Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's chicken puree and soy bound together with transglutaminase. Meat glue, fun stuff. Look it up on Amazon. Can buy it. Make your own chicken breasts that appear that way.
    Citation? I know its possible, I also know those are cut to shape whole breasts. You can tell simply by cutting one apart, its a whole piece of meat, not a formed pattie like a McChicken.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I never got the Sriracha hype either. I have about 60 hot sauces in my collection right now... I should take a picture sometime.
    @Herradura Colbert didn't kick it off, he just ran with it as a joke (while eating taco bell on air, if I recall?)
    i can see the appeal of it because it's got a good amount of heat to it but not too much that it turns off consumers who don't like extra spicy foods and it also has that sweet flavor so many people seem to like so it makes sriracha a mass marketable type of spice that won't immediately turn away the average consumer with how hot it is.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

when do we test mcdonalds for beef?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvethirty View Post
    mcdonalds:wtf is beef?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvethirty View Post
    You would find likely 95% beef with the other 5% being seasonings and stabilizers. I have been to a McDs factory, seen the whole cuts of beef go in and the patties come out.

I stopped eating the oven roasted chicken at subway a while back. It tasted off :P I moved on to the turkey instead... but now I'm probably just gonna stop going altogether. The turkey actually makes me sick. I was skeptical the first time. But then there was a second, and third. Not a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Citation? I know its possible, I also know those are cut to shape whole breasts. You can tell simply by cutting one apart, its a whole piece of meat, not a formed pattie like a McChicken.
    Umm... ok, I used to butcher about 90 chickens per day. I know what a chicken breast looks like. Before and after cooking.

That's not a citation. That's just me knowing what's up.

- - - Updated - - -

You would find likely 95% beef with the other 5% being seasonings and stabilizers. I have been to a McDs factory, seen the whole cuts of beef go in and the patties come out.
    Add to that, in the US, almost all beef you buy is raised to McD standards. Unless you're going out of your way, you're probably buying the same quality at the grocery store as you get from a McD establishment.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Really? Insanity, because it's right here.. http://www.subway.com/en-ca/menunutr...ce3f650a6.ashx

I guess I don't follow fast food chains on my Twitter.
    I just cared about their crisis communication response, I don't actually follow them. I personally wouldn't be handling it how they are.

Umm... ok, I used to butcher about 90 chickens per day. I know what a chicken breast looks like. Before and after cooking.

That's not a citation. That's just me knowing what's up.
    They cut a breast to size and shape to get it to conform to their needs, like EVERY fast food chain. GO to Subway buy one, and rip it apart, its breast meat. Its not some mystery meat, its a whole breast you can see the muscle grain and everything.

If I bought a breast, beat it flat like I do, and cut into a heart shape, would you likewise claim its not real chicken? Becasue you "know what a chicken breast looks like. Before and after cooking."?
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2017-03-01 at 10:52 PM.

If I bought a breast, beat it flat like I do, and cut into a heart shape, would you likewise claim its not real chicken? Becasue you "know what a chicken breast looks like. Before and after cooking."?
    Soy is added for texture and moisture stabilization. Google for yourself. It's chicken-tofu hybrid.

Soy is added for texture and moisture stabilization. Google for yourself. It's chicken-tofu hybrid.
    1% soy does not make it a soy patty, any more than 1% salt makes it a salt patty. Its a whole chicken breast, treated with a soy solution not a soy/chicken patty.

1% soy does not make it a soy patty, any more than 1% salt makes it a salt patty. Its a whole chicken breast, treated with a soy solution not a soy/chicken patty.
    Read the OP again.

Read the OP again.
    Don't need to, I read this days ago when it broke. It claims ~50% soy, a claim which Subway disputes, rightfully so. I doubt the findings. There is not a soy/chicken patty out there that mimics muscle. And the whole breasts are whole chicken, the strips were whole chicken till they were cut.

Moreover, I am arguing that the picture shown is not of formed meat, but whole, cut to shape chicken breast. Not really concerned with the findings, I imagine there is a reason for it. My mind goes to the fact its a franchise thing, and I wonder if that specific store was up to some money saving shenanigans.
    Like everyone else, I know what meat is and looks like. I know when someone tries to pass off a "loaf" product as the real deal. None of the Subways I have ever been to has tried to. Its always been real meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a bit more information that may have been missed if you didn't click on links. This was part of a wider check on fast food products. The result for Subway was considered so unusual that it was checked again. Subway asserts a small percentage of soy is used as others here have described. The investigation, however, showed a far lower percentage of chicken DNA than would be the case if soy were merely a stabilizer. Here is a bit more info:

The chicken in your Subway chicken sandwich might not contain very much chicken meat at all.

A recent study conducted by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has found that the sandwich chain's chicken meat contains about only about 50 percent chicken DNA — or about half as much as fresh chicken from a supermarket.

The findings were part of a larger survey examining chicken items from several different fast food chains that operate in Canada, including Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Tim Hortons and A&W-- but it was Subway’s results that were most surprising to researchers, Fox 5 San Diego reports.

In the tests, most of the meat from Subway’s competitors was shown to contain 85 to 90 percent chicken DNA, but Subway’s oven roasted chicken registered at just 53.6 percent. Its chicken strips scored even lower, containing just 42.8 percent chicken DNA.

Trent University’s Wildlife Forensic DNA Laboratory, which conducted the tests for the CBC, says that chicken purchased from a butcher or supermarket should register at 100 percent chicken DNA, although the process of marinating or seasoning the meat can result in a lower percentage.

In Subway’s case, however, Trent University’s team concluded that the restaurant bolsters its chicken products with soy fillers.

“Subway’s results were such an outlier that the team decided to test them again, biopsying five new oven roasted chicken pieces, and five new orders of chicken strips,” CBC News explained.

Following the study, the CBC contacted all five restaurants from which samples were obtained. And while Subway claimed to use only 100 percent white meat chicken in their chicken products, they did admit to using soy as a stabilizer.

“Subway Canada cannot confirm the veracity of the results of the lab testing you had conducted,” the sandwich chain said in a statement.

“However, we are concerned by the alleged findings you cite with respect to the proportion of soy content. Our chicken strips and oven roasted chicken contain 1 percent or less of soy protein. We use this ingredient in these products as a means to help stabilize the texture and moisture.

“We will look into this again with our supplier to ensure that the chicken is meeting the high standard we set for all of our menu items and ingredients,” they added.
    Source: http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...icken-dna.html

I'm OK with sandwich meats being heavily processed to achieve a particular taste or texture, that's the nature of sandwich meat. I'm not OK with being told something isn't heavily processed sandwich meat when it turns out to have this high a percentage of filler. If Subway's supplier has been slipping in extra soy (quite possible) they need to squash that hard, but if binder is really filler and they know what's really going on, then I consider that fraud.

Edit: @ IIamaKing So how do you explain the percentage of chicken DNA? This isn't some vague food inspection, it's a blasted DNA test and once it is put out there it is subject to independent checking/verification.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-03-02 at 12:09 AM. Reason: need more coffee
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    If I'm buying moo moo cow meat, I want moo moo cow meat. Not Hoppity hop g'day meat.

Personally I don't overly care, unless the thrown in by-products are somehow dangerous to humans. If not, I'm fine with eating 50% moo moo cow and 50% hoppity hop roo meat in my burger
    Oh fair enough, If you want beef and get a beef/roo mix without knowing I get ya. Roo meat is delicious though

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    A bit of an acquired taste, as its a little more gamey than a lot of Americans are used to. I personally like it, reminded me of venison.
    Just need to cook it properly, low and slow and it's delicious. Our national dish is kangargoo tail soup, the tail is very tasty.

Smells like a lawsuit. Also will be interested to know what they find for products at other fast food chains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Smells like a lawsuit. Also will be interested to know what they find for products at other fast food chains.
    Naw, would never win that suit. I think the wording they use is something along the lines of "made with 100% white meat chicken", which could mean they use it as a hammer.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Naw, would never win that suit. I think the wording they use is something along the lines of "made with 100% white meat chicken", which could mean they use it as a hammer.
    idk, they already capitulated on the "foot long" thing. Used to only be 11".

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    That would be a gross misinterpretation of intended language, I very highly doubt that would fly in court.

10+ Year Old Account
    that reminds me draenei also tastes like chicken...