10+ Year Old Account

Frost Mage Blizzard in Opener

Can anyone please explain why both Xyroblast and Brokenshun are using Blizzard in frost opener during Icy Veins in this log?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=44

Is this due to the nature of the encounter? What's specific to the encounter to make Blizzard so important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

At the start of the fight, there is a time where you can't target her, but you know where she will be. It can be "precasted" on this fight because of this.

It also happens a couple more times throughout the fight.
    Last edited by Zztank; 2017-02-28 at 10:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zztank View Post
    At the start of the fight, there is a time where you can't target her, but you know where she will be. It can be "precasted" on this fight because of this.
    O I see. When she vanishes and the targeting circle on the floor. Nice improvisation. Never occurred to me. Good catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

They are using Blizzard to reset Frozen Orb ofc. There are 2 adds + boss at the start.
    Last edited by Neoxx; 2017-02-28 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxx View Post
    They are using Blizzard to reset Frozen Orb ofc. There are 2 adds + boss at the start.
    dude, read the fucking question first

Quote Originally Posted by kzn View Post
    dude, read the fucking question first
    I answered the "fucking question" just fine, what's your point?

But since you don't get it, here is a long explanation for you:

You have to get as much FoF procs as possible to keep up Icy Veins.
    Frozen Orb gives you a lot of FoF proccs.
    Blizzard ticks reduce your Frozen Orb cooldown.

So what are they doing in this log?
    The Boss spawns on pull with 2 adds some seconds later. They cast Icy Veins and Frozen Orb, get a lot of FoF procs and cast Blizzard on 3 targets to reduce the cooldown of Frozen Orb. With that they basicly have Frozen Orb available after ~30 seconds again. More Frozen Orbs > more FoF procs > higher Icy Veins uptime ... yes it's that simple.

But since you don't get it, here is a long explanation for you:

You have to get as much FoF procs as possible to keep up Icy Veins.
    Frozen Orb gives you a lot of FoF proccs.
    Blizzard ticks reduce your Frozen Orb cooldown.

So what are they doing in this log?
    The Boss spawns on pull with 2 adds some seconds later. They cast Icy Veins and Frozen Orb, get a lot of FoF procs and cast Blizzard on 3 targets to reduce the cooldown of Frozen Orb. With that they basicly have Frozen Orb available after ~30 seconds again. More Frozen Orbs > more FoF procs > higher Icy Veins uptime ... yes it's that simple.
    Are you ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Byzet View Post
    Are you ok?
    I'm good and you?

I'm good and you?
    They are talking about the initial opener. For example when she ports down and creates a pool before appearing ... A frost mage should pre-cast blizzard before she is targetable. You would not frozen orb until the boss is on top of the 2 adds.

Your claim about blizzard on the boss + 2 adds to reduce frozen orb CD was off topic.

No, you didn't. The question was specifically about use in the opener, not in general. Using Blizzard on ST is a dps loss whether you reduce FOrb cd or not, and the mages in question are not dumb enough not to know that.

The adds spawn more than a blizzard duration after the boss spawns, so add dps does not explain the use of blizzard in the opener, which is what was asked.

On top of that, "reducing FOrb cd" isn't even a correct explanation of their uses of Blizzard at other times. Blizzard is never used to reduce FOrb cd. That is a side effect that we get for free - Blizzard is used on 2+ targets because it's a dps increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Kluian05 View Post
    They are talking about the initial opener. For example when she ports down and creates a pool before appearing ... A frost mage should pre-cast blizzard before she is targetable. You would not frozen orb until the boss is on top of the 2 adds.

Your claim about blizzard on the boss + 2 adds to reduce frozen orb CD was off topic.
    I really don't know if I'm still reading it wrong ... but what he was asking for is:
    Can anyone please explain why both Xyroblast and Brokenshun are using Blizzard in frost opener during Icy Veins in this log?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=44
    The real frost opener starts with Icy Veins, which is 8 seconds into the fight. He is not asking about Blizzard usage before that (and btw if you check the log, the 2 mages don't even do that). I would even argue that using Blizzard at her spawn could be bad, because it can proc trinkets like Whispers in the Dark too early.

Quote Originally Posted by kzn View Post
    No, you didn't. The question was specifically about use in the opener, not in general. Using Blizzard on ST is a dps loss whether you reduce FOrb cd or not, and the mages in question are not dumb enough not to know that.

The adds spawn more than a blizzard duration after the boss spawns, so add dps does not explain the use of blizzard in the opener, which is what was asked.
    Same answer as above.

On top of that, "reducing FOrb cd" isn't even a correct explanation of their uses of Blizzard at other times. Blizzard is never used to reduce FOrb cd. That is a side effect that we get for free - Blizzard is used on 2+ targets because it's a dps increase.
    Lets not be nitpicky here. You are correct with what you are saying, but the main reason for this fight is indeed to reset frozen orb as fast as possible to keep Icy Veins up as much as possible. He is using Blizzard at 2 targets too, just for that reason. You can see it in Xyronic's twitch VODs.

Also sorry for being harsh in the last post, had a bad day.
    Last edited by Neoxx; 2017-03-01 at 11:05 PM.