Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are you having problems focusing in one character?

Hi guys! I wonder if more people are or were in my situation, and I will appreciate any advice or experiences.

I have been a Paladin since BC, Im the coleccionist kind of player, so with this character I had done pretty much everything, all reps, all crazy achievements, but im not enjoying any of it specs. Im very attached to this character, but I think that a change is needed because I keep leveling other classes which their gameplays I enjoy more, but ultimately I erase them because I feel that if I leave my Paladin all these years of "work" will be lost.

This situation lead me to try other MMOs and other games, but I dont find them as interesting as WoW is, I can play a few days but in the end I want to play WoW and follow its story until its done.

So, anyone feel me here? Or im sick? Share any thoughts please.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Deleted
    Seen posts like this on mmo-c before. Many players often feels more connected in some way to their main. But if you don't enjoy playing it, then level something else and play that untill you feel like playing paladin again. Sometimes I can get boring to play the same class for so many years. The rep and achievements ain't going to be removed- they will stay in the game for you to get later on.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with you, but if you fear there is you should talk to a psychology we (strangers) can't know stuff like that about you.

I've always played multiple alts, even through Vanilla, though I still have what I consider my main class (even if it's not the same actual character), i.e. Rogue. With that said, I'll be playing what I either want to play for the expansion, or what benefits my guild's current situation (usually end up switching to Huntard or something when we need range).

Almost every player becomes altoholic sooner or later, if he is attached enough to Wow. I don't know. It's about exploration and completion of whole game. I.e., you know, you see other classes in game, you hear other players, talking about them, and you would never want to try them by yourself? I don't know. For me different classes - are like different routes of playing the game. If I wouldn't explore them all - I wouldn't feel, that I've explored whole game.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

I have issues focusing on one character. I have times where I focus on a "main" for a long time, then abandoning it and trying something else. I've given up on completing the grindier achivements, because I know it will all be for nothing.

Not enjoying your main isn't good. If you want to play WoW but don't feel comfortable with your main, definitely try something else. Your work won't be lost, unless you delete your paladin. Sure, it sucks from time to time; I have 2 characters from pre-MoP with 35 exalted reputations each - none of my newer characters are close to this amount, nor will they ever be. Which is annoying when I want the Lower City tabard but I'm not exalted :P

It's ok to be bored with your main - I was in the same position, actually. Played a lot of (destro) warlock in WoD, but I'm not really enjoying Legion's more emphasis on playing with demons, especially for PvP, alongside warlocks' indoors slowness. These days I'm playing shadow priest, which I've played on and off since WotLK. I will probably never be a gladiator or push 99 percentile logs, but that's ok - enjoying myself in the game is far more important (although other people think their fun is the aforementioned, but that's the beauty of WoW).

Anyway, I've always gone from one project to another, both ingame and real life. I can dedicate a lot of time and resources into one project. Then, out of nowhere, I abandon it. It's like I have ADD something. I feel like I'm an anomaly, because people get praise for sticking to the same project throughout their lifespan but not so much for stopping the project.

Besides, many of the achivements are account bound anyway, though of course it would help to be able to get the Lower City tabard on a character that isn't exalted with them but you can't be arsed because you have 2/3 characters who did that already. I think Blizzard could look into making more stuff account bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    Hi guys! I wonder if more people are or were in my situation, and I will appreciate any advice or experiences.

I have been a Paladin since BC, Im the coleccionist kind of player, so with this character I had done pretty much everything, all reps, all crazy achievements, but im not enjoying any of it specs. Im very attached to this character, but I think that a change is needed because I keep leveling other classes which their gameplays I enjoy more, but ultimately I erase them because I feel that if I leave my Paladin all these years of "work" will be lost.

This situation lead me to try other MMOs and other games, but I dont find them as interesting as WoW is, I can play a few days but in the end I want to play WoW and follow its story until its done.

So, anyone feel me here? Or im sick? Share any thoughts please.
    Exactly the same here. My Paladin is my main since classic but i don't like any of his specs anymore. If i try to play something else it lasts only a few weeks. I don't want to do everything again.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

The point is, as @Thyr stated, that I feel kind of obliged to, at least, do all the previous quests and reps, especially to complete the wardrobe.

I had played all classes, some I leveled to 110, some to 70, but eventually I erased them all.

I did this in other expansions too, but especially in Legion, because in some ways its feels that focusing in one character is better (AP, in 7.2 mounts from farming caches...).

I love playing many kinds of classes and specs. want to try them all.
    I usually never get satisfied with just playing one character therefor it hit me that you don't have to be bound by this old thinking of having a "main". Since Cata I scrapped that way of thinking completely, all my chars are my mains.

Then came Legion...

Deleted
    In any RPG with different classes I will remake my party/character a few times to test out what is most fun. WoW even in vanilla wasn't different but it took a max level-character (sometimes even with some raid gear - crit % for mages/warriors for example) to actually satisfy me.

