to 96k. Otherwise it defaults to 64k. Most people don't know about this especially those jumping in to do a quick playtest.

We experienced the distortion you mentioned the other night also. It happened for about 5 minutes. First time since we cut over almost 4 months ago. If it happens you can click transfer server to another region.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by topmaymay View Post
    We do. Not a fan of the audio quality to be honest. On mumble my mic sounds 100x better than it does on discord. Not sure if it's a server issue or my settings are messed up.
    Ask whoever is the admin of your server to click the edit channel button for each voice channel and drag the bitrate to 96k. It uses the exact same codec as Mumble.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

We still use TS for raids and use Discord for other stuff like dungeons. I don't entirely get why but it's okay, I guess. Honestly don't really care which of the 2 programs we use, seem to work the same to me. You talk and you hear others talk. Simple enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun
    Whoever is running the server needs to do a properties on the actual sound channel and drag the quality slider to 96k. Otherwise it defaults to 64k. Most people don't know about this especially those jumping in to do a quick playtest.
    I don't understand really, does all the people who have "issues" with bad sound quality are audiophiles or are there any other reason why need the bitrate upped?

I hated it at first time but now? I fckin love it. It has everything a guild needs and it's free.. Like, where in our world would you get so much cool stuff for free

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    I don't understand really, does all the people who have "issues" with bad sound quality are audiophiles or are there any other reason why need the bitrate upped?
    Think about the difference between a MP3. 128k versus 256k version 320. Same thing goes for 64k versus 96k. With even a $60 headset you can notice the difference assuming you have a decent ear.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Think about the difference between a MP3. 128k versus 256k version 320. Same thing goes for 64k versus 96k. With even a $60 headset you can notice the difference assuming you have a decent ear.
    Difference in song qualities comapred to a well coded FLAC vs MP3 I can hear, possible between a 128k vs 320k MP3 as well. But everything else just escapes me.
    As I am using MMX300's as my headphones then dunno - the quality difference between mumble and discord (with the default channel settings) is minimal. But I guess most people have audiophile hearing then if they catch the big difference between programs.

But the setting under the channel setting comes with a notice: "Going above 64k is not recommended because it'll adversely affect people on mobile devices or poor connections without noticable benefit". So is this loads of BS or is it true? Possible irrelevant for a guild group where the leaders know that people have good connection; but in a PUG group might be not so good option, cause you never what potato people use...

10+ Year Old Account
    We tried using Discord as a guild, was all fine untill more than 5 people joined the channel and the sound quality became absolutely horrendous. Literally like talking through a tin can.
    We instantly switched back to Teamspeak and never looked back.

The functionality is great though, if they do add a (paid) option to improve the sound quality / use a different voice codec we will definitely switch, untill then, no thanks.
    There are a few things that you can do to test if it's the ISPs fault or yours:
    > Increase quality to max, with the cogwheel window;
    > Use PTT and never use speakers to listen, only headphones; voice activation is fine as well, but not for this test;
    > Have your mic close to your mouth, unless it's a directional one.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

We switched from TS to Discord too. Sound quality is about the same. People with god mics sound well on Discord as they did on TS and the same is for people with bad mics: they still sound like shit. Some people with bad mics refuse to admit they have an equipment issue, they blame it on the program and their "hopes" that Discord will fix their problems were trashed. A guild mate recently changed mic and he sounds crystal clear. Before that, with his old mic he sounded like shit, like speaking from the bootom for a barrel. Now I almost did not recognize him.

So don't automatically blame the program.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    There are a few things that you can do to test if it's the ISPs fault or yours:
    > Increase quality to max, with the cogwheel window;
    > Use PTT and never use speakers to listen, only headphones; voice activation is fine as well, but not for this test;
    > Have your mic close to your mouth, unless it's a directional one.
    Just did another test, we went into Discord again.
    Was fine with 3 people (sound quality not as good as TS but bearable). Then we had 5 more people join, sound quality went really bad again.
    What we tried:
    - Quality on max
    - Switched regions
    - Have different people join
    - Channel owner changed datarate to max

Everyone was experiencing this, most of them using headphones.
    Myself i'm using highend sennheiser headphones so that shouldn't be the problem either.

When there's multiple people the sound just sounds really "flat", don't know how else to describe it, like there's reverb in the sound.
    Everyone in the channel experiences it: people from different countries, with different ISP's. The only guy who said he didn't hear it was a guy using el cheapo headphones.

I just gave up on it now really, we don't really use all the other functions in Discord anyway and i host my own Teamspeak server, so that is practically free also.

We switched to Discord two weeks ago. A lot of guild members were asking for it and the other regulars weren't against it, so our GM cancelled his Teamspeak plan. We figured there was no reason to keep paying with a decent alternative available. We test-used Discord for a couple of weeks prior and liked it. Our guild's very community/social based, and Discord fits that niche perfectly. Raid-voicecomms haven't caused issues either. People with good mics still sound good, people with bad ones still sound bad. So far, so good!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    Difference in song qualities comapred to a well coded FLAC vs MP3 I can hear, possible between a 128k vs 320k MP3 as well. But everything else just escapes me.
    As I am using MMX300's as my headphones then dunno - the quality difference between mumble and discord (with the default channel settings) is minimal. But I guess most people have audiophile hearing then if they catch the big difference between programs.

But the setting under the channel setting comes with a notice: "Going above 64k is not recommended because it'll adversely affect people on mobile devices or poor connections without noticable benefit". So is this loads of BS or is it true? Possible irrelevant for a guild group where the leaders know that people have good connection; but in a PUG group might be not so good option, cause you never what potato people use...
    I expect everyone to be using a computer for our Discord server so I don't care myself. No toasters allowed.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did another test, we went into Discord again.
    Was fine with 3 people (sound quality not as good as TS but bearable). Then we had 5 more people join, sound quality went really bad again.
    What we tried:
    - Quality on max
    - Switched regions
    - Have different people join
    - Channel owner changed datarate to max

Everyone was experiencing this, most of them using headphones.
    Myself i'm using highend sennheiser headphones so that shouldn't be the problem either.

When there's multiple people the sound just sounds really "flat", don't know how else to describe it, like there's reverb in the sound.
    Everyone in the channel experiences it: people from different countries, with different ISP's. The only guy who said he didn't hear it was a guy using el cheapo headphones.

I just gave up on it now really, we don't really use all the other functions in Discord anyway and i host my own Teamspeak server, so that is practically free also.
    Sounds like an isolated issue but it still sucks. I'm sure if you worked with Discord they might be able to track it down but I understand doing it yourself. I work in IT so the last thing I want to do is fuck with troubleshooting something when it's time to game!

Deleted
    i don't like any software what is not part of OP system and puts itself on launch on startup (without asking) - that's just malicious, and not trustworthy.

Vent is the best for the bigger randoms, but for the guild stuff it is almost always the in-game voice chat. That has seemed to have the best quality by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Nah, we are still using ts3/raidcall
    But as I can see people around say that discord isn't bad, will see

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Or prefer better sound quality then discord could offer, which is why we only use discord for chat (in lieu of a website as others) and returned (yes - went back to) mumble due to the better quality. Sure, I love discords extra features and it's by far the easiest to jump into - but it's also not doing it's job as a competitive voice com (given it's a gaming voice com platform) particularly well. If we could self host the servers until they sorted it out, that would be much preferred.
    "competitive voice com" ... Are you playing with musicians or what? btw the bitrate is changeable in the app.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Vent is the best for the bigger randoms, but for the guild stuff it is almost always the in-game voice chat. That has seemed to have the best quality by far.
    i know you are trolling

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Your guild uses the ingame voice? Wow, you guys are unicorns.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet