Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty enamored with the game so far! The setting is awesome.

Not sure I am feeling much of a Skyrim vibe though. It's kind of like...I dunno. Far Cry meets the Witcher 3 with a bit of the Last of Us? Whatever it is it's...yeah, it's just awesome.

I'm getting a cross between Far Cry and Tomb Raider reboots, with shades a few other things, including witcher.
    speaking of which... I'm still pretty early into the game and kinda getting a bit nervous, so... can i go back to older areas to finish exploration after finishing main quest for them? or am I locked out. just how open world is it?

Hey! I've been following this game for some time but I am not sure if I should buy it or wait a while. Are the story and sidequests enjoyable? Does combat get repetitive after killing robots for a while? Is it longer than 12 hours?

By default I play my games with the camera inverted. Took me a good 2 hours to finally get used to a normal X-Axis camera in this game as theres no option to change it. Overall I'm having a heck of a time. Picking up sidequests feels natural and genuine as opposed to just being thrown in. You feel compelled to wander off the main mission just to hunt the machines. Quickly getting more comfortable with using the bow and where to aim. The monster pedia is such a fantastic and useful menu option. Couldn't have asked for more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyron View Post
    Hey! I've been following this game for some time but I am not sure if I should buy it or wait a while. Are the story and sidequests enjoyable? Does combat get repetitive after killing robots for a while? Is it longer than 12 hours?
    The story and sidequests are enjoyable. Combat doesn't get repetitive (at least yet), especially when they throw the odd curveball at you with new fight mechanics. I'm 8 hours in and have explored about 1/8 of the map, so I'm gonna say it's longer than 12 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Ixidron View Post
    The story and sidequests are enjoyable. Combat doesn't get repetitive (at least yet), especially when they throw the odd curveball at you with new fight mechanics. I'm 8 hours in and have explored about 1/8 of the map, so I'm gonna say it's longer than 12 hours
    Thanks for your answer. If you don't mind me asking, what are the objectives of the sidequests?

Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    Never gonna come to pc as it's first party.
    Yeah that's why I said if and have no problem watching it on Youtube.

That being said I am really enjoying the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turned the game on, started to watch the intro cinematic ANNNNDDDDD, it caused my entire PS4 to crash. Good job Guerilla

My PS4 is fine though.

Thanks for your answer. If you don't mind me asking, what are the objectives of the sidequests?
    The first side quest I did you had to rescue a guys daughter who got treed by some watchers. You have to rescue her and then can help retrieve her moms spear that dropped in a fight with some nastier robot critters. That fight was my first death I had a brain fart on controls and got surrounded. I could have backed off and just snuck away to reset things but I got a bit to sure of myself. Robot dinos hurt when they run you over.

The melee combat is bad (though the stealth is decent), but you rarely use it.

The human enemies are terrible and fighting them is not fun, but the robots make up for it easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't mind me asking, what are the objectives of the sidequests?
    I would compare them to the Witcher 3. The majority of the ones I've done have required investigation using Aloy's Focus device, which works similarly to Geralt's Witcher senses. Like the Witcher 3, NPCs also have quite a bit of dialogue with dialogue trees that let you ask questions if you want more backstory on the quest.

Luckily I haven't come across any kill or gather quests, although there is the occasional merchant who needs a component that drops from a specific enemy (usually an elite enemy). Cool thing is, though, if you happened across one of those enemies already, killed it, and have the component you can complete the quest right then and there. I explore quite a bit and kill every enemy I see so that's happened to me a lot.

On top of the side quests you also have a number of activities to keep you busy. Such as clearing bandit camps, doing hunter trials and exploring old world metal ruins. I just did my first "Cauldron", which was like a mini-dungeon inside a ruin filled with machines and wires etc. Pretty nifty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The melee combat is bad (though the stealth is decent), but you rarely use it.
    I wouldn't say bad, but I also wouldn't go any further than 'adequate'. The game is clearly intended for heavy bow usage what with being able to shoot off armor and stuff. And having essentially unlimited arrows. My preferred playstyle so far has been stealth kills though, definitely. For bigger enemies or when I inevitably get caught I'll shoot off every obvious exposed armor piece and, if they're still alive, start aiming for the legs to down them for a critical spear stab.

2 more days until midterms are over, than spring break for a week here, I know what I'll play!

15+ Year Old Account
    anyone know exactly what the handling stat on weapons actually does?

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    anyone know exactly what the handling stat on weapons actually does?
    I believe it says 'Aim and draw back speed'
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Turned the game on, started to watch the intro cinematic ANNNNDDDDD, it caused my entire PS4 to crash. Good job Guerilla

My PS4 is fine though.
    I'm here for the 'I told you so' (without the enmity)

Took the last two days off work to play this, am not disappointed. I'm enjoying it very much. The story is interesting and the gameplay is solid, though the melee combat is lackluster. I've been focusing on bow and sneakiness skills and have been getting by just fine and been gathering everything I can see, which I encourage everyone to do to ensure you have enough components to craft your ammo and other stuff.

A great buy IMO, and looks fantastic, and I don't even have a PS4 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Pretty enamored with the game so far! The setting is awesome.

Not sure I am feeling much of a Skyrim vibe though. It's kind of like...I dunno. Far Cry meets the Witcher 3 with a bit of the Last of Us? Whatever it is it's...yeah, it's just awesome.
    What it may lack in Skyrim-esque hidden world stuff to find, it seems to make up for in EXTREMELY tight combat mechanics! Unlike Skyrim, I find myself wanting to get into scraps with multiple machines at once as the dodging and striking feels VERY refined and is quite fun to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Took the last two days off work to play this, am not disappointed. I'm enjoying it very much. The story is interesting and the gameplay is solid, though the melee combat is lackluster. I've been focusing on bow and sneakiness skills and have been getting by just fine and been gathering everything I can see, which I encourage everyone to do to ensure you have enough components to craft your ammo and other stuff.

A great buy IMO, and looks fantastic, and I don't even have a PS4 Pro.

Really? interesting - I find myself going more and more towards Melee actually. Indeed, I find it quite fun to dodge n' weave while timing well-placed heavy strikes to knock them off their base.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    what I find amusing is that for a lot of people - hunting robot dinosaurs were specifically THE selling point :P
    I actually was dreading the Robots, and yet I found them the most satisfying and fun-rewarding battles in the game so far! ^_^

I agree with the others that, while they nailed the medieval designs perfect - having the Robots is enough of an spice/accent to give Horizon its own identity.

on melee... right now I use it roughly 50% of the time. I use arrows when I can get watchers from stealth as they are scanning, since I one shot them with a single arrow, but anything that doesn't immediately die? melee just seems to hit harder, I never run out of ammo and as long as I dodge, I do just fine (mind you I'm playing on easy, so your mileage may vary, but that was my experience so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    on melee... right now I use it roughly 50% of the time. I use arrows when I can get watchers from stealth as they are scanning, since I one shot them with a single arrow, but anything that doesn't immediately die? melee just seems to hit harder, I never run out of ammo and as long as I dodge, I do just fine (mind you I'm playing on easy, so your mileage may vary, but that was my experience so far)
    I play on Very Hard and melee is great there as well. The only thing that I think might be different is the need to use tripwire / stun bombs / rope / traps before you melee because most enemies has a faster attack animation than you do. Critical hit skills is so good.

I loved the story.

Not really spoilers but just in case.
    That very first hologram you see of the dad saying happy birthday to his son is very sad when you take into account the context what was really happening at that time.