Whenever there is a new expansion coming and I got alpha/beta access the whole content doesn't matter instead I play all classes/specs to see how they play out. So yeah the concept of having a main is not for me :P

There's so much to do on my main I don't have time to play my alts, even if I want to.
    There's so much fluff in WoW these days, and I'm drawn to that fluff, and I don't want to abandon my main that I have played so many years.
    So yeah... I wouldn't mind less fluff, because then I might actually play my alts aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    The point is, as @Thyr stated, that I feel kind of obliged to, at least, do all the previous quests and reps, especially to complete the wardrobe.

I had played all classes, some I leveled to 110, some to 70, but eventually I erased them all.

I did this in other expansions too, but especially in Legion, because in some ways its feels that focusing in one character is better (AP, in 7.2 mounts from farming caches...).
    Ah, I've forgotten about it. Yeah, also it's about collecting gear. Especially now, when we have wardrobe. Game has so many beautiful items, but they're spread between different classes. You need all of them, if you want to collect all possible gear.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont think there is anything wrong with, then again I dont know you.

We all go through the "main" burnout. I'm in it right now with my priest, to me the holy priest just isn't fun anymore. I lvled a mage and I am having fun with it and I am currently at 104.

I still play my priest with my guild and it doesn't seem as daunting as it was before lvling a new toon, but I still like playing the mage, they are dastardly little devils.

The game is suppose to be there for fun, play it however it makes you happy, once it becomes a job, its not a game anymore.

Yea, sometimes.
    Now I'm focusing on using only one character, cause I feel that something is wrong when using 2 character at the same time

10+ Year Old Account
    My paladin was my first character and has always been my main. Some expansions I liked it, some expansion I did not. I always have at least 1 alt (the non-paladin class I like the most) every expansion, and play that alt a lot. My paladin gets priority on gearing, achievements, progress though.
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

15+ Year Old Account
    I have always and probably will always focus on my main as an ENH shaman. That said, I do play alts a lot and try out different specs from time to time because I just feel like doing something different. There's nothing wrong with it. Its a game afterall. Play what you want to play. If that doesn't happen to be your main at the moment, so be it. Maybe you'll have the urge to play that paladin again soon and when you do, it'll still be there.

Deleted
    Whenever i play an alt i feel could do better with my main. I main Fury and it has it all: Damage, Mobility, visuals, transmog, Gear in general. I actually want to play something else but i am just too lazy / casual to gear up again from scratch and learn a spec that then turns out to perform worse that my main would.

I doubt i will ever reroll or main an old former alt.

Thank you all for your advice.

I'm going to recover my Paladin and give retry another try, while leveling a DK frost, I love the spec and the artifact, plus any gear that I gain with him contributes to my Paladin wardrobe, and as I already did all quests with my Paladin I don't really have to do them with the DK for Wardrobe purposes.

Hope that it works¡

And I hope that at least retribution Paladin gets some animations love in the future, because I feel that this is part of the problem. Playing a Warrior, DK, Shaman, Rogue, DH, pretty much every melee class feels better than the retribution Paladin.

When I hit Templar's Verdict I expect something like Rampage or like Obliterate, not a Pew¡ with a yellow light.
    Last edited by Darkarath; 2017-03-01 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have exactly the opposite problem. i want to divide my attention among multiple characters and cant. i like to feel accomplished on one toon, then switch it up and replay on an alt, repeat until new patch.

problem is, i can never feel accomplished on one single toon, i realize the insane grind it takes that one toon and get disappointed in the looming grind of an alt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I wouldn't call it a problem. I have my "main" as my Paladin but then I also have 10 other 110s. I have one of every class, at least one of every profession and take time to level and gear all of them at least decently. My main is my highest as I raid in the guild with him but none of the others are really off bad. If anything I find it a good thing as constantly playing one character, one class can be boring. Especially if you have them geared pretty good to where the only time you have a chance at getting better gear is on raid nights. Whereas on alts who are lower gear level or now with artifacts lower artifact levels, getting something better happens more often and provides that instant gratification for getting something better. Of course I could play my main more, do more mythic pluses, etc to get more AP but I don't feel the need to have my Artifact maxxed out. I just casually go through my week, leveling as many characters as I can thru gear and AP without the pressure to be the best around or anything like that.

Used to have the same mindset as OP, even with a few friends who would ask me at the beginning of expansions "why play ele shaman when you know they are going to suck ass at the start?". I was able to attain closure with wow when I finished up HFC + the ring in WoD combined with the fact the game became a total bore...when you're logging on to see how much gold you can make in a day from the garrison...in order to pay sub...to see how much gold...yeah, point made.

I find FF14's system, where you can level every single class in the game on a single character, to be a superior alternative. Don't like the way your class plays after a new xpac or simply bored of it for reasons? Push a button and boom, you're another class now. Each one has to be leveled separately, though (for the most part). Going to stop here since I'm walking all over the "game vs. game" sort of stuff that leads to flames amundo.