Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    so somone saying "sup fucker" to a friend in guild is your definition of hate speech, racism, and bannable?
    or you know, the guild could take care of the problem themselves, and whats fit and what is not allowed, somone calling somone else hatefully the N word, well they gkick them, some dude calling his fellow hommie the N word and they say it back, they dont gkick because they are friends, but somone else in the guild telling a guild master and getting them banned

again your trying to enforce your opinion on everyone, but making what people say in guilds, to their friends, able to be dictated by officers

imagine if you whispered your friend "yo fuck that dude" then suddenly you got banned because that dude told the gm to read your messege you send to your friend and because you said fuck oh, well banned
    You are putting all kinds of words in my mouth. I literally said almost none of what you're talking about and you should reread what I've posted. 'Sup fucker' would be stupid and unnecessary but not necessarily bannable. If someone was hatefully spouting the N word all over /g I'd personally say that should be reportable.

I remember way back in TBC I had somebody doing that in my old guild. Actually ended up losing a bunch of guild members because of it. We used the guild notes back then for people to list their professions and spec's so we would know what we had on at the time. Some childish kid kept putting rude comments in everybodies note. I was the GL and had to change it to where only high end officers could effect the notes. Then some started complaining about that as if there wasn't one of the top officers on and they had a big change to their info it became out of date or they just wanted to be able to change it themselves. So I ended up giving it back to all and the very same day that happened the kid was at it again. I logged on one night to see about 10 people had left the guild with a bunch of messages in my mail that the rude notes were the reason. I ended up catching the kid because I was on a alt and literally started seeing notes being changed and he was the only other one on. He was laughing about it as I asked him what he was doing. Then proceeded to tell him that I was the GL and booted him out of the guild. I then changed to another toon to see him hop on a alt and get all mad about it, booted that one too. I brought it up in trade chat in Shattrath with his toons names only to hear from others to say he'd done it in their guilds too. Needless to say the kid got blacklisted and it spread like wildfire, I saw him on a few alts for a week or so constantly complaining that he couldn't join guilds or dungeons/raids. Definitely one thing I miss about old WoW, IF you were a jackass and people could prove it you were screwed on whatever realm you were on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    Why do you hate a response including the words "the way a guild is running things" when you say your issue was with one or two people? If the majority of the guild does not see it as a problem, you have conflicting interests with your guild as a whole. Either people agree with you and it isn't an issue or they disagree and you're the outlier. Having the issue stem from one or two people is irrelevant when either you agree with the decision of you guild or don't.
    Because the guild is obviously not being run in a way that is meant to allow harassment.. So it's a stupid response.
    I say I hate it because it's just so god damn stupid, he is basicly just saying, punish the player being harassed rather than the ones that are harassing.

The majority of the guild is not being harassed.
    The majority of the guild is not using the guild notes to harass people.

This is a few people that choose to be toxic and would ruin it for everyone if we had the GM disallow guild notes entirely. When everyone else can manage to be decent just fine.

It's not conflict with the interest of the guild as a whole.. It's two people being toxic.. Those two people should be able to be punished, without puinishing everyone by disabling guild notes.

Adding a small note at the end of guild notes saying "edited by x" would fix this.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Personally, I think blizzard should suspend the GL for a couple days [..] The GL is responsible for what there officers (and those with permission post).
    You're taking this way too seriously. Is a guild leader supposed to comb through all the guild notes every day to make sure nobody posted anything that might hurt somebody's feelings or face suspension?

There are three possibilities here:
    1. He never talked to his GM about it, in which case that should be step #1, long before you start opening tickets.
    2. He did, and the GM fixed the note. This is what I think happened based on the conversation.
    3. He did, and the GM left it.

The only situation in which I could even conceive punishing the guild leader is #3, and the proper reaction is still "leave the guild."
    Last edited by Xar226; 2017-03-01 at 05:15 PM.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    You are putting all kinds of words in my mouth. I literally said almost none of what you're talking about and you should reread what I've posted. 'Sup fucker' would be stupid and unnecessary but not necessarily bannable. If someone was hatefully spouting the N word all over /g I'd personally say that should be reportable.
    or the person could be kicked from the guild? end of story?

guilds are privately owned, so they have their own rule on what is and isnt allowed in guild chat, once you enter blizzards channels, that are public, trade, general, say, then you have to follow their rules
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Jesus grow some balls, this is the type of person that report names as offensive. If you are in a guild that even allows any1 to change notes (and people acually care) then its your own fault for joining a guild like that. If you get TRIGGERED, TILTED or OFFENDED by words in a fantasy game in a fantasy community just find another one or create your own with the standards you prefer.

People coming up with the most silly things to complain about...

Someone setting offensive notes? Ask the GM to restrict the edit access to them? It's an officer\gm? Leave the guild.

holy hell, no wonder ticket response times are so out of control with this sort of tickets.

Who cares? Get some thicker skin and stop getting offended by words or leave the guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post
    Because the guild is obviously not being run in a way that is meant to allow harassment.. So it's a stupid response.
    I say I hate it because it's just so god damn stupid, he is basicly just saying, punish the player being harassed rather than the ones that are harassing.

The majority of the guild is not being harassed.
    The majority of the guild is not using the guild notes to harass people.

This is a few people that choose to be toxic and would ruin it for everyone if we had the GM disallow guild notes entirely. When everyone else can manage to be decent just fine.

It's not conflict with the interest of the guild as a whole.. It's two people being toxic.. Those two people should be able to be punished, without puinishing everyone by disabling guild notes.

Adding a small note at the end of guild notes saying "edited by x" would fix this.
    Like I said, if the majority of the guild felt that way, the problem would have been taken care of and you wouldn't be talking about it. If the majority of the guild was unaware of it, it's not a problem of "how the guild is being run" so your post does not apply. If the majority of the guild were aware and did not care, the problem is you.

The last option seems the only likely one. If the guild agreed it was harassment they would be able to handle it as a guild. I really don't understand how this situation becomes a problem unless the one having the problem is the only one who cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Guild is a private channel/social circle you're invited to. They cannot punish people for anything said in guild. Leave or stop being a sensitive nancy on the internet.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    I completely disagree with the idea that because it's in a guild it's fine. A line should be drawn. If people are making racist / inflammatory remarks etc they should be treated the same way as if they were in trade chat or if they had whispered them to a random.

The people spouting off are the toxic / dramatic ones. Make no mistake.
    Odds are whoever is making those guild notes is very likely engaging in similar behavior in public chat and will get reported for it and dealt with. Otherwise if this behavior is exclusive to within the guild, the GM is right that they have no reason to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post

Lmao, it's sad however that he's so right...

Honestly, it is a bit weird that players can get away with toxic, actually offensive behavior in a guild that they would be banned in the game for normally, if you think about it. Just because it's a more restricted chat/environment, all bets are suddenly off.

My entire time in WoW I was in ONE guild that I loved to death, and was excited to log and play with people, instead of just tolerated to raid. Was by far not the best progression guild, but I stayed because of how amazing it was.
    I ended up having to leave them because one member decided to harass me 100% of the time during raid time. In raid chat he would openly call me stuff like "that thing" "c*nt" and other fun stuff.
    In whispers, he would constantly send me things about finding where I live and murdering me, stuff about violent sexual assault, and descriptions of him touching himself. I convinced the GL to let me Ignore him (there was a big guild rule about not doing that) and then he ramped up the abuse in our Vent chat where everyone could hear it.

The GL and I talked, and I was informed that this particular person had a problem with women, but he'd had a rough life (I was told he lived in Russia where he watched his mom get raped and his dad get killed by the mob, then moved here with his mom where his mom sold him to black gang members, he spent his childhood in a gang where he was forced to kill his own brother, the KGB was trying to kill him and he lived at different houses which was why he never showed up to raid, and just a ton more obvious bs) and they wouldn't tell him to stop because they felt sorry for him.
    So, I left and missed the end of an expac because of it.

I sent pages and pages of the whisper stuff to Blizz, and they gave me the same "this is guild problems" bs... when it was someone whispering me privately, and making alts to get around Ignore for weeks after I quit the guild.
    Nothing was ever done, and I had to stop logging into the game altogether for a while. I was also concerned this person had found personal information about me at the time.

So, I do definitely think that "it's a guild" shouldn't always be a shield for really abusive behavior. You're still paying to play a commercial project and shouldn't have to put up with certain kinds of abuse.

Deleted
    You sounds like a very fun person to be around. Seriously grow a thicker skin. What happens inside a guild should stay inside it, we don't need big brother watching over us.

Quote Originally Posted by mcvice View Post
    Ok i will clear some things cause some of you got me wrong -

1. why i posted here - i posted here not to cry but to inform those who dont know (like me before) blizzard dont take actions against offensive things inside guild. I though it woild be interesting for you guys to know that.

2. I like my guild and most of players in it, it is just 1 person who was offensive not the whole guild, so i do not want to leave guild.

3. Wanting punishement for offensive actions is not toxic in my book, but i might be wrong.
    Is this some kind of joke?

No shit Blizzard doesn't take actions against things inside of guilds. That's why its a guild. Its not a public chat channel, therefore does not follow the same rules.
    There is no such thing as offensive actions here. Do you ask GMs to take action when your raid leader calls you a retard for fucking up?
    This is so absurd to me its hard to read.

I guess you must be new to this game if this sort of thing not only bothered you, but you expect some one else to deal with it for you like they broke some law.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentsatellite View Post
    Honestly, it is a bit weird that players can get away with toxic, actually offensive behavior in a guild that they would be banned in the game for normally, if you think about it. Just because it's a more restricted chat/environment, all bets are suddenly off.

My entire time in WoW I was in ONE guild that I loved to death, and was excited to log and play with people. Was by far not the best progression guild, but I stayed because of how amazing it was.
    I ended up having to leave them because one member decided to harass me 100% of the time during raid time. In raid chat he would openly call me stuff like "that thing" "c*nt" and other fun stuff.
    In whispers, he would constantly send me things about finding where I live and murdering me, stuff about violent sexual assault, and descriptions of him touching himself. I convinced the GL to let me Ignore him (there was a big guild rule about not doing that) and then he ramped up the abuse in our Vent chat where everyone could hear it.

The GL and I talked, and I was informed that this particular person had a problem with women, but he'd had a rough life (I was told he lived in Russia where he watched his mom get raped and his dad get killed by the mob, then moved here with his mom where his mom sold him to black gang members, he spent his childhood in a gang where he was forced to kill his own brother, the KGB was trying to kill him and he lived at different houses which was why he never showed up to raid, and just a ton more obvious bs) and they wouldn't tell him to stop because they felt sorry for him.
    So, I left and missed the end of an expac because of it.

I sent pages and pages of the whisper stuff to Blizz, and they gave me the same "this is guild problems" bs... when it was someone whispering me privately, and making alts to get around Ignore for weeks after I quit the guild.
    Nothing was ever done, and I had to stop logging into the game altogether for a while. I was also concerned this person had found personal information about me at the time.

So, I do definitely think that "it's a guild" shouldn't always be a shield for really abusive behavior. You're still paying to play a commercial project and shouldn't have to put up with certain kinds of abuse.
    so this is 100% false
    1. if you reported somone threatening to murder you in whispers, and find where you live, a gm would not simply go "its a guild problem"
    2. it is the guilds job to dictate what happens in their chat, blizzard owns trade chat, say chat, and general chat ,they control what can and cant be said there, but to allow people to express themselves ans have fun, they allow people to say whatever they want in guild, if you dont like it, you can leave guild chat, and you have to OPT in to go into the guild, so its your choice to subjected to that stuff
    3. again if you told your guidies this guy was threatening your life and they dident care, leave, they are odviously not your friends
    4. blizzard does not want to touch guild chat because they want to let freedom of speech be out there, but they know that the general person may not want that, so they say "hey you can say anything you want here, but these areas, are ours, you cant" like a smoking "we know we have to let you smoke, so smoke there, but not in these areas please"
    5. yes all bets are off because you have to CHOOSE to join a guild, a guild cannot force itself onto you, you opt in, do you want this to be toontown where people can only use predefined phrases "lets go to, firelands, tomorrow, okay?" "sorry, i cannot, i have, to nighthold"
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-03-01 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Where this falls apart is that it should be a last resort and the OP gave no indication that he tried to sort it out through channels that most other people would default to (speaking to guildies). Also I'm really not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. My detector is normally flawless and you flummoxed it.
    I completely agree. The guild master should have handled the situation themselves (and they did, ultimately). I just don't believe that the hostile responses that the OP has received as a result of taking an alternative, perhaps less helpful route to solving the problem, are mature by any definition of the word.

the issue with a game master popping into guild matters is they dont know the context, they see somone geting the "fuck you" rank and ban the person who made that rank
    when the game master, and the person who reported the person who put that player in the rank, dont get its a joke on how the person got a mount first try the other person has tried for months to get

for example i told a guy who got the hidden destro skin a few weeks back who said that was like his 5th time trying, to go hang himself, we all laughed, but if a third party (not the person who i said it to and laughed, because they know i had been trying since launch of the expansion) reported that, and a gm whent in and dealt with it, they wouldent know the joke, they wouldent know it was not serious, and i would be banned, all because somone dident get the joke, and whent straight to a game master
    I agree. Guild matters should be handled by the guild, as they and the player have the means to do so. If the offending player continues to harass an individual after having been kicked/ignored, then a GM should get involved.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I completely agree. The guild master should have handled the situation themselves (and they did, ultimately). I just don't believe that the hostile responses that the OP has received as a result of taking an alternative, perhaps less helpful route to solving the problem, are mature by any definition of the word.

I agree. Guild matters should be handled by the guild, as they and the player have the means to do so. If the offending player continues to harass an individual after having been kicked/ignored, then a GM should get involved.
    yes correct, because at that point it is no longer a guild matter
    but the name of guild ranks
    and stuff said in guild chat is not moderated
    i have only seen stuff morderated once
    a case where a guy told the other person they will fucking kill him (found out when he whent to vist he slept with his sister) and the person who did the sleeping, reported the other and got them a temp ban, as the person it was directed at did the reporting, and it was death threat (to be fair the guys sister was a slut and was super hot... she offered to sleep with me (i was 15 at the time and a 3 hour drive from her, she was 19) for 300k (this was in late cata) and she was serious, i had later talked to a buddy who took her offer and well...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    GM's in the right. No reason to create a system that can do that. If there's stuff in the notes that you don't want in the notes, that's on the guild leader for not having the proper permissions in place.

You kicked up a bit of fuss over nothing basically.

so this is 100% false
    1. if you reported somone threatening to murder you in whispers, and find where you live, a gm would not simply go "its a guild problem"
    2. it is the guilds job to dictate what happens in their chat, blizzard owns trade chat, say chat, and general chat ,they control what can and cant be said there, but to allow people to express themselves ans have fun, they allow people to say whatever they want in guild, if you dont like it, you can leave guild chat, and you have to OPT in to go into the guild, so its your choice to subjected to that stuff
    3. again if you told your guidies this guy was threatening your life and they dident care, leave, they are odviously not your friends
    4. blizzard does not want to touch guild chat because they want to let freedom of speech be out there, but they know that the general person may not want that, so they say "hey you can say anything you want here, but these areas, are ours, you cant" like a smoking "we know we have to let you smoke, so smoke there, but not in these areas please"
    5. yes all bets are off because you have to CHOOSE to join a guild, a guild cannot force itself onto you, you opt in, do you want this to be toontown where people can only use predefined phrases "lets go to, firelands, tomorrow, okay?" "sorry, i cannot, i have, to nighthold"
    I actually still have screenshots of this on my laptop, fyi, it just feels like necro-shaming to post them.
    My initial complaint I was still in the guild and the GM just told me off and was sarcastic about it. (And recommended us not using an external voice chat. lol)
    I reported a second time after I left and got the same line from a different GM (who did way too much RP in a chat about harassment) about how they don't deal with guild problems but they'd "look into it" but I should really just keep Ignoring the person, and I reported a third time clarifying that I was no longer in the guild, and these were whispers, and it was getting worse, and they never got back to me before I ultimately stopped playing the game for a while.
    I saved all this stuff because I was actually really worried about what was happening, and wanted evidence that I'd tried to get it resolved.
    I am honestly curious if this would have happened the same if we weren't ever in a guild together, because yeah, being that lax on horrific threats was a great shock to me. It was quite a while before I even resubbed.