Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Heroes are always a showoff in terms of gender. Most likely the very definition of hero makes you think of their "gender stereotypes" and the female one isn't your taste.
    Just look at James Bond for example - it's so awkward.

Interestingly Asian stereotypes differ a lot from the western ones - might be more your taste.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It really doesn't. Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Ms Pac Man, there have been female heroes throughout the history of video games. This is solely your problem.
    exactly, I don't have any problem with female heroes. as long as they are not written ridiculously bad. unfortunately most of the time female characters end up being oversexualized and lack any sort of interesting charisma to make them interesting. I mean, a little sex appeal is good and all that, but let's face it there's a fine line between being a femme fatale and an oversexualized half naked sex doll with 2 giant airbags in the front and 2 more in the back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Ellen Ripley says hi.
    About that, does Alien Resurrection count? Given, you know, she's a clone and not the real Ripley?

On Topic: It doesn't seem weird to me at all. So I think it's all in your head.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, if you're over 50, it might be weird since growing up you never saw female protagonists, just social programming.

But if you're a young Gen X'er or millennial, it shouldn't be weird. Seek help. Or not, up to you.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I have to see a believable female hero, otherwise it's just forced and weird to me.

Seeing a 5 foot 2, 100 pound woman beating the snot out of 6 foot gorillas breaks my suspension of disbelief. There's no way it could happen, unless they had extra abilities, like they were a super hero, or didn't fight hand to hand and instead used guns and the like.

Of course if they're a 5 foot 8 woman that's clearly been lifting weights for years, I don't see an issue with her being a heroine either.

IT all comes down to how believable it is. If it's just not believable, it's going to look weird and forced.

Ahwell. Thought you guys could help me understand why i had this feeling. Guess posting on MMO-Champ wasen't the best idea.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Hey.

I enjoy playing as Female characters in MMO's and other RPG games, But when i think about it from a story prospectove something inside me just thinks that this is weird and not the way it should be, But it's not how i feel personally but i just get that feeling and i don't know why. Has media & Sociaty somehow brainwashed me into that way of thinking? That a male always has to be the Strong person or "hero" that saves the day?
    Sounds like a personal problem, and that you have certain expectations of what women 'should' be doing that don't necessarily align with reality or good taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Leela in Futurama
    or
    Kathryn Janeway in Star Trek: Voyager

there are lots of female heroes in films that kick ass and are really manly - don't see them as heroic at all.
    hero needs weaknesses - like Batman, with problems, is more cool than sterile Superman.

Huh (you must be new to gaming) one of the first true "gaming computers" I built was for the first tomb raider, was for a friend we got the first generation Voodoo card (the add-on one that hooked to your 2d one) and I put it all together for him then downloaded the "patch" you needed for the graphic update.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Huh (you must be new to gaming) one of the first true "gaming computers" I built was for the first tomb raider, was for a friend we got the first generation Voodoo card (the add-on one that hooked to your 2d one) and I put it all together for him then downloaded the "patch" you needed for the graphic update.
    I'm only talking about MMORPG's or other RPG's where you choose gender. Not games/Comics/Tvshows/Whatever that are desinged from the ground up with a Female main character in mind

It shouldn't. Many games now (MMO or otherwise) have the choice between a male or female protagonist, and it works either way. Look at Mass Effect - yes, most promotional art for the original trilogy depicted a male Shepherd, but a female easily fit into that mold as well. Shepherd's actions, choices, some romances, and heroism translated flawlessly between a male or female avatar. You could even switch around the cover art on Mass Effect 3 to show "FemShep" as well. Games like Fallout or Skyrim don't have (generally) a set character as the protagonist - it's all up to you.

All in all, it's mostly on you. Perhaps it would helpt o start seeing them more as a hero and person, rather than specifically a woman. Women aren't THAT different than men.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

15+ Year Old Account
    It looks to me like your thinking too much.

Play the game the way it makes you happy. If that means playing a female, then so be it...or try this.

I have male and female toons, like you I think that way somewhat so my tanks are beasty males, my healer and casters are all female...

O damn maybe there is something wrong with me! /jk

Women, please dont judge me, I have no problems with females doing a job a man does, this is just my personal preference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    It shouldn't. Many games now (MMO or otherwise) have the choice between a male or female protagonist, and it works either way. Look at Mass Effect - yes, most promotional art for the original trilogy depicted a male Shepherd, but a female easily fit into that mold as well. Shepherd's actions, choices, some romances, and heroism translated flawlessly between a male or female avatar. You could even switch around the cover art on Mass Effect 3 to show "FemShep" as well. Games like Fallout or Skyrim don't have (generally) a set character as the protagonist - it's all up to you.

All in all, it's mostly on you. Perhaps it would helpt o start seeing them more as a hero and person, rather than specifically a woman. Women aren't THAT different than men.
    Generally, most narratives are fairly interchangeable in terms of gender unless the author feels the need to specifically address that subject for whatever reason.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It doesn't to me. Thank you that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    About that, does Alien Resurrection count? Given, you know, she's a clone and not the real Ripley?
    Does not matter. Ripley has kicked ass since ever.

I'm only talking about MMORPG's or other RPG's where you choose gender. Not games/Comics/Tvshows/Whatever that are desinged from the ground up with a Female main character in mind
    a lot of the MMO's you can choose what you want to create as the "hero" (guy above *Destinas beat me too it) any fault with females hero's don't lie in with fault in the gaming industry IMO, even as far back as Everquest you had female hero's, hell one was on the cover.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2017-03-01 at 12:27 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because most of them are done in such a shitty, pandering way with the most missed-cast actresses where the best you can do is try to not have your skin crawl while the actress pretends she's Sigourney god damn Weaver or Linda Hamilton.

As a recent example, seeing Emilia Clarke and her eyebrows play Sarah Connor was just.... infuriatingly confusing whereas she's much more suitable as Daenerys even though I think she's a shit actress in general.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Because most of them are done in such a shitty, pandering way where the best you can do is try to not have your skin crawl while the actress pretends she's Ellen god damn Ripley or Linda Hamilton.

As a recent example, seeing Emilia Clarke and her eyebrows play Sarah Connor was just.... infuriatingly confusing whereas she's much more suitable as Daenerys even though I think she's a shit actress in general.
    You're making the focus group mistake, here.

The problem is not that they're female, the problem is that they're written or acted badly.

It feels like some people in this threads misunderstood what i meant. I'm only talking about Games where you choose gender, Like Blade & Soul, Swtor, Black Desert, Mass effect, Dragons age etc, and that while you play these games it sometimes feel like the story or events are created with a Male character in mind instead of a Female one. In Black desert the voice lines even says "He" even if you are female.

Hey.

I enjoy playing as Female characters in MMO's and other RPG games, But when i think about it from a story prospectove something inside me just thinks that this is weird and not the way it should be, But it's not how i feel personally but i just get that feeling and i don't know why. Has media & Sociaty somehow brainwashed me into that way of thinking? That a male always has to be the Strong person or "hero" that saves the Day?

Edit:

Edit:

Edit 2

I don't like playing females in MMOs because I hate getting hit on by every loser out there.