Thread: vsync

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

vsync

i have issues with screen tearing in games like wow/overwatch without vsync, but with it on there is a massive input lag. most noticable in fps such as OW.

its really terrible. does vsync have to come at a price ?
    i mean eventhough i have gtx 1070, i5 6600 and 60 fps i either have to play with a mouse lag, or screen tearing badly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes, with Vsync there will always be a price as it is buffering images before displaying them. You could always look into gsync or just a 144Hz monitor.
    144hz will not solve tearing.

Vsync will result in latency, which isn't an issue in non-competitive games. If you play shooters, or street fighter, you should avoid Vsync like the plague. Gsync is the best option. I can't imagine playing anything anymore without it; the difference is huge.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont plan on buying a new monitor anytime soon.

what impact does the nvidia graphics panel vsync off/on option have ? how is it different from ingame option ??

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post

Vsync will result in latency, which isn't an issue in non-competitive games. If you play shooters, or street fighter, you should avoid Vsync like the plague. Gsync is the best option. I can't imagine playing anything anymore without it; the difference is huge.
    Unless he is pushing more than 144FPS, yeah, it will solve the tearing. That's what causes tearing, pushing more FPS to the monitor than it can handle. So if you get a monitor that can handle more FPS, yes, it will solve the tearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Unless he is pushing more than 144FPS, yeah, it will solve the tearing. That's what causes tearing, pushing more FPS to the monitor than it can handle. So if you get a monitor that can handle more FPS, yes, it will solve the tearing.
    He has a 1060; more than 144 fps in most games isn't exactly hard to achieve.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2017-02-28 at 08:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't different. Vsync is vsync. If this is really a problem for you then you have to buy a new monitor or you could try capping your framerate with something like rivatuner.
    i mean, if ingame i have turned off but in the panel its on/adaptive/3d application, what then ??

Tearing is much worse on lower refresh rates. Doesn't solve it but helps a lot; it also lowers the input lag penalty of vsync etc.

That's what causes tearing, pushing more FPS to the monitor than it can handle.
    Tearing happens at any FPS (above, below, even equal to screen refresh rate) because the individual frames are not coming at the same period as the screen refresh
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2017-02-28 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    Certainly would depend on the resolution and ingame settings... I like how you think your assumptions are facts though.
    I never said that. Regardless, he'll have to suffer tearing or input lag if he doesn't upgrade his screen.

Some games let you lock the frames per second which might help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found a really useful setting in the nvidia control panel that solves all issues with sycing that i ever had. I literally turn it on and never have to worry about framerate or setting up vertical sync correctly again....this amazing setting is called Gsync :s

He has a 1060; more than 144 fps in most games isn't exactly hard to achieve.
    Well, seeing as he is talking about WoW here....we all know WoW has trouble even maintaining 60 FPS in CPU bound situations. So yeah, 144 FPS is pretty hard to achieve. Also, a 1060 is not gonna push 144 FPS in most current games at Ultra Settings:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/6.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/7.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/8.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/9.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Armor/10.html

Should I keep going? Nah, you can go through the list yourself. I'll summarize for you though, no game they tested got more than 144FPS at 1080p with the 1060. Quite a few did not even break 60FPS. So yeah, with his set-up, it more than likely would entirely solve the screen tearing issue. In addition, if it did not, if he was pushing more than 144FPS in anything, he could just turn on render scale and adjust it as needed until he gets just below 144FPS.

On to the OP though. That gave me an idea. Why not just turn on render scale? Should force your FPS below 60 and problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    i mean, if ingame i have turned off but in the panel its on/adaptive/3d application, what then ??
    It works differently, not sure of the details on that though. It might work better, might not.

Vsync is vsync. I knew what you meant. The input lag comes from the process of vsync itself. Which piece of software performs the operations doesn't have a significant effect on when you see frames or when your mouse is actually moving in relation to those frames.
    While this is true, the implementation of it can be a little different. Sometimes, a game manufacturers vsync is not as efficient as nvidias vsync and you can reduce the lag to nearly not noticeable by switching which one you are using. Sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes there is no difference between the two. It just varies depending on how well the devs in a particular game implemented vsync.

Deleted
    Well, seeing as he is talking about WoW here....we all know WoW has trouble even maintaining 60 FPS in CPU bound situations. So yeah, 144 FPS is pretty hard to achieve. Also, a 1060 is not gonna push 144 FPS in most current games at Ultra Settings:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/6.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/7.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/8.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...0_Armor/9.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Armor/10.html

Should I keep going? Nah, you can go through the list yourself. I'll summarize for you though, no game they tested got more than 144FPS at 1080p with the 1060. Quite a few did not even break 60FPS. So yeah, with his set-up, it more than likely would entirely solve the screen tearing issue. In addition, if it did not, if he was pushing more than 144FPS in anything, he could just turn on render scale and adjust it as needed until he gets just below 144FPS.

On to the OP though. That gave me an idea. Why not just turn on render scale? Should force your FPS below 60 and problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

It work differently, not sure of the details on that though. It might work better, might not.
    Of course, demanding games at the highest settings will most likely result in sub 144fps. But you're just avoiding the problem, rather than really solving it. What if he plays counterstrike? Or Overwatch, which pushed 120fps on my old 970?

Personally, I'd just go for Gsync and never look back. Especially if he would consider buying a new [144hz] screen.

Of course, demanding games at the highest settings will most likely result in sub 144fps. But you're just avoiding the problem, rather than really solving it. What if he plays counterstrike? Or Overwatch, which pushed 120fps on my old 970?

Personally, I'd just go for Gsync and never look back. Especially if he would consider buying a new [144hz] screen.
    What if he plays counterstrike? He's not having a problem with vsync in counterstrike if he plays it at all. He SPECIFICALLY mentioned the games he has trouble with. WoW and Overwatch. WoW, we all know will not be getting 144 FPS in CPU bound areas. As for Overwatch:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-...060/page2.html

Yeah, just barely breaks 144. Could easily be solved by turning render scale up just a bit though, forcing FPS down.

Yeah, sure, buying a GSync monitor is likely the absolute best choice, but your statement was still wrong and did not really apply to the OP at all, seeing as we know exactly what games he is having a problem with(Hint: It wasn't Counterstrike).

10+ Year Old Account
    there's only 2 way to fix.

1. Limit your fps to your screen speed. <
    2. Buy a Gsync 144hz, it's amazing..

I will NEVER regret my 1440p 144hz Asus Rog! NEVER!

Deleted
    What if he plays counterstrike? He's not having a problem with vsync in counterstrike if he plays it at all. He SPECIFICALLY mentioned the games he has trouble with. WoW and Overwatch. WoW, we all know will not be getting 144 FPS in CPU bound areas. As for Overwatch:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-...060/page2.html

Yeah, just barely breaks 144. Could easily be solved by turning render scale up just a bit though, forcing FPS down.

Yeah, sure, buying a GSync monitor is likely the absolute best choice, but your statement was still wrong and did not really apply to the OP at all, seeing as we know exactly what games he is having a problem with(Hint: It wasn't Counterstrike).
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    most noticable in fps such as OW.
    CS with Vsync? he he, that one made me smirk

It's funny you're so fixated, even obsessed with being right. Fact remains that 144hz does not solve tearing. I don't get why this is so incredibly hard to understand. Sure, you can mitigate the issue with a hand-full settings, among which increasing the render scale in Overwatch to make it more demanding, which again, mitigates the issue without necessarily solving it.

I'm done with the whole right/wrong discussion. Believe whatever you want.

Vsync and Gsync solve the issue. Chances are you don't want Vsync for obvious reasons.

So, OP, you either live with tearing or buy a new screen and if you choose the latter, I would strongly advice getting a Gsync screen (not Freesync). Getting a regular 144hz screen might solve the issue in some demanding games, but whenever you play a less demanding game that pushes your FPS beyond 144hz, you might see tearing's ugly mug pop up again.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2017-03-02 at 09:13 AM.

CS with Vsync? he he, that one made me smirk
    Even if the game does not have it, you can turn it on in nVidia Control Panel.

It's funny you're so fixated, even obsessed with being right. Fact remains that 144hz does not solve tearing. I don't get why this is so incredibly hard to understand. Sure, you can mitigate the issue with a hand-full settings, among which increasing the render scale in Overwatch to make it more demanding, which again, mitigates the issue without necessarily solving it.
    Who is fixated/obsessed here? Me, or the one guy saying it won't solve anything while there are multiple people saying it will. Here's a hint for you, when everyone else is saying one thing and you are saying something different, you are probably the one that is wrong. Yet you keep coming here and insisting you are not. We try to help people here. Giving them false information is not helping.

Deleted
    Even if the game does not have it, you can turn it on in nVidia Control Panel.

Who is fixated/obsessed here? Me, or the one guy saying it won't solve anything while there are multiple people saying it will. Here's a hint for you, when everyone else is saying one thing and you are saying something different, you are probably the one that is wrong. Yet you keep coming here and insisting you are not. We try to help people here. Giving them false information is not helping.
    Son, just read my reply and, you know, get over it. No need to continue this ridiculous conversation.

Pro tip: The smirk on the CS remark had nothing to do with being able to use Vsync.

Surprise no one has mentioned Fastsync, OP it might be worth looking in to. You can change the setting in your Nvidia control panel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Surprise no one has mentioned Fastsync, OP it might be worth looking in to. You can change the setting in your Nvidia control panel.
    Fast sync is a viable option, granted that you can provide 2 completed frames with one to discard (so twice as many frames per second as your refresh rate), according to Peterson.

15+ Year Old Account
    The bad thing with using gsync or freesync is you are stuck to that manufacturers video card Gsync/Fastsync is Nvidia, Freesync is AMD

Keep that in mind when looking for monitors if you go that route. If you decide to do it and your a nvidia person, FastSync may be worth looking into like Bigvizz stated